Replacement remote for Luxman R115?

J

jimshaw

Audiophyte
I have a Luxman R115 receiver but no remote control for it. I've scoured eBay and Google and haven't found anything. (Actually I did buy a Luxman remote off eBay that a lady kindly offered on a moneyback guarantee--it wasn't designed for the R115 and didn't work.)

I've wondered about a "learning" remote but have no experience with them. Do they actually work? I haven't even been able to find a digital code for the Luxman, so how would a learning remote be able to read the "mind" of the receiver?

An affordable remote that has gotten good reviews is the Sony RM-VL600, which apparently is way downmarket from some remotes I've seen mentioned in this forum. Does anyone know if this is something that would work for me?

Haoleb

Haoleb

Audioholic Field Marshall
To learn a remote's IR code you need the donor remote. You can just buy a cheap universal remote for 10 bucks, Go though every luxman code they have and see if any work. Its likely you will find something. Its common for different models to use the same remote code.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Luxman is an obscure name that most Universal Remotes don't have as a preset (via code). And learning functions require that you have the remote that goes with the unit in question. Logitech: Harmony uses and internet database that has many algorithms for all kinds of remotes. It probably would have the Luxman. You have to have a capable computer to utilize these features of the Harmony Remotes because they require downloading to get the controls. The Harmony is expensive, so be sure it is worth it. The Harmony will likely control any other things that you might have.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
That receiver is very old, I am thinking that anything you do is going to be risky. It was made in 87'. How is it Cable Ready I was wondering from it's description? Ha, did you know that Luxman was or still is a division of Alpine? That is funny.:)

J

jimshaw

Audiophyte
Seth, you think '87 is old? I guess I won't mention my Kenwood 7600 receiver, Technics SL1300 TTBL, Pioneer 707 tape deck or SEAS speakers.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
jimshaw said:
Seth, you think '87 is old? I guess I won't mention my Kenwood 7600 receiver, Technics SL1300 TTBL, Pioneer 707 tape deck or SEAS speakers.
I have things that old, I am just saying that newer electronics are easier to find universal remotes for. Right now I am using two Magnavox CD players(Belgium made) from 86' and 87'.:D

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
Check out the Harmony database and see if they have the codes for your receiver. Figure about $100 for the remote.

Nick

J

jimshaw

Audiophyte
Luxman R115 - Codes on Harmony site

I went to the Harmony site seeking a code for the Luxman R115 receiver and downloaded their software. But when I tried to open it, it told me that I needed an update. OK, I opted to get the update. But the download wouldn't complete and I got a message saying that I didn't have "permission" to download the file. I tried several times, and finally said the hell with it. So...:(

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
jimshaw said:
I went to the Harmony site seeking a code for the Luxman R115 receiver and downloaded their software. But when I tried to open it, it told me that I needed an update. OK, I opted to get the update. But the download wouldn't complete and I got a message saying that I didn't have "permission" to download the file. I tried several times, and finally said the hell with it. So...:(
You need the Logitech Harmony Remote before you can download anything. Having codes sent to your computer isn't going to get you anywhere without the remote.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis