Replacement Parts For Older Gear

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
So I've got this old cassette deck, Advent 201, bought it late 1974. I'd like to get a dust cover for it, have tried e-Bay, no luck. Now thinking of a plastics company? Do you think there is in USA a plastics company which will make something to the correct specs?

IMG_1067.JPG

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
How much do you want to spend? It won't be cheap. OTOH, plastic suppliers are all over and they can sell you cutoffs from orders that didn't require the whole sheet. It's not terribly hard to make things with this and they should also stock the correct cements for the plastics they sell, as well as Novus plastic polish, which will be needed to clean up the edges.

I would start by making a cardboard mock-up of the cover and transfer the shape to the plastic.

The original cover was injection-molded, so you won't find anyone to make one in the same way because it would be prohibitively expensive.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Thanks for the reply. Maybe I can find a replacement in a junk shop, or visit e-Bay every so often. I know it seems stupid to want to restore old gear, however this is the 21st Century and I was only wondering if plastics molding companies still exist that can do this kind of thing. I realize it could cost more than several hundred dollars.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for the reply. Maybe I can find a replacement in a junk shop, or visit e-Bay every so often. I know it seems stupid to want to restore old gear, however this is the 21st Century and I was only wondering if plastics molding companies still exist that can do this kind of thing. I realize it could cost more than several hundred dollars.
A company called Tap Plastics used to do replacement tt covers, maybe worth a look.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

I've seen these 3-D printing machines. And as a child I saw those injection molding devices which made toy dolphins and other crap at Marineland and SeaWorld. The tech is out there, just have to find it. :confused::oops::(

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

So I've got this old cassette deck, Advent 201, bought it late 1974. I'd like to get a dust cover for it, have tried e-Bay, no luck. Now thinking of a plastics company? Do you think there is in USA a plastics company which will make something to the correct specs?

View attachment 20287
Are you certain that machine had a rigid dust cover?

That is a Wollensak deck. Wollensak was a company that originally made camera parts I think. It was acquired a long time ago by 3M. They made tape transports and tape recorders under the Wollensak brand for many years, especially a semi pro reel to reel portable machine. Wollensak made the first decent cassette transport in St. Paul MN. The deck was entirely mechanical with no solenoid action and no electronic speed control, just a flywheel.

Despite that it was a pretty good deck. The deck was used by many manufacturers, of which Advent was one among many. They added their own electronics. The most famous deck to use the Wollensak transport was the British NEAL company which I think at that time had merged with Ferrograph, which was Wright and Weare.

They had produced a line of the finest reel reel recorder lines in the history of tape recording, and there decks were used by a large number of tape manufacturers.

Ferrograph Mk6 stereo tape recorder.

Wharfedale even produced a cassette deck using the Wollensak deck.

Now I think a few may have had hard covers, but most had soft covers that went over the whole machine. That may be why you can't find what you are looking for. I'm pretty sure my father's old NEAL deck using the Wollensak is still in the family home, where my mother still lives. I'm going over their to visit my mother in three weeks and I will see what cover it has, but I believe it is soft.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

what is a "rigid" dust cover? Mine was a clear, plastic, see-through, no-hinge type cover.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

So yours was a hard rigid cover, as opposed to soft and flexible.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis