replacement drivers

M

maddogboy

Audiophyte
hi, im new to the forum so ive spent a few hours looking through all the old posts! im not completely new to the audio world, ive normally bought named stuff but have made the choice to buy "custom speakers" ive always had floorstanding, last 2 sets where harmon kardons (i forget the model) and jamo x550's! but to cut the story down i bought a pair of "custom's" last may, 2nd hand for ₤70 ($115) all had been fine until new years eve, i had a party, music got turned up and tweeters and mids stopped working, ive had a look inside and theres no crossovers! the amps a technics SU-V470 PXS CAP. so rather than just replace the damaged drivers i want to put all new drivers in and crossovers. although i dont have a huge budget ₤250 ($400) - ₤300 ($500)!

im not bothered that ill have to ship to the uk, but what i need is;

4x10" bass drivers
2x10.5" x 4.5" midrange horns
4x4.75" x 4" tweeter horns
2x 3-way crossovers

and i really am looking at 250rms at the least!!
im starting to do birthday parties!

thanks for reading this far!!

ian

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
hi, im new to the forum so ive spent a few hours looking through all the old posts! im not completely new to the audio world, ive normally bought named stuff but have made the choice to buy "custom speakers" ive always had floorstanding, last 2 sets where harmon kardons (i forget the model) and jamo x550's! but to cut the story down i bought a pair of "custom's" last may, 2nd hand for ₤70 ($115) all had been fine until new years eve, i had a party, music got turned up and tweeters and mids stopped working, ive had a look inside and theres no crossovers! the amps a technics SU-V470 PXS CAP. so rather than just replace the damaged drivers i want to put all new drivers in and crossovers. although i dont have a huge budget ₤250 ($400) - ₤300 ($500)!

im not bothered that ill have to ship to the uk, but what i need is;

4x10" bass drivers
2x10.5" x 4.5" midrange horns
4x4.75" x 4" tweeter horns
2x 3-way crossovers

and i really am looking at 250rms at the least!!
im starting to do birthday parties!

thanks for reading this far!!

ian
That is a really complex project. We will never design that one at long range.

If there was no crossover, then I suspect the mid and HF horns were piezo types, is that correct?

It is very hard to fit woofers to a box, it is much easier to pick the woofers and then design the right box.

I know of no cheap mid horns, except expensive professional types, other than piezo ones. Now you can build simple networks that help prevent what you experienced from happening.

If this is just for parties, then I would replace your burnt out piezo devices and make a network to protect them. The drivers you have must be piezo, or they would have never worked.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis