removing dust from woofers

vizionut

vizionut

Audioholic General
My mitsubishi speakers a very old and have dust builing up around the corners of the woofers and on the woofers themselves is there a way of removing this dust buildup without hurting the woofers?

Brian_the_King

Brian_the_King

Full Audioholic
I would probably go with a vaccuum cleaner that runs backward.. or a fan.. or a can of air.. Something like that.

CraigV

CraigV

Audioholic General
With canned air be careful not to shake or invert the can while using it – the propellant will come out & make a mess of things. You might also consider one of those Swiffer dusters with a handle.

TjMV3

TjMV3

Full Audioholic
A Blush Brush (natural fibers) and gently brush away.

something like this......

http://www.eshadesofperfection.com/xcart/customer/product.php?productid=16183

But buy it at your local supermarket.....or ...CVS...or Walgreens...or Walmart. It will be a lot cheaper.

If you have a vacuume cleaner with a narrow crevice tool, you can use the crevice tool to help you suck up the dust and grit, as you clean the corners around the woofers with the blush brush. But DO NOT get the vacuume too close to the actual woofer diaphragm. Use the blush brush for the diaphragm. Be very gentle and work slowly and gently.

CraigV

CraigV

Audioholic General
A Blush Brush (natural fibers) and gently brush away.

something like this......

http://www.eshadesofperfection.com/xcart/customer/product.php?productid=16183

But buy it at your local supermarket.....or ...CVS...or Walgreens...or Walmart. It will be a lot cheaper.

If you have a vacuume cleaner with a narrow crevice tool, you can use the crevice tool to help you suck up the dust and grit, as you clean the corners around the woofers with the blush brush. But DO NOT get the vacuume too close to the actual woofer diaphragm. Use the blush brush for the diaphragm. Be very gentle and work slowly and gently.

Good call:cool:

TjMV3

TjMV3

Full Audioholic
Good call:cool:

You know where I got the idea to do it that way and use a blush brush?

From watching Jurassic Park. In the scene where the paleontologists were gently brushing the dirt off of the fossil bones:D:D

For some reason a light bulb lit up in my head. But I wasn't sure what kind of brush to use. Orginally I was thinking paint brushes.

Later on in the evening, the little woman had a blush brush sitting on the bathroom sink counter. My brain played connect the dots:D

I use a tiny makeup detail brush to clean around the tweeters and the bigger, thicker blush brush to gently brush dust off the tweeter dome. But you have to be very careful to keep the brush bristles from stabbing or puncturing the tweeter dome (in soft dome tweeters). Very gently.

Works very, very well.

Last edited:
CraigV

CraigV

Audioholic General
So…would you say your tweeters are more of an “Autumn”?:p

Just kidding man:D

annunaki

annunaki

With canned air be careful not to shake or invert the can while using it – the propellant will come out & make a mess of things. You might also consider one of those Swiffer dusters with a handle.
Swiffer dusters work fantastic on a smooth(er) surface! If the cone is Paper with a rough finish it may not work as well as pressurized air.

T

tokehectic

Audiophyte
I always go with the hoover option myself never failed me, just dont hold it too close!!!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis