Removable power cords

Tool34

Tool34

Audioholic Intern
Hey guys-

What are the advantages of having a removable power cord? Obviously it's nice to be able to remove it, but are there any structural advantages in being able to remove the power cord, for the functionality of the A/V receiver? Thanks

Chad

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
The only advantage is that you can more easily change the power cable to one of a different length.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
The only advantage is that you can more easily change the power cable to one of a different length.
Yep. This.
And if you got ripped off by a cable salesman, you can remove it and beat him with it!

Tool34

Tool34

Audioholic Intern
Thanks 'Grumpy' And I don't take advice for cable salesman. They can't sell me their snake oil.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Easier to pack in a box....
And should the power cord be damaged at one time, it's a lot easier to replace.

No, I would never buy a receiver with fixed power cord if it came with one!

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
It's also nice if you wire up everything nicely, then have an issue that requires the receiver to be swapped out, you can just unplug the power cable from the back of the receiver instead of having to undo the neat wiring job.

For me, most of the time, it's about using a different length power cable so I don't have 4 extra feet of cable I don't need.

B

Blue Dude

Audioholic
It's to replace the stock power cable with one that costs 10 times the amount of the actual source component (with plugs shaped from mpingo wood and leads of cryogenically-treated, ultra-pure silver), for punchier bass, airy highs, a chocolaty mid-range, a 3D soundstage, a subterranean noise floor, and so on, ad nauseam. Or you can accept that the last 3 feet of the (correctly-gauged) power cord doesn't have any effect on source performance so just get one in the correct gauge and length to make your system look pretty.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
makes it easier for the burglar to disconnect the power cord. :p

The thief could sue you if he gets electrocuted or other injury while stealing your AV components.

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
A lot of electronics nowadays have universal power supplies meaning that the manufacturer just needs to put the cord with the correct plug end that works in the area of the world they're sending the device to.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
It buys tech support some time when you call them and they don't know the answer to your problem. Double the value if you have two ends to check.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
It buys tech support some time when you call them and they don't know the answer to your problem. Double the value if you have two ends to check.
Lmao! It's true.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

It really makes sense to have a removable power cord. After all, all other connections in back are removable, speaker wires, inter-connect cables, etc.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
You want the real answer? It actually just struck me that there is a very specific reason for removable power cords.

The products made are international.

The power cord which is packed with your receiver is a USA power cord. But, there are a dozen plus different types of outlets throughout the world, and the power supply built into your products these days are designed to handle 120/220 current without issue. So, while the power supply handles whatever voltage it receives (more or less), the power cord can't magically switch to all these different outlets if it is hard wired to the chassis. The manufacturing line would need to specifically put a different power cord on every final destination country as part of the manufacturing process.

Now, it's part of the packaging process. You get all your Euro cords, Asian cords, American cords, etc., that get dropped in with a manual and the proper box.

If you move from one country to another, you swap the cord and are good to go.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
And should the power cord be damaged at one time, it's a lot easier to replace.

No, I would never buy a receiver with fixed power cord if it came with one!
Never had one work its way out, have you? I have, far too many times and I have had to reinsert the end in equipment that could have used a power cord that costs less and stays in place, which means it cost someone money for this since I don't live in my customer's houses. IMO, it should always have some kind of clip that allows it to release if the tension is sufficient, but can't come out when the item is at rest.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
You want the real answer? It actually just struck me that there is a very specific reason for removable power cords.

The products made are international.

The power cord which is packed with your receiver is a USA power cord. But, there are a dozen plus different types of outlets throughout the world, and the power supply built into your products these days are designed to handle 120/220 current without issue. So, while the power supply handles whatever voltage it receives (more or less), the power cord can't magically switch to all these different outlets if it is hard wired to the chassis. The manufacturing line would need to specifically put a different power cord on every final destination country as part of the manufacturing process.

Now, it's part of the packaging process. You get all your Euro cords, Asian cords, American cords, etc., that get dropped in with a manual and the proper box.

If you move from one country to another, you swap the cord and are good to go.
Wall wart and brick power supplies may work with different voltages, but most larger pieces require moving the switch's position.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

IMG_1274.JPG

If the power cord is damaged in some way you'd have to take the entire unit to the shop to be repaired, and that makes $$$ for the repair shop in labor costs. With a removable cord all you need to replace is the cord, and IF there was a power cord standard in the industry, it would be a bit easier when the time comes to swap out a piece of gear.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis