Remote speaker volume control

J

jagdriver

Audioholic Intern
Hi,

I'm confused about the using a Niles Audio MVC100IR (wall-mounted volume control with IR) with a Niles Audio SS-4 speaker selector. Niles Audio's online information states that their VCS HUB (wiring hub) is recommended for use with the MVC100IR.

My installation is nearly complete. I'm only missing a speaker selector and a wall-mounted volume control for the mstr bedroom. The SS-4 should be adequate as the speaker selector (as discussed in a previous thread), in that I'll only ever have one pair of speakers selected at any one time. These are:

One 4-ohm pair in the mstr bdrm
One 4-ohm pair on the patio
One 8-ohm pair in the living room

As for the volume control in the mstr bdrm, I'd like it to be IR-controlled so that I can adjust the volume while in bed. hence the MVC100IR. I had NOT planned on having to purchase anything else, however, and it would be near impossible to route additional cables at this point.

1) Will my plan to use the MVC100IR and SS-4 work?
2) With which remote can I control the MVC100IR?

Thanks

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
What are you using as a source device and amplification?

I will go check out the manual for that volume control. I am thinking the IR functions must be to control that volume mechanism and not be sending a signal back to your receiver to control the volume.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
What all wires did you run? You will need an IR system hub and one or more IR flashers.

Any uni remote would work or the one from Niles.

EDIT: I am backing out of this one and letting Highlander handle it. I will set back and learn more myself.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Ok I just went through the manual and you will need to run a cat5 wire to this volume control as well as speaker wires. Here is an image that shows how the wiring needs to be done. I have included the red text where the speaker selector should go.

As the Dawg:) stated you will need a Main system unit to process the IR signals and send them to your receiver.

Last edited by a moderator:
ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I just happen to know I guy who has a MSU for sale.
Ok I just went through the manual and you will need to run a cat5 wire to this volume control as well as speaker wires. Here is an image that shows how the wiring needs to be done. I have included the red text where the speaker selector should go.

As the Dawg:) stated you will need a Main system unit to process the IR signals and send them to your receiver.

J

jagdriver

Audioholic Intern
What are you using as a source device and amplification?
It's a Yamaha RX-V2700 receiver. I intend to run its zone 2 output to the Niles Audio SS-4, allowing me to select from three remote locations. The primary (zone 1) location is my family room where the surround-sound home theater is in place.

I will go check out the manual for that volume control. I am thinking the IR functions must be to control that volume mechanism and not be sending a signal back to your receiver to control the volume.
From what I can gather, Niles' MVC100IR isn't like a similar unit from On-Q whereby the IR signal is routed all the way back to the A/V receiver. The info on the hub Niles provided makes it appear to be nothing but a sort of patch panel, one of which I already have installed.

J

jagdriver

Audioholic Intern
Ok I just went through the manual and you will need to run a cat5 wire to this volume control as well as speaker wires.
Guess I should have looked into this BEFORE I buttoned everything up. Now I have two questions:

1) Does anyone make a speaker volume control whereby an IR--or RF--remote adjusts only the remote volume control unit? That is, without having to run any additional cable from the mstr bdrm to the A/V receiver location?

2) Is there any way to run a CAT5 cable after-the-fact, somehow puliing in along the existing speaker cable like they do in bridge-building?

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
If you had RF control then you wouldn't need the VC wall mounted.

It matters how the cable was ran. Is it tacked down or are the holes sealed? If not and there are no really sharp corners, you could tape the CAT5 wire and other spare wire onto the existing wire and pull it through.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
There are a couple that allow control of the selector itself, but cost would be prohibitive for home use. Do you have the second zone remote for your receiver?

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I think the answer is no. You will need to either run the wires to the AVR or go with a RF system and just use a remote and you wouldn't need the wall mounted VC.
Thanks.

Still would like an answer to Q1....

J

jagdriver

Audioholic Intern
Yes, I have the zone 2 remote. And I've got it adapted for RF, so I can pass a signal between floors. I guess I'll just go with a std. VC and skip the IR bit.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I am confused on what you are trying to do. It looks like you already have RF control via the remote so why do you want to use a VC via IR?
Yes, I have the zone 2 remote. And I've got it adapted for RF, so I can pass a signal between floors. I guess I'll just go with a std. VC and skip the IR bit.

J

jagdriver

Audioholic Intern
The A/V receiver is now tucked away in a custom-built entertainment center. The RF adapter has to be positioned someplace out in front of the receiver in order to 1) pick up the RF signal, 2) convert it back to IR, and 3) relay the IR signal back to the "eye" on the receiver. I haven't quite figured out how to get the RF/IR converter to hover in space in front of the entertainment system, hence my investigation into other solutions.

Might there be some way to reroute the IR signal to the back of the receiver or something? The receiver also has a RS232 connector that could be used for something, although I haven't taken the time to figure out what, and Yamaha's user fuide isn't much help on that topic.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Sorry I had to leave for a bit for a meeting. It looks like Dawg and bandfan have answered everything that I could help with. I was just looking at the back of your avr to see if it had IR input jacks and it does not. That would have solved your floating converter issue. Usually those devices use a flasher which would be mounted on the front of the reciever. What is the make of the IR/RF converter that you have.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
It's about time, remember, I am stepping away on this one.

I will never understand your work ethics, we have people on here who need help and you just walk away to go to some silly meeting.
Sorry I had to leave for a bit for a meeting. It looks like Dawg and bandfan have answered everything that I could help with. I was just looking at the back of your avr to see if it had IR input jacks and it does not. That would have solved your floating converter issue. Usually those devices use a flasher which would be mounted on the front of the reciever. What is the make of the IR/RF converter that you have.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
I will never understand your work ethics, we have people on here who need help and you just walk away to go to some silly meeting.
It is the worst thing about being in an office is that they can corner you and see if you are slacking.:rolleyes:

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
My office is my car but the worst thing is when someone wants to do a "ride along". Someone's boss always wants one of their employees to ride with me. Last week, it was the Clinical Manager wanting me to take a Resp. Therapist to my sleep labs, this week the VP of Clinical Ops wanted to ride with me so he could "understand" my territory. I told him no as I never know when my work day will break into a game of golf.
It is the worst thing about being in an office is that they can corner you and see if you are slacking.:rolleyes:

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I told you early this week, I ran out of booze two weeks ago and have not restocked. I am way too sober right now and don't like it.

I will be raising a toast to Ian tonight once you tell me the drink of his choice.
LOL are you serious. I thought you would have said I never know when my day will break into a bottle of scotch.:eek::D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis