Remote replacement - Marantz SR7005

S

Sylar

Full Audioholic
My remote barely works anymore. The volume buttons work but most other buttons are a struggle.
Where can I get the replacement remote? I searched around a bit but could not find it.

The model is RC011SR.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Just get a Harmony remote. Then you can control all your devices from a single gadget. The demise of your Marantz remote could be a blessing in disguise.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Forum Fiend OSP v1.3.3.

S

Sylar

Full Audioholic
Just get a Harmony remote. Then you can control all your devices from a single gadget. The demise of your Marantz remote could be a blessing in disguise.
Are you referring to this? Logitech universal remote? (I noticed there are numerous models available)
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmony-650-Remote-Control/dp/B004OVECU0

The Marantz remote was terrible even when it moderately worked. It is probably the only downside I can think of that came with my receiver.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
That is one example, yes. Programming it requires a USB connection to a PC or Mac, an internet connection, and a little patience. But being able to power on your tv, avr, and disc player with a single button press; and having the remote's volume buttons control the avr while the playback controls operate the disc player, all without having to switch sources on the remote, are highly convenient.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Forum Fiend OSP v1.3.3.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
being able to power on your tv, avr, and disc player with a single button press; and having the remote's volume buttons control the avr while the playback controls operate the disc player, all without having to switch sources on the remote, are highly convenient.
True, but there are many AVR controls that are either not available, or quite cumbersome on the Harmony... at least on mine. The Harmony is convenient for pedestrian every-day use, but I still keep my AVR remote handy, and use it quite a bit. Also, the Harmony is not particularly ergonomic in my opinion. If my AVR remote died, I would quickly replace it.

To the OP, sorry, but I've never had to replace one and don't know where I would start. I suppose a call to the mfg would be first.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
True, but there are many AVR controls that are either not available, or quite cumbersome on the Harmony... at least on mine. The Harmony is convenient for pedestrian every-day use, but I still keep my AVR remote handy, and use it quite a bit. Also, the Harmony is not particularly ergonomic in my opinion. If my AVR remote died, I would quickly replace it.

To the OP, sorry, but I've never had to replace one and don't know where I would start. I suppose a call to the mfg would be first.
All the AVR controls are available on the Harmony if you hit "Devices" then "Receiver" or whatever you named the button. This is helpful, for example, when you have the remote's primary Menu, OK, and arrow keys set in an activity to operate your HTPC, Roku, Oppo, or whatever; but you occasionally want to activate and navigate the AVR's Menu. For quicker access to more commonly used buttons (like the Movie, Music, Game, and Direct buttons), just set them in the "Additional buttons" part of the activity to make them available as soft keys. As I mentioned before, a little patience helps when setting the remote up.

The only functions the Harmony can't perform are the press-and-hold functions on the surround mode buttons. I prefer the "Auto" mode on my AVR, almost never using the virtual surround modes; so I haven't missed the press-and-hold thing. If I ever did want to switch from Dolby PLII to DTS Neo:X or some other such nonsense, I'd probably just use the Android app.

Re: ergonomics, there are a few different form factors -- some of which have been discontinued, but are still easily found on eBay. The Harmony One (what I use) feels comfortable to me, is large enough not to get lost in the cushions, and I can operate the playback controls, menu / guide / etc, and arrows without ever looking at it. The Harmony Ultimate might be a better fit if the user almost never uses the number pad and prefers something a little smaller. The Harmony 1000 or 1100 would be good if the user wants to look like a Bond villain. It's all a matter of personal preference I guess. It's not like the stock Marantz remotes offer any sort of spa experience in decadent luxury, anyway.

The best part about about Harmony remotes is also the worst part: one remote manages every device in your chain. If you are accustomed to having his-and-her remotes in the room, you're not going to have an easy time. If your wife powers on your TV using the cable box remote, for example, your Harmony has no way of knowing the cable box and TV have already been powered on, and therefore will not work as intended. If you do get a Harmony, be sure to remove the batteries from the rest of your remotes and put them all in a drawer or closet.

Last edited:
S

Sylar

Full Audioholic
I got the Logitech Harmony 650 just tonight. Had a cousin traveling back to India and made him carry it along.

Spent about 3 hours playing around with it. The remote is absolutely terrific!
You are right. I'm glad my marantz remote conked out!!!

However, there is one issue I have from what I have used so far.
I have multiple displays. The Marantz remote has a HDMI button which cycles through HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 displays. I was able to program the remote to change the display, however it behaves as a toggle. The command is 'HDMI' - I expect this to toggle since the behavior in the Marantz remote toggles. However, there are 2 other commands available - HDMIOut1 & HDMIOut2. If I use this command instead, it does nothing.

The toggle is buggy. If an activity starts with the HDMI output state that is different, compared to what the activity expects, then the activity fails to enable the correct display since it just toggled it.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
@Sylar Do you have the second display connected to Zone 2 of the AVR? I've never messed with a second display, so I'm not certain what would work best for teaching the Harmony to control it. I'm guessing that having display 1 connected to Zone 1 and display 2 on Zone 2 on the AVR would be a good start, though. Can you explain a bit about what device you use under what circumstances? Is it something like a regular television used for broadcast TV or other casual use; and a projector for watching Blu-Rays?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
While I love the idea of universal remote, my experience with Harmony remotes is that one I had 890 didn't last more than a year. Same issue across almost vast majority of owners of same model and Logitech declined to admit the issue of design.

While URC remotes are more expensive, they built like tanks, but programming might not be as easy.
Pick your battle :)

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
While I love the idea of universal remote, my experience with Harmony remotes is that one I had 890 didn't last more than a year. Same issue across almost vast majority of owners of same model and Logitech declined to admit the issue of design.

While URC remotes are more expensive, they built like tanks, but programming might not be as easy.
I've got a 790 and a One. The 790 has a dead button, but I don't remember which. It has rubber buttons. The Harmony One has hard plastic buttons. I've been using it going on 3 years now, and it's still perfect. It seems that Logitech has improved durability / longevity since the \d{3} models. Not sure that bodes well for Sylar's 650 though. I guess we'll hide and watch and see what happens.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I've got a 790 and a One. The 790 has a dead button, but I don't remember which. It has rubber buttons. The Harmony One has hard plastic buttons. I've been using it going on 3 years now, and it's still perfect. It seems that Logitech has improved durability / longevity since the \d{3} models. Not sure that bodes well for Sylar's 650 though. I guess we'll hide and watch and see what happens.
Possibly they did improve, but I paid premium for a "premium" device which Logitech failed to design and failed to support properly.
If I remember the issue wasn't material of button itself, but crappy and cheap azz switches they used. Not one but typically any frequently used button were worn out

Last edited:
Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai

I have had an assortment of Logitech remotes, the 890 was my least preferred and conked out as well.

I have had 3 Harmony ones for several years, and have not had issues other than replacing the battery. If you can still find this unit, I highly recommend.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
I've not even had to replace the battery. I don't leave mine on the charging cradle all the time. Instead, I wait until the battery indicator gets down into the orange before putting it on the cradle, letting it charge overnight. Then I take it off the next morning and put it back on the arm of my seat. A charge lasts a couple of months I guess. I haven't tracked my charging, but I know it's very infrequent. It's too bad the charger isn't smart, but I have my routine worked out now so it doesn't matter.

Last edited:
A

avnut

Audiophyte
I've been using two Harmony One Remotes and they've largely been excellent. Way better than any supplied remote I've used. The only downside to me is that while they are highly customizable, they are not 100% customizable. I am about to dive head first into a URC MX-980 as a result and will give programming a go. I would agree though that the Logitech's are a very good solution for most setups.

S

Sylar

Full Audioholic
@Sylar Do you have the second display connected to Zone 2 of the AVR? I've never messed with a second display, so I'm not certain what would work best for teaching the Harmony to control it. I'm guessing that having display 1 connected to Zone 1 and display 2 on Zone 2 on the AVR would be a good start, though. Can you explain a bit about what device you use under what circumstances? Is it something like a regular television used for broadcast TV or other casual use; and a projector for watching Blu-Rays?
Everything is connect to the same zone - zone 1.

I basically have a TV and a monitor.
I use the TV mostly for videos only - movies, sports, etc all from PC.
The monitor I usually use when I need to browse the PC or listen to music.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis