Relocating sound stage and your thoughts pls.

B

Bahtman

Junior Audioholic
Originally on the left wall, if it makes a big difference I can build a wall in the center facing the house front and drape covered walls.

It would eliminate having to pull the towers 3-4’ out from the wall (as there would be none), optimize surround locations correctly and provide good rear locations if I decided to use them, and the sloped ceiling would now run parallel to the mains.

The back of the new wall would face the kitchen; I could also add additional cabs/shelving and separate the rooms more.

Just a random thought, but I would Shirley appreciate your input before I go any further.

As always, thanks in advance for providing me with such a knowledgeable group of folks to gain insight from.
new elev.jpg DSC00988 (800x600).jpg Old plan pic.jpg New Plan View (445x640).jpg

DD66000

DD66000

Senior Audioholic
A 22ft wide room is certainly wide enough, for proper placement of the LCRs.
The house I built had an 18ft wide room, and it was very good.
But I would not want to be facing the kitchen, while seated. I am seeing that right?
If it were me, I'd want the screen/LCRs along the new wall.

B

Bahtman

Junior Audioholic
A 22ft wide room is certainly wide enough, for proper placement of the LCRs.
The house I built had an 18ft wide room, and it was very good.
But I would not want to be facing the kitchen, while seated. I am seeing that right?
If it were me, I'd want the screen/LCRs along the new wall.

Actually, the proposed wall would separate the kitchen from the main room with the cabinets and bookcase on the kitchen side and the TV with LCR on the opposite side, effectively blocking the kitchen from the viewing side. The new wall could be made wider as well.

Astatically it would look really look nice from both sides but I was wondering if it would be a better sound stage with the back angled wall (curtained) about 25' from the LCR's and TV.

No walls to pull the speakers away from, correctly placed surrounds and good locations for the rears if I ever wanted to add them.

I see a lot of positives here, but am looking for the down side as well, if any.

I'd do a mock up if it would be an acoustical improvement, hence I defer to the experts here.

Thanks DD

DD66000

DD66000

Senior Audioholic
OK, get the new wall.
But do I understand correctly, your another thought, is to place the screen/LCRs in front of the curved window wall?
So your back would be to the new kitchen wall?
Then be able to add rear surrounds to the new wall.

Here is a look at my current setup: Kinda the same thing.

Attachments

B

Bahtman

Junior Audioholic
OK, get the new wall.
But do I understand correctly, your another thought, is to place the screen/LCRs in front of the curved window wall?
So your back would be to the new kitchen wall?
Then be able to add rear surrounds to the new wall.

Here is a look at my current setup: Kinda the same thing.
No, no. Placing the screen and LCR's on the opposite side of the wall with the windows 19' back behind the MLP.

The wall facing the open kitchen would have the cabs/bookcases and the other side would have the soundstage.

Rears, if used would be at the window wall.

Nice rugs by the way.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis