Recommended Computer Sound Card - Audiophile Quality

I

incurablegeek

Enthusiast
I need an audiophile (computer) quality sound card for:

1) Onkyo TX-8050 amp
2) Polk Audio Tsi-500 floorstanding speakers
3) Klipsch subwoofer

Which card do you recommend as kicking butt these days?

Note: For stereo only, No Gaming, Audiophile Quality.

Thanks!

-------------------
Apparently no need for a sound card, since all I need to do is run Optical Out from my Crosshair V motherboard to Optical In of my Onkyo TX-8050 to run FLAC tunes from my computer.

Last edited:
anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
If you have an optical output from your computer use the optical input on your Onkyo receiver. If you don't have that output on your computer just pick up a USB DAC which is a sound card and your good to go. Look up USB DAC at amazon and you will get a load of choices. You never mentioned a budget as well ?

I

incurablegeek

Enthusiast
Thank you, anamorphic96. As usual, I'm a bit behind the 8-ball. Just been reading and see that I don't even need a sound card!

So I should just run the optical out from my ASUS Crosshair V motherboard to the optical in of my Onkyo TX-8050 and I will be able to stream FLAC tunes via MediaMonkey?

If so, that saves me a ton of money - and headache.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
The Asus board has a very good audio section including an 8-channel DAC, Blu-ray playback and optical out. Try it and see how well it works..
Be sure you have the latest firmware & drivers installed.

Just my $0.05... ;)

dalumberjack

dalumberjack

Audioholic
The Asus board has a very good audio section including an 8-channel DAC, Blu-ray playback and optical out. Try it and see how well it works..
Be sure you have the latest firmware & drivers installed.

Just my $0.05... ;)
What he said. Asus's cards like the Essence ST or Essence STX are the way to go.

Turtle beach used to be a good option, but I believe they don't make cards anymore.

I

incurablegeek

Enthusiast
The suggestion has been made to go with the motherboard Optical Out directly to the Onkyo amp Optical In.

OK, now perhaps this is a foolish question but what is to be gained from going from the Optical Out of PCI sound card over simply pulling from the Optical Out of the motherboard?

As I believe I mentioned, I have an HT Omega Claro in another computer from which I run an Optical to an amp. So was it a waste of money to have even purchased this fairly expensive card, when I could have simply gone from motherboard to amp?

Just curious. Is "incurablegeek Ignoramus" a label for newbies? If so, it is grossly offensive.

For what it's worth I've been a university professor for many years and have yet to be labeled "Ignoramus".

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
The suggestion has been made to go with the motherboard Optical Out directly to the Onkyo amp Optical In.

OK, now perhaps this is a foolish question but what is to be gained from going from the Optical Out of PCI sound card over simply pulling from the Optical Out of the motherboard?

As I believe I mentioned, I have an HT Omega Claro in another computer from which I run an Optical to an amp. So was it a waste of money to have even purchased this fairly expensive card, when I could have simply gone from motherboard to amp?
In a word, Yup.

If you are gonna use optical, then all the "heavy lifting" is done by the DAC in the reciever, the data is just streamed over optical.

The real value in a sound card is when it has high quality DACs. If you are using optical out, then probably no real advantage over optical off the mobo. You can try it both ways and will most likely not hear a difference.

Personally, I like to use the optical on my mobo or from a ~$30 dollar sound card out to my receiver. Computers can be electrically noisy environment, so I prefer to keep it in digital domain in the computer.

I

incurablegeek

Enthusiast
Marvelous!
That's been hugely helpful. Thank you!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis