Recommended $200'ish Polk Audio bookshelf speakers?

P

Parasitic

Enthusiast
Hello.

I'm on a really tight budget and I've been trying to decide between these Polk Audio models but have been really indecisive since they're all about the same price:

Tsi200
Rti4
Rti A1

I understand the the RTI4's are much cheaper because they've been replaced by the newer ones in the same series but I read that they actually sound a little better than the RTI A1's.

And for this price range, how do they stand up against the TSI series? I'm currently replacing some really old floor-standing speakers in a 5.1 setup with a Denon 1712 receiver.

If anyone has any experience with these some feedback would be nice.
Thanks!

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I'm on a really tight budget and I've been trying to decide between these Polk Audio models but have been really indecisive since they're all about the same price:
Tsi200
Rti4
Rti A1
Why is Polk, the only one on your list?

P

Parasitic

Enthusiast
Why is Polk, the only one on your list?
Are there better options in this price range? I mostly went with these because I was hearing some good about them. I figured if I wasn't very specific and just said any in the $200-250 range, I'd end up getting too many random recommendations. Is there a brand/model most people tend to agree on in this case?

P

Parasitic

Enthusiast
Does the price difference have a say in quality between these? I wouldn't mind going upto about $250.

I also should probably mention I'm using a sub too. It's definitely not the greatest but my current setup sounds pretty bad without it. I'd really like some clarity in the sound rather than something that's a bit boomy.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Does the price difference have a say in quality between these? I wouldn't mind going upto about $250.

I also should probably mention I'm using a sub too. It's definitely not the greatest but my current setup sounds pretty bad without it. I'd really like some clarity in the sound rather than something that's a bit boomy.
Price does not guarantee quality, it mainly comes down to design
and engineering > that the designer can pull off in a certain price
range. My favorite is the Cambridge Audio - I do not claim that it
is perfect - however, it is a rare find to me > and the bass is good
to around 60hz, tight and controlled - with no artificial bass bump.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
I would take any RTi speaker over any TSi speaker unless I had a very large room.

That said - and I say this as someone who owned multiple Polk speakers - I would look elsewhere.

What is your room like and what do you listen to?

P

Parasitic

Enthusiast
I would take any RTi speaker over any TSi speaker unless I had a very large room.

That said - and I say this as someone who owned multiple Polk speakers - I would look elsewhere.

What is your room like and what do you listen to?
It's somewhat small. Not a whole lot of room due to a bed taking up space. I don't have speaker stands at the moment so whatever I get I'm gonna have to set on top of my floorstandings speakers, which I'll be disconnecting afterwards - it's definitely not hugely noticeable but the tweeters on one of the speakers seems to be sliiiightly bad now. The same one has a small'ish opening on the midrange driver (they're very, very old).

I pretty much do nothing but gaming. It's rare that I actually listen to music.

Price does not guarantee quality, it mainly comes down to design
and engineering > that the designer can pull off in a certain price
range. My favorite is the Cambridge Audio - I do not claim that it
is perfect - however, it is a rare find to me > and the bass is good
to around 60hz, tight and controlled - with no artificial bass bump.
Well I'll take your word for it after that Denon xx12 series recommendation. It did wonders for my sound. I didn't realize how horrible my subwoofer sounded on my previous receiver till I finally got it setup properly on the Denon.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
I would probably get a pair of SVS SBS-02 speakers.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
I have the SuperZeroes. I had a pair doing L/R duty before upgrading to SuperOnes and moving them to surround.

They are awesome but they have absolutely nothing remotely approaching any bass at all. They need a sub that can play cleanly and smoothly up to about 120 Hz. OP doesn't really seem to have that. They're also pretty picky about placement and seating location and source material.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I pretty much do nothing but gaming. It's rare that I actually listen to music.
As good as the S30 is, if you are going to do mostly gaming >
then look at something like the Boston A26 - if you are into
true high volume, for gaming.

Last edited:
P

Parasitic

Enthusiast
As good as the S30 is, if you are going to do mostly gaming >
then look at something like the Boston A26 - if you are into
true high volume, for gaming.
I'll give these a look.

I'm a bit undecided between all of the ones linked so I'll read around for some reviews. At the same time, I don't think I've had enough experience with speakers in general to really determine the smaller differences between them. I think I'm still at that point where just about anything that's recent will satisfy me until I've spend lots of time with it to feel it's time to go up another step up.

Anyways, I read some good things about those SVS SBS-02's along with the S30's that you recommended. One thing I did read a few times was that people were surprised with their bass. How's the clarity/high-end on them?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I'll give these a look.

Anyways, I read some good things about those SVS SBS-02's along with the S30's that you recommended. One thing I did read a few times was that people were surprised with their bass. How's the clarity/high-end on them?
There are some 5 and 6 inch woofer speakers out there, that drop
off in the bass, before the Cambridge does.

The clarity on the Cambridge S30 is good, the sound is clear and
not muddy > they have good detail. The speaker is not hooty, or
shouty sounding - voices are open/clear with no cupped hands, or
a nasal/congested sound character, and no excess sibilance. Also,
the Instruments and sound effects will be easy to pick up, and this
speaker has good imaging, with a nice soundstage. Have you read
the review/link, that I listed in post #4, it can give you some more
insight.

I have not listened to the SVS speaker. The final decision is yours
to make > and good luck.

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Pair of Behringer 2030P passive monitors from Guitar center
GuitarCenter

Apply coupon: SPRING30 for extra $15.
2030p sold as each, so if you place two separate orders you could get each for $93 with free shipping :D

These are highly recommended. Few mods exist around here to make them even better if desired and the only big CON is these don't have front grills - WYSIWYG

P

Parasitic

Enthusiast
I have not listened to the SVS speaker. The final decision is yours
to make > and good luck.
Doh, post got deleted after restarting Chrome.

I was reading around on another forum last night and the S30's received tons of praise. I think the price is good too considering that it'll be a while before I know exactly what kind of sound I want, so it'd probably be best to avoid the pricy stuff for now. I might check around for some review's on the A26's but I really think I'll end up going with the S30. Hopefully I'll be able to make a decision by tonight.

Thanks for your recommendations everyone!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis