Recommendations? Budget 5.1 Speakers For Stereo Listening

S

Suntower

Enthusiast
Hi,

Total noob question...

I'm a musician with a quite decent 2.1 studio.

In my home, I have a typically crappy 5.1 'home theatre'---which is -fine- for watching most movies. It -can- play CDs, but the sound ain't pretty.

I have a separate 'stereo' from the 70's (Ohm speakers anyone) which I use to play 'records'. And it sounds -fine- for my needs.

I'd like to combine the two, but most budget 'AV Receivers' or all-in-one systems seem to only accommodate one speaker system---which is 5.1.

SO:
1. Are there budget 'all-in-one' 5.1 systems which have a second stereo speaker output?

2. Or are there 5.1 speaker systems which have front speakers which are suitable for -decent- stereo playback?

Maybe this seems odd, but I have -very- different audio needs for watching, say, 'The Matrix', vs. listening to classical music. Most budget =receivers= I've looked at are fine for my needs, but the speakers at the low end are just not made for stereo.

Suggestions?

TIA!

---JC

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Generally the receiver 5.1 systems have a button on the remote, that will
allow you to select stereo - and the audio will come out of the front L/R
speakers - no seperate hook up is needed. What 5.1 system do you have
now?
Do you have a buget in mind for some type of upgrade? You can also get
a receiver with a zone 2 option, and use that for a seperate stereo music
station - also there are some speakers out there, that are good for both
music and movies.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
1. Are there budget 'all-in-one' 5.1 systems which have a second stereo speaker output?

2. Or are there 5.1 speaker systems which have front speakers which are suitable for -decent- stereo playback?
1. A good $500 7.1/5.1 Receiver can do both surround sound movies and play 2.0/2.1 music extremely well. Especially in direct or pure direct modes, you won't even be able to tell a difference between a receiver and an analog stereo preamp in terms of sound quality.

2. Just don't buy those Theater - in - a - box systems. You can buy towers or something like five identical $85 Infinity P163 monitor/bookshelf speakers and they will do just fine for both music and movies. Just add a budget $500 Rythmik FV12 subwoofer.

Infinity Primus P163 Bookshelf speaker at Crutchfield.com

Rythmik FV12 - vented HT sub

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
You're going at this backwards.

Maybe you have to look beyond the low end to get what you want. Many times you get what you pay for.

If music is important, what always suggest is that when searching for a 5.1 system, you take your music and audition only the front L/R speakers using music as a test. No subwoofer, no DSP, just pure stereo. When you find a pair that matches, go for the matching center and surrounds.

Start looking in your budget and get auditioning.

And most, not all, receivers have an A/B speaker switch but this would entail a separate stereo speaker pair. Again, maybe you need to luup a little upscale here, Is that what you want?

Last edited:
S

Suntower

Enthusiast
I have a Samsung A38? 5 speakers, 5 DVD/CD player FM tuner. I think it was $300 4-5 years ago.

I've looked @ a few systems with a 2nd zone and it seems like that's just a pre-amp output... or do I have it wrong?

If they had a unit with a 2nd set of 'Speaker Outs' that would do the trick---I'd just use my current stereo speakers, but the low end units I've looked @ (eg. Onkyo) only seem to have 1 set of powered outs.

I guess I'm thinking in the $500-600 range---which is probably too cheap.

If you have recommendations for 'dual-purpose' speakers, I'm all ears.

(I kill me.)

Thanks,

---JC

Generally the receiver 5.1 systems have a button on the remote, that will
allow you to select stereo - and the audio will come out of the front L/R
speakers - no seperate hook up is needed. What 5.1 system do you have
now?
Do you have a buget in mind for some type of upgrade? You can also get
a receiver with a zone 2 option, and use that for a seperate stereo music
station - also there are some speakers out there, that are good for both
music and movies.

S

Suntower

Enthusiast
2. Just don't buy those Theater - in - a - box systems.
LOL. Is there any other kind? :D

OK, so now were' gettin' somewhere. So your suggestion is in the $1,500 range for speakers and receiver. That's a bit much for me.

I -would- be quite interested in a $500 -receiver- with separate speaker outs so I could re-purpose my current cheap-o 5.1 speakers and my decent (though ancient) stereo speakers. Anything like that out there?

THANKS!

---JC

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I've looked @ a few systems with a 2nd zone and it seems like that's just a pre-amp output... or do I have it wrong?

If they had a unit with a 2nd set of 'Speaker Outs' that would do the trick---I'd just use my current stereo speakers, but the low end units I've looked @ (eg. Onkyo) only seem to have 1 set of powered outs.
This Yamaha receiver has an amp for zone 2 - you go into the menu,
and you assign the surround back channels for zone 2
The 667
Amazon.com: Yamaha RX-V667 7.2-Channel Home Theater Receiver (Black): Electronics

•7-channel 630W powerful surround sound (90W x 7)
•HD Audio format decoding: Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio; Dolby Digital Plus and DTS-HD High Resolution Audio
•Discrete amp configuration
•Pure Direct for HD audio and video enjoyment •Low jitter PLL circuitry
•Assignable amplifiers for bi-amp connection
•Intelligent assignable amplifiers for Surround Back / Front Presence or Zone 2 connection

I do not believe, that I would use those Samsung low profile speakers with this receiver

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis