Recommendation on Receiver please?

I

infoe

Enthusiast
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello all, first post on this forum but have been reading and following for a while.

I'm receiving my Samsung LNS4695D today (2hdmi). I also have intentions on signing up to Dish network HD'S Platinum service in which I would connect receiver directly to TV (1 hdmi), and lastly I will be purchasing a playstation 3 the day it comes out (1 hdmi).

Right now, I have VERY little need for a receiver as I live in my parents townhome still and I can't enjoy a nice loud movie and as I read I see that receivers are not completely up to par with full HD in terms of passing through 1080p or bluray discs.

With my upcoming setup should I just wait till I move out early next year and give the receiver market a chance to catchup to the HD market (ie: 1080p, hdmi 1.3), or is it still recommended anyways to get a receiver and have it connected in the meantime. I was thinking in terms of the yamaha 2700...or the new STR-DA5200ES which Im seeing supports 1080p. I think I might be confused in terms of what I need the receiver to do for me, because I think the issue is upscaling which im not sure on. But I do intend to have the ps3 play blu-ray dvd's hopefully as they come down in price. (I'm looking more into future and worried less about the present right now, thats why I bought/buying th equipment I did)

any tips and advice would be appreciated.

Mr. Lamb Fries

Mr. Lamb Fries

Full Audioholic
All this depends on your budget, disposable income, and desire to have the "latest and greatest. Were I you, here is how I would look at it...If you buy "new" technology today, it will be old news a year from now. If you are looking towards the future, but DONT need anything right now, I would wait until you are ready to use the receiver's features you are looking at. Not to say you wont be happy with the purchase, but you would pay a little more for something you wont need for a little while. If you are dying to get something for the time being, I would get a receiver that fits you needs for a couple of hundered $'s and then upgrade as you see fit. A good (maybe used/refurbished) 5.1 receiver can be bought for $250-300 and that would hold you over for for the time being. You'll find that a lot of people on this site are waiting until the dust settles on the HD Blu-ray scenario. At that point you should see the price fall on a number of receivers that can pass through 1080p to your TV. Until that time, you should be satisfied with a 5-600$ (including speakers) set-up in the townhouse.

Just saw on the Buckeyefan1's...Deals page
http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4128746

I

infoe

Enthusiast
Thanks alot for the response, My issue is this...I'm still newb with A/V so bare with me. From the equipment that Im purchasing HD satellite and playstation 3 (bluray dvd watching intended). If I buy the latest Receiver NOW will it not be up to date in terms of the equipment that I have at the house which is a 1080p tv and 1080p dvd player (ps3) Will the receiver make me lose anything? (signal/ a/v quality).

I semi understand the concept that some receivers can upscale to 1080p and some can not. If I am already playing a 1080p signal dvd to a 1080p tv I dont need anything upscaled...but will the receiver be it an intermediate one that might or might not support (dont know if thats correct) 1080p be able to pass through that signal and not lose anything?

Basically and sorry for making this post so long...I dont feel I need any help with a receiver when it comes in terms of video...but I want to buy myself a nice set of Definitive Tech ProCinema 5.1 either 800 or 1000 whatever I can get best deal on and want a receiver to play the audio and get the most out of the speakers.

If theres anything that Im missing or need educating on in terms of what the receiver will benefit ME in terms of the equipment that I own it will be appreciated.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
infoe said:
Thanks alot for the response, My issue is this...I'm still newb with A/V so bare with me. From the equipment that Im purchasing HD satellite and playstation 3 (bluray dvd watching intended). If I buy the latest Receiver NOW will it not be up to date in terms of the equipment that I have at the house which is a 1080p tv and 1080p dvd player (ps3) Will the receiver make me lose anything? (signal/ a/v quality).

I semi understand the concept that some receivers can upscale to 1080p and some can not. If I am already playing a 1080p signal dvd to a 1080p tv I dont need anything upscaled...but will the receiver be it an intermediate one that might or might not support (dont know if thats correct) 1080p be able to pass through that signal and not lose anything?

Basically and sorry for making this post so long...I dont feel I need any help with a receiver when it comes in terms of video...but I want to buy myself a nice set of Definitive Tech ProCinema 5.1 either 800 or 1000 whatever I can get best deal on and want a receiver to play the audio and get the most out of the speakers.

If theres anything that Im missing or need educating on in terms of what the receiver will benefit ME in terms of the equipment that I own it will be appreciated.
Depending on your TV, you can connect the PS3 directly to the TV. You are correct, if your source material is in 1080p, your TV has a native resolution of 1080, you are set.
This receiver will not do the HD high bit rate DD/DTS, but I am not sure you will miss much. Besides, by the time that comes around that receiver might be ready for a change:D and it wasn't much to begin with, a few night on the town.;)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis