Recommendation for Replacement 12" driver

lancer360

lancer360

Junior Audioholic
I have an enclosure I built for a 12" sub following the Audax HT plans. Enclosure has a net internal volume of 80 liters tuned to 30 Hz with a 4" diameter x 7" front port. The current driver is damaged and I need to replace it. Plate amp is rated for 350 watts. Opening for the driver is 11" diameter with a 12 1/16" diameter by 3/8" deep recess for flush mounting. I'm looking for a recommendation on a replacement driver, preferably something that can handle more power than the 120w Audax HT300Z2.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
I have an enclosure I built for a 12" sub following the Audax HT plans. Enclosure has a net internal volume of 80 liters tuned to 30 Hz with a 4" diameter x 7" front port. The current driver is damaged and I need to replace it. Plate amp is rated for 350 watts. Opening for the driver is 11" diameter with a 12 1/16" diameter by 3/8" deep recess for flush mounting. I'm looking for a recommendation on a replacement driver, preferably something that can handle more power than the 120w Audax HT300Z2.
The cutout is exactly 11 inches? The Infinity 1260w would be a pretty decent drop-in replacement, but its cutout diameter is 11 1/8 inches. Would also be optimal if you could lengthen the port to 18 7/8 inches, although it models reasonably well as-is without changing the vent length. Are you in the United States?

Last edited:
lancer360

lancer360

Junior Audioholic
I am in the US. I can tweak the opening in the box some, just can't get too crazy as there isn't much room between the radius on the front of the port and the recess for the driver. Lengthening the port isn't an option as both ends of the port are glued into MDF and then had a radius cut. I'll look at that Infinity. Any thoughts on a TC Epic or LMS-R?

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
I am in the US. I can tweak the opening in the box some, just can't get too crazy as there isn't much room between the radius on the front of the port and the recess for the driver. Lengthening the port isn't an option as both ends of the port are glued into MDF and then had a radius cut. I'll look at that Infinity. Any thoughts on a TC Epic or LMS-R?
Epic models fairly well, but it's been discontinued. LMS-R models with a 4dB hump around 32Hz.

JL Audio 12w3v3 4Ω models well with that config. Has an F3 of 26.8Hz, and at 350W it'll hit over 114dB. It's a little pricey though. Edit: Eminence Lab 12C models nearly identically to the JL Audio, but it's cheaper and similarly well-reputed. Here's how it models in an 80L box tuned to 30Hz on 350W of power at 1 meter:

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis