Recommendation for a music amplifier (low-end)?

S

shnjb

Audioholic Intern
I just purchased stereo speakers: "Pioneer SP-BS22-LR Andrew Jones Designed Bookshelf".

I'm quite new to audio setups.
My foray into this world was my recent HT setup purchases, with the Klipsch reference 5.1 speaker set (not the real high-end reference set though) which cost about 1000 dollars for the 5.1.

Having learned that home theater speakers are not suitable for music, I just purchased a pioneer SP-BS22-LR after reading some good reviews about them on various websites.

Now I need a reasonably priced amplifier to go with them.

Ideally I would like to be able to connect airplay although i could achieve that with apple airport express to the amp.

Any recommendations?

Because i'm such a newb, I don't even know how much money i need to spend although i read that pioneer a20s are good.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Lets start with audio terminology first since you seem to be confused with it:

amplifier - only amplifies the signal and nothing else
Pre-Amplifier - does NOT amplifies the signal, but controls the volume and analog switching inputs
Integrated amplifier (like Pio A-20's) - contains both pieces above

Receiver - just like IA above contains Amps and pre-amps, but in addition it has DACs, other digital audio processing, and a video switching and processing

The thing with using ether airplay or airport express is these use a digital audio signal - which if noticed only possible in the realm of Receivers

AJ's BS22 are very good value speakers, but they don't have much bass and you'd want to pair a sub with them anyhow which is better handled by receiver again:

This one would work nicely:
DENON AVR-E300 5.1 3D Networking Receiver AirPlay | Accessories4less

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I just purchased stereo speakers: "Pioneer SP-BS22-LR Andrew Jones Designed Bookshelf".

I'm quite new to audio setups.
My foray into this world was my recent HT setup purchases, with the Klipsch reference 5.1 speaker set (not the real high-end reference set though) which cost about 1000 dollars for the 5.1.

Having learned that home theater speakers are not suitable for music, I just purchased a pioneer SP-BS22-LR after reading some good reviews about them on various websites.

Now I need a reasonably priced amplifier to go with them.

Ideally I would like to be able to connect airplay although i could achieve that with apple airport express to the amp.

Any recommendations?

Because i'm such a newb, I don't even know how much money i need to spend although i read that pioneer a20s are good.
For around $400:

Amazon.com: Denon AVR-1913 7.1 Channel 3D Pass Through and Networking Home Theater AV Receiver with AirPlay: Electronics

Amazon.com: Yamaha RX-V475 5.1-Channel Network AV Receiver with Airplay: Electronics

or $700, have pre-outs so you have to option to add external multichannel power amps:

Amazon.com: Yamaha RX-V475 5.1-Channel Network AV Receiver with Airplay: Electronics

S

shnjb

Audioholic Intern
Wouldn't home theater receivers be better suited for home theater? Or is that to address the lack of bass?

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
If you are looking for a good musical 2 channel amp for a music only system, then I would keep the signal path as short as possible, with something like an integrated amp, what is your actual budget?

emotiva mini X $219 class ab {I have a couple of these}
Topping TP60 $220 class t {I like this amp}

or you can go with something as affordable as the Lepai 202 for $20 {I own this too and its a really nice sounding amp}

A good middle of the road unit is the Dayton 100a Dayton Audio DTA-100a Class-T Digital Amplifier 50 WPC Provides Power To Computer Speakers, Bookshelf Speakers, Headphones, And More! 300-383

the best bang for buck power and features would be the dayton apa150 Dayton Audio APA150 150W Power Amplifier | 300-812

if you want more than an integrated amp, go to accessories4less and they have some stereo receivers cheap on refurb discount... I don't like using an AVR for music..

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Lets start with audio terminology first since you seem to be confused with it:

amplifier - only amplifies the signal and nothing else
Pre-Amplifier - does NOT amplifies the signal, but controls the volume and analog switching inputs
Integrated amplifier (like Pio A-20's) - contains both pieces above

Receiver - just like IA above contains Amps and pre-amps, but in addition it has DACs, other digital audio processing, and a video switching and processing

That is not right for what a receiver is. A receiver is a power amplifier, preamplifier, and tuner in one box. It can have other things, like DACs and video processing and surround processing, but none of those other things are necessary for it to be a receiver. But it does have to have a tuner to be a receiver.

The thing with using ether airplay or airport express is these use a digital audio signal - which if noticed only possible in the realm of Receivers

Digital to analog conversion can occur in integrated amplifiers or in preamps. For example:

Marantz US | PM6005

Amplifiers | A-9050 | Onkyo USA

Product: A-H01 | TEAC

The essential things for being an integrated amplifier are that it has a power amplifier, preamplifier, and no tuner (because if it had a tuner as well, then it would be a receiver). It can have other things in it (like DACs, surround processors, video switching, video processing, etc.), but those other things are not necessary for it being an integrated amplifier.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Wouldn't home theater receivers be better suited for home theater? Or is that to address the lack of bass?
A home theater receiver would be an excellent way to be able to properly add bass, as all (or nearly all) home theater receivers these days have decent bass management (a crossover such that it divides the frequencies, sending the upper ones to the main speakers, and the lower ones to the subwoofer), and will automatically adjust the relative levels for you (if you set the microphone in the right place oriented correctly; see the manual for whatever one is using).

But it is also often a practical choice anyway, due to the economy of scale. Basically, the more of something that a manufacturer makes, the less it costs the manufacturer to make it. Home theater receivers are very popular, so one can get more with one of them than one will get with less popular gear.

Also, speakers that are ideal for home theater are also ideal for music. Ideally, a speaker exactly reproduces the signal that is sent to it, which is ideal for both home theater and music. Many times, though, people are willing to make different sacrifices in quality (in order to save money or space or both) for music versus home theater, and so that leads to people saying that some speakers are better for one than the other. Good speakers are good for both.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Not sure what people mean by these don't have bass? For a 4" driver, they have surprisingly good bass and can handle a medium sized room with adequate power. Since it is just for music, I'll agree with ImcLoud on the X A-100 or TP60, I also own both and either will be plenty to drive the BS22s. I'd probably opt for the A-100 simply because it has an output which means you would be able to feed a sub line level signal from it. You'd have to figure out another way to use the AirPort though.

Here's another one that has bluetooth built in, but lacks an output for a sub:

http://www.parts-express.com/lepai-lp7498e-200w-class-d-digital-amplifier-with-bluetooth-and-power-supply--310-298

S

shnjb

Audioholic Intern
Not sure what people mean by these don't have bass? For a 4" driver, they have surprisingly good bass and can handle a medium sized room with adequate power. Since it is just for music, I'll agree with ImcLoud on the X A-100 or TP60, I also own both and either will be plenty to drive the BS22s. I'd probably opt for the A-100 simply because it has an output which means you would be able to feed a sub line level signal from it. You'd have to figure out another way to use the AirPort though.

Here's another one that has bluetooth built in, but lacks an output for a sub:

http://www.parts-express.com/lepai-lp7498e-200w-class-d-digital-amplifier-with-bluetooth-and-power-supply--310-298
Do you mean the Dayton 100a?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
That is not right for what a receiver is. A receiver is a power amplifier, preamplifier, and tuner in one box. It can have other things, like DACs and video processing and surround processing, but none of those other things are necessary for it to be a receiver. But it does have to have a tuner to be a receiver.
Yes, mr Right - your definition of receiver is same as the book one.

Digital to analog conversion can occur in integrated amplifiers or in preamps. For example:
Marantz US | PM6005
Amplifiers | A-9050 | Onkyo USA
Product: A-H01 | TEAC
The essential things for being an integrated amplifier are that it has a power amplifier, preamplifier, and no tuner (because if it had a tuner as well, then it would be a receiver). It can have other things in it (like DACs, surround processors, video switching, video processing, etc.), but those other things are not necessary for it being an integrated amplifier.
Dac on integ amp is certainly possible, but that is really really close to stereo receiver minus the tuner part of course, which most folks don't care about anyhow, not in homes anyhow anymore..
Days of sitting down and listening to the "wireless" are LONG, LONG gone...

Bottom line is this - OP needs are: Amp, pre-amp, dac, bass-management and possibly an airplay. If you can find such equipment for less than Denon E300 - power to you.

S

shnjb

Audioholic Intern
It could more than OK for 4" woofer - SP-BS22 listening window.JPG Full Screen Image | Audioholics , but it would benefit very much so from pairing with good musical sub even for music ... (depends on type of music of course)
So you would recommend the denon 300?

I have a "home theater" receiver which is the pioneer vsx 1123.
But it's being used for my theater setup with projector.
Maybe I should use this for my music instead and use the denon for home theater?

It seems that the Dayton 100a doesn't have a subwoofer output.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would get a new or open-box Denon AVR from a local store like Best Buy and have them price match Amazon or another online retailer.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
OK, so you are building a music only system and you want an AVR? don't listen to these guys, lol... MUSIC ONLY, NO video circuits allowed...

OK- not sure if there was a real budget yet, but here is what i would do low budget..

SVS SB-1000 - 300 Watt DSP Controlled, 12" Ultra Compact Sealed Subwoofer - nice musical sub, will do the job fine and guess what? handles your bass management...

this dac Amazon.com: Audioengine D1 24-bit Digital-to-Analog Converter: Computers & Accessories

then pick any amp from my previous post, if you can stretch the budget, go with an emotiva upa200, you will have it for a long time and it wont be quickly outgrown....

An AVR would work, I just think its a waste and I am in the NO AVR club, but no matter what you do it will work fine I am sure of it...

I am not sure if you have a best buy near you but the pioneer elite vsx43 is on sale today for $279.99 My buddy bought one today...

S

shnjb

Audioholic Intern
Thank you for your advice.
I kind of thought that AVR wouldn't be as good... what is your reason for avoiding AVR?
I'm okay with buying an AVR if it will do the same job for cheaper.

Another question I have is, given the low cost speakers, aren't these an overkill?
My stereo speakers only cost me $140.

I don't have a true budget but I would like to build something approximately in the same level as my speakers, which I read were designed to get the most bang for the buck.

OK, so you are building a music only system and you want an AVR? don't listen to these guys, lol... MUSIC ONLY, NO video circuits allowed...

OK- not sure if there was a real budget yet, but here is what i would do low budget..

SVS SB-1000 - 300 Watt DSP Controlled, 12" Ultra Compact Sealed Subwoofer - nice musical sub, will do the job fine and guess what? handles your bass management...

this dac Amazon.com: Audioengine D1 24-bit Digital-to-Analog Converter: Computers & Accessories

then pick any amp from my previous post, if you can stretch the budget, go with an emotiva upa200, you will have it for a long time and it wont be quickly outgrown....

An AVR would work, I just think its a waste and I am in the NO AVR club, but no matter what you do it will work fine I am sure of it...

I am not sure if you have a best buy near you but the pioneer elite vsx43 is on sale today for $279.99 My buddy bought one today...

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Thank you for your advice.
I kind of thought that AVR wouldn't be as good... what is your reason for avoiding AVR?
I'm okay with buying an AVR if it will do the same job for cheaper.

Another question I have is, given the low cost speakers, aren't these an overkill?
My stereo speakers only cost me $140.

I don't have a true budget but I would like to build something approximately in the same level as my speakers, which I read were designed to get the most bang for the buck.
95% of final sound quality will be determinate by speakers (including sub) this should give you an idea where best to spend money. You could just get the Lepai or a simple Dayton T-Amp and be happy with the sound or get the E300 AVR and have all the flexibility and proper bass management without bunch of additional Fmod filters.

The myth of separates better than properly made AVR is self-delusional and ego-stroking at best. YES, if you have the money - got for it , but for rest 99.99% - AVR in pure-direct mode with be indistinguishable from a separates (if operated within it's limits)

In Regards to sub - It depends on your room size and budget, SVS SB1000 is not bad option for example in a small to medium size rooms

S

shnjb

Audioholic Intern
95% of final sound quality will be determinate by speakers (including sub) this should give you an idea where best to spend money. You could just get the Lepai or a simple Dayton T-Amp and be happy with the sound or get the E300 AVR and have all the flexibility and proper bass management without bunch of additional Fmod filters.

The myth of separates better than properly made AVR is self-delusional and ego-stroking at best. YES, if you have the money - got for it , but for rest 99.99% - AVR in pure-direct mode with be indistinguishable from a separates (if operated within it's limits)

In Regards to sub - It depends on your room size and budget, SVS SB1000 is not bad option for example in a small to medium size rooms
Okay.

So I guess I have to spend 500 for the sub and 400 for the AVR then?

Will the pioneer vsx-1123 do as well as the denon? I already have the vsx-1123 and if the denon is a better home theater AVR, I would rather use that for the home theater setup.

S

shnjb

Audioholic Intern
Another question: are these pioneer speakers better or worse than these for music?

2x Klipsch RB-41 II Bookshelf Speakers
1x Klipsch RC-42 II Center Channel Speaker
2x Klipsch RS-41 II Surround Speakers
1x Klipsch SW-310 Powered Subwoofer

I bought these for 999 as a part of black friday deal and currently i'm using them for home theater but I read somewhere that stereo speakers are better for music so I bought the Pioneers.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis