Recommend some new headphones

SliChillax

SliChillax

Audiophyte
I've had some Beats by Dr.Dre Pro (don't beat me up) my aunt bought them for me as a gift. I never liked them except for the fact that they had massive bass but the bass interfered with the lows so it wasn't all that good. Now the headphones don't work the left ear drum or whatever it's called doesn't work properly, there is no bass at all. I need some new headphones with superior quality and a nice amount of bass to satisfy my ears. No bass no buy.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Let's start with your budget...How much do you want to spend?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
In addition to budget, do you have a preference for wired or wireless?

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
You might want to check out the Audio-Technica ATH-M50; they cost considerably less than your budget at $150. With a 38 ohm impedance, they should work with reasonably well with a variety of devices. Bass heads tend to like them; your mileage, as they say, may vary.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I forgot to add - welcome to the forum!

I have some headphones that I consider nice, but I'm no expert. I tend to trust the opinions of a member here, jamie2112 who works as a sound engineer (sorry if I got that title wrong, Jamie!).

For years, I've seen him recommend the Sony MDR7506 (about $90, including at Amazon). I have a similar pair that I really enjoyed in college.

Recently, he started on a thread on the Ultrasone Pro 900. He really liked them. However, they are quite a bit more and over your stated budget at about $400.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I love my Shure SE425, they sound slightly warm, neutral and they are very good for anything from metal to classical.

That is if you don't mind in ear type, they provide some passive noise blocking as well, not as deal silent as etynomic's but enough for me

SliChillax

SliChillax

Audiophyte
I love my Shure SE425, they sound slightly warm, neutral and they are very good for anything from metal to classical.

That is if you don't mind in ear type, they provide some passive noise blocking as well, not as deal silent as etynomic's but enough for me
I only listen to Hip-Hop, Drum & Bass and that kind of stuff. I'm not really into metal but I do listen to Disturbed once in a while. I'll check some of the headphones you guys said and thanks a lot for the awesome feedback. Again I want a pair of headphones for Hip-Hop listening not metal or rock.

SliChillax

SliChillax

Audiophyte
I would highly recommend these $250 or less and these babys are amazing.The Beats headphones cannot even hold a sock to these phones............just sayin
I know the Beats by Dr.Dre have a nice reputation of being overpriced shitty headphones. I mean come on they cost $450 and they didn't even last me 8 months. I'll check the Ultrasone you sent me, I hope they have enough bass.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Closed:
Shure 940
Audio Technica ATH-M50

Open: Beyerdynamic DT880 (32 ohm)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
my personal choice was Beats pro finally put a deposit down for this here Audio solutions Sydney they have it on special price.
Beats are made by Monster Cable. 'Round these parts we don't have high opinion of this company for many good reasons...

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
i've seen them on other forums like anandtech as well

B

bikdav

Senior Audioholic
Beats are made by Monster Cable. 'Round these parts we don't have high opinion of this company for many good reasons...

Agreed. I auditioned a few models of Monster Cable Beats while looking for headphones. To me, the bass was way too heavy _ sort of car stereo like. I was disappointed.

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
I can fully get behind the Ultrasone recommendation. I'd also throw the Denon AH-D1100 into the contenders arena.

Regardless, if you're looking for strong bass, you should be looking for closed over-the-ear cans. While it makes the music sound more "in your head", there's no question that closed cans are able to deliver more potent bass than open-backed cans. And while I love the accuracy and superior transient response that's possible with great in-ear monitors, IEMs just can't deliver any sort of tactile sensation with bass. So go for some good, closed-back cans. The Ultrasones or the Denons would be my picks in your price range :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis