Recommend Me Some BT Headphones + My Impressions JBL E40BT

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Figured I might as well kill 2 items with 1 thread.

I recently purchased a set of the JBL E40BT cans. My sole purpose to buy these was to have some WIRELESS headphones for a little work around the house, watching Youtube tutorials, etc. I picked up these for $60 from Amazon, about 1/2 of the normal MSRP.

Well, after using these for a few weeks, I really like them, and more importantly, I REALLY like that they are BT, it just makes it so much easier to use and deal with. I have ended up using these MORE than I ever expected to, so now it has gotten me thinking that I would like to have a set of wireless cans that are a bit better audio quality than my JBLs.

I do also already own a set of the AT ATH-M50 WIRED cans. I do enjoy these for the most part, they are comfortable, but they are a bit bass heavy for my tastes. And, I don't use them too often due to the wire.

So, here is where I'm at.

*Cheaper = better
*Comfort and Sound Quality are the top of the list
*Likely want On-Ear since those tend to be smaller and cheaper. Could consider Over-Ear. In-Ear are not under consideration.
*Don't care about active noise cancellation (as long as it isn't an always-on feature)

Here are my thoughts:

*Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 ($400)--more $ than I would really like to pay, but I could do it if I was convinced that these are the cans for me. My biggest hangup is that rSeviews indicate that the active noise cancellation is always on when using as BT cans. That is a deal breaker to me.

*Sennheiser Urbanite XL--($250)--These look nice and look like a good candidate. My concern here is that several reviews indicate "voiced for the club sound" or "not flat freq resp"---seems to indicate emphasis on the bass and that is exactly what I want to avoid

*Sennheiser MM line, probably the MM-400-x-- ($160) Cheapest of the Senns, no noise cancellation, seems to be a decent choice. Anybody heard these and have an opinion about them?

*AKG 845BT--($250)--From the reviews that I've read, these seem to be some of the BEST BT cans available as far as uncolored and flat FR. The only drawback that I seem to see is that they don't have a "track skip" button, and they aren't the most stylish. Anybody have these? Comfortable?

*AKG Y45BT ($115)--Pretty low on my list, all they have going is that they are cheap and look pretty stylish.

*Kicker HP402BTB--($100) They're cheap, that's about all I got on these.

*Parrot Zik 2.0--($300)--Good reviews, but I'm just skeptical of their entire approach and design philosophy.

*RBH HP-1B--($???)--Not released yet, but these look like a dang nice option, also I'm not sure on the price.

So, anybody have any input on this? Any obvious choices that I have missed?

And, can anyone learn me about the versions of BT? Do I really need v4? Is any version good as long as it has the apt-x codec?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Here is my brief review of JBL E40BT:

I paid $60 for them, vs MSRP of $120. At $120, I would not be pleased at all, but for $60 I am fairly pleased.

They are mostly made out of plastic. They have a decent feel, but they certainly aren't too high on the food chain as far as build quality is concerned. With my usage of working around the house, etc, the day will almost certainly come that I will have to repair these for one reason or another.

I get pretty good range out of them, they will lose signal some if I try to work in the garage with door shut and leave the laptop in the house about 20 feet away. But in my small house, I don't lose signal anywhere in the house.

In general, these cans sound pretty good! I know that they aren't the best, but I think that they are pretty good for what I paid for them, and I have certainly enjoyed them more than I expected, and am using them more than I expected! So, that is good!

Bottom line--Don't pay more than $60 for these. Even try to hold out for $50 if you can.

I have not heard the Bluedio budget lines of BT cans, but my guess is that Bluedio will probably get you pretty close to these in sound and build quality at about half the price. At least that is my sense of it after reading many reviews.

My only real complaint on the JBLs is that they use a proprietary USB-to-2.5mm charging cable!

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I would say that these are worth to take a look, don't know how they compare on those listed but they have had good reviews that I have read: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR10RBT-Bluetooth-Wireless-Headphones/dp/B00FJISZ8M
Thanks for the info. I have also read about these in reviews, look to be popular and similar to the options that I listed.

Unfortunately, I have a personal aversion to Sony. I try to avoid that brand if possible.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Well, that didn't take long at all.....

Amazon has the AKG 845BT for $199 right now. Cheapest that these have been, pulled the trigger without delay!

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Congrats! I was going to recommend a $50 set from Sentey (their H10 model), but I don't know how they compare to higher priced versions like that. I think that the H10's do a very good job, but I also can't hear much about 14kHz anymore.

CSnyder

CSnyder

Audiophyte
Initial impression was positive. First unit lost sound in left side after a few uses. Returned for replacement. Second unit lasted less than two months and same problem. Further research revealed it is a common issue and JBL has done little to support customers. Would not recommend.

J

Justin1996

Enthusiast
Go to Amazon, and check comment behind every product

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis