Reciver/Amp/ recomendation for Klipsch RF82

B

brockrak

Audiophyte
Hello all i am a newbie to the board and it seems as thou you guys are on point with this stuff. I'm kinda a newbie to the audio game. I am purchasing a new set of RF82 from Klipsch. I need to know do i need just a receiver, or do i need a amp as well. I want these speakers to be supplied with what they need and sound the best they can i don't want them to no be supplied with enough power. My father has the RF30s? i think which are now discontinued. He has a Adcom 555 amp but for a grand i just cant afford that. Basically do i need a receiver and amp or just a receiver, and any recommendations are appreciated. Thanks again guys. Also i will be powering just these to speakers for music purposes no intention for home theater.

Send Margaritas

Send Margaritas

Audioholic
A receiver would be fine as a start. Later on, you may want that amp "just because" or to take the load off of the receiver.

You may want a receiver with Audessy or YPAO, some feel Klipsh are a bit "bright" and fatiguing to listen to for an extended period.

Klipsch are pretty efficient, as a rule.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome to the forum!

Those RF-82 speakers have a listed sensitivity of 98dB @ 2.83V / 1m. That's pretty darn high, and what it means is that it won't take a whole lot of power to play them loud. They are also listed as being 8 ohm compatible for their impedance, so you won't need a receiver that is 4-ohm rated.

How loud do you typically listen to music, and how close do you plan to be to your speakers? Are these for parties, or just for a smaller group of people?

B

brockrak

Audiophyte
ill just be using them for myself only pretty much. a average size family room. Manly country and classic rock music. but i like it real loud and real clear. not a huge bass lover just clean crisp sound

B

brockrak

Audiophyte
my mistake my father has the KLF 30 speaker which is retired. with the adcom 565 amp. I chose the RF-82 because they seemed to be a newer equivalent and i wanted the same sound as the old KLF 30. we live on 4 acres and the neighbors can here what were playing. When i'm watching the movie top gun the ceiling tiles in the ceiling shake!

B

brockrak

Audiophyte
sorry for the chain of replies. am i just getting over my head with the RF 82s and should i just get the f-30's

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I have a friend with RF82s. While almost any receiver could drive them from a power standpoint, their high sensitivity means you need a low noise receiver, and you also need to make sure the design will have a volume control compatible with such a high sensitivity speaker. Some won't. My friend uses a Denon of some sort (I don't know which model), and he's happy with it, but there's a definite hiss from his RF82s when the system is idling.

k0rww

k0rww

Audioholic Intern
I've used a Harman Kardon 7300 and a Denon 3808 with the RF-82s without any issues. The RF-82 has been replaced by the RF-82 II. Unless you're buying the RF-82s because of their price, I would buy the current model.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
All you need is a receiver for those speakers. But beware of Audyssey on these speakers. DenPureSound had theses speakers and Audyssey set his Channel levels to something like -10.0 dB, so he complained that he had to always turn his volume way up. In fact, he also said it caused his Denon 3311 to go into shutdown. But after he increased his levels back up to 0.0, it worked great. So make sure you have your channel levels close to the 0.0 default as possible.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
DenPureSound had theses speakers and Audyssey set his Channel levels to something like -10.0 dB
No offense, but what do you expect? Average speaker sensitivity is closer to 88dB w/ 2.83v, so -10 isn't exactly out of the realm of feasibility for a speaker with a 98dB w/ 2.83v sensitivity.

FWIW, the trim levels for my speakers are between -10dB (mains, Klipsch RF-5s) and -3dB (surrounds, Klipsch RF-15), and not once have I had a shutdown on my Onkyo TX-SR707. As for needing to turn things up a bit though, that depends on your expectations and the program material.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis