T

tzadik

Enthusiast
I am hooked, after buying a Harman Kardon 3490 I am thinking I want more. Have I been mistaken but are there some receivers that can switch from a surround sound (5.1 etc) to a stereo sound, where you can drive the two speakers a little bit more?

Is there a name for it, or was I dreaming an amazing dream the other night? I feel like since I am able to return my 3490 I should do so if I can get this kind of system for alittle bit more money.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Virtually all multi-channel receivers will deliver a bit more power when only two channels are driven as opposed to when all are called for. You can assure they are getting the most possible power when you switch it to the "two channel stereo" mode. Is that what you wanted to know?

Of course, with a two channel receiver you have no option.

T

tzadik

Enthusiast
Virtually all multi-channel receivers will deliver a bit more power when only two channels are driven as opposed to when all are called for. You can assure they are getting the most possible power when you switch it to the "two channel stereo" mode. Is that what you wanted to know?

Of course, with a two channel receiver you have no option.
Guess I am just looking for the switch it to the "two channel stereo mode" option. Not sure How I can search for this feature, so I don't need to keep asking on here for recommendations.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Re-read the last line of my post. Perhaps I was a bit unclear, but I really thought you already knew the H/K 3490 IS a two channel "stereo only" receiver, and quite a nice one at that.

T

tzadik

Enthusiast
Re-read the last line of my post. Perhaps I was a bit unclear, but I really thought you already knew the H/K 3490 IS a two channel "stereo only" receiver, and quite a nice one at that.
I understand the HK 3490 is stereo, I initially bought it for the reason because i thought it would be used mainly for music. I kind of blindly purchased the HK for that reason thinking that is all I want, but now I want more. And in a year it should be obtainable.

You have said most surround systems will give a stereo option more power then the full 5 or 7 (whatever you are running), which is basically now what I am looking for. After thinking about living etc, it seems more logical to have an all around system for myself rather then a living room (HK 3490) and a HT room. Because I came to realize that is going to be about 10 years away from achieving that dream.

I should do some more research on watts and power driving the speakers, its not like I am trying to drive a frat party but sometimes I like to listen to some loud music, obviously for that I would want stereo power, where as for movies I want more. Hope this makes a little bit more sense of my confusion.

At this point I am trying to decide to return my 3490 and get something else. Or keeping it for years down the road because I really like what I have now, I just want some surround sound when enjoying movies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis