Receivers under $350

P

primus_2001

Enthusiast
Requesting help finding a receiver for $350 or under -

After posting a couple of threads in different sites and reading a lot of posts here, here is what I narrowed down to:

1. Pioneer VSX-919 or VSX-819
2. Yamaha RX-465 or RX-565
3. HK AV-254

My reqs:
1. 3 HDMIs or more
2. 5.1 or 7.1 - either one is fine
3. iPod connectivity - I could alternatively use my X-BOX to interface the iPod
4. Nice sound
5. Easy to set-up - Plug N' Play types
6. True-HD audio - no optical cable business

Any suggestions? Do I need to expand my selection? I would have loved top buy the 1018 after reading the revies, but they are just way too expensive I think.

Also, how much does it matter buying from an "authorized" dealer? I definitely prefer a new condition/not used and maybe buy extended warranty if its any good.

Thanks! Appreciate your suggestions.
Appreciate it.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Onkyo TX-SR606.

Definitively from an authorized dealer.

You can buy refurb from a reputable place like accessories4less, and ask to purchase an extended warranty, but no need, it comes with one year anyway.

Last edited:
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Requesting help finding a receiver for $350 or under -

After posting a couple of threads in different sites and reading a lot of posts here, here is what I narrowed down to:

1. Pioneer VSX-919 or VSX-819
2. Yamaha RX-465 or RX-565
3. HK AV-254

My reqs:
1. 3 HDMIs or more
2. 5.1 or 7.1 - either one is fine
3. iPod connectivity - I could alternatively use my X-BOX to interface the iPod
4. Nice sound
5. Easy to set-up - Plug N' Play types
6. True-HD audio - no optical cable business

Any suggestions? Do I need to expand my selection? I would have loved top buy the 1018 after reading the revies, but they are just way too expensive I think.

Also, how much does it matter buying from an "authorized" dealer? I definitely prefer a new condition/not used and maybe buy extended warranty if its any good.

Thanks! Appreciate your suggestions.
Appreciate it.
Hey, I just found this. It offers most of what you are looking for and is only $299 shipped!!!!! Here is a link:

http://www.jr.com/panasonic/pe/PAN_SABX500/

Hope this is helpful to you. Good luck in your decision. :);):)

Cheers,

Phil

P

primus_2001

Enthusiast
Thx, but I never mentioned Panasonic. Not even considering Panasonic. Bad spam Phill

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Thx, but I never mentioned Panasonic. Not even considering Panasonic. Bad spam Phill
I know, but given the specs and your requirements I thought why not mention it. Not trying to make your decision, but perhaps offer another alternative. No spam here, just trying to be helpful. So then, which way are you leaning? Just curious is all. ;);)

Cheers,

Phil

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
I know, but given the specs and your requirements I thought why not mention it. Not trying to make your decision, but perhaps offer another alternative. No spam here, just trying to be helpful. So then, which way are you leaning? Just curious is all. ;);)

Cheers,

Phil
Yep, that figures!

And that big UK sign too... As if...

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Yep, that figures!

And that big UK sign too... As if...
I am sorry, but am I missing something here? Care to elaborate a bit more for clarification purposes? It would be quite helpful here.

Cheers,

Phil

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
If you must pick from those listed, I would go with the 254 mainly because it has the 7.1 pre-outs.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Why not? They make good electronics and pretty stable receivers. I had a panny receiver before and it was very nice.

The 254 will have handshake issue probably, but I think the receiver is easier to get to sound better than the Onkyos. I also think the OSD is better. You even get on screen volume controls. Not something I remember the Onkyo having.

The controller is a bit more finnicky though. Still once you get the hang of it it's not bad. If your rack is mostly silver that's also a plus in it's favor.

Onkyo just doesn't seem to be as easy to get the sound right from. Plus their settings are not to my fancy. I also think the HK EQ is easier to use and less annoying than AS

P

primus_2001

Enthusiast
Thans for your response guys!

Buying a receiver is by far the craziest experiences! It's addictive as you feel like you shoudl research more, narrow down a few choices and then more to zero-in on the best price over net.

1. AVR-254 sounds great! Looks like it has most of everything I am looking for.
2. The Pioneers 819, 919, and 1019 (a little beyond my budget) are also great.

The research is still on, unless you guys know if any of these have bad mojo. It just helps to narrow it further :-

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord

Buying a receiver is by far the craziest experiences! It's addictive as you feel like you shoudl research more, narrow down a few choices and then more to zero-in on the best price over net.

The research is still on, unless you guys know if any of these have bad mojo. It just helps to narrow it further :-
Hey, there is NOTHING wrong with making a well informed decision. I applaud you for doing your homework as a means to do just that. I also agree that at times, this process can get quite stressful. ;);) Hang in there, you will arrive at the right decision sooner or later that meets YOUR needs. Once again, good luck in doing so. Be sure to keep us all posted. :):):)

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord

Beware of the issues it has though.

F

Fenix

Audioholic
The Yamaha's are pretty nice.

I just got the 665 and it's working good so far. I like the fact that it uses the newer HDMI 1.3b spec. So if you have a newer TV that uses it as well you will be able to sync it with your TV. My receiver automatically turns on when I turn on my TV (I have yet to test turning on my Blu-Ray first). You can also control the volume control through your TV as well. If I switch inputs on my TV from the HDMI to watching TV the receiver automatically changes to the TV input.

One of the things that I don't like about the receiver is that it doesn't have analog audio connectors matched to the Component inputs, so I had to keep my Wii attached to my TV and run its audio through the TV to the receiver.

The 565 should be very similar. Just wanted to give you some other things to think about.

My TV is a Sony 46V4100.

P

primus_2001

Enthusiast
Thanks. Please keep it coming.

My current gadgets:
1. 720p Samsung <plasma> - HDMI
2. XBOX 360 - HDMI + optical
3. U-verse - HDMI + optical
4. Ipod + Zune

I don't intend to buy any Blue-Ray stuff any time soon, but you never know when you come across good deals.

Did you mean AVR-254 has issues? I did see quite a bit on teh firmware updates and was almost wondering if I should knock it off my list. The 354 is expensive.

Yamaha's - I have some friends tell me that they used to be really good, but off late they aren't the best. I got a chance to listen to the 463 and they did sound very nice. Competitive pricing too.

Maybe I'll just get the Pioneer 819. It doesn't upscale video, but my TV doesn't do more than 720p anyways. B&H <high rated dealer> is selling them at lower rate but they are unfortunately not Pioneer authorized dealers <at least not in the list on Pioneer website>. Really sucks!

Will let you know what I do eventually. Anybody tried the Pioneers with Energy speakers? I have been eyeing the Energy/Take Classic deal on Vanns.

Thx!

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Thanks. Please keep it coming.

My current gadgets:
1. 720p Samsung <plasma> - HDMI
2. XBOX 360 - HDMI + optical
3. U-verse - HDMI + optical
4. Ipod + Zune

I don't intend to buy any Blue-Ray stuff any time soon, but you never know when you come across good deals.

Did you mean AVR-254 has issues? I did see quite a bit on teh firmware updates and was almost wondering if I should knock it off my list. The 354 is expensive.

Yamaha's - I have some friends tell me that they used to be really good, but off late they aren't the best. I got a chance to listen to the 463 and they did sound very nice. Competitive pricing too.

Maybe I'll just get the Pioneer 819. It doesn't upscale video, but my TV doesn't do more than 720p anyways. B&H <high rated dealer> is selling them at lower rate but they are unfortunately not Pioneer authorized dealers <at least not in the list on Pioneer website>. Really sucks!

Will let you know what I do eventually. Anybody tried the Pioneers with Energy speakers? I have been eyeing the Energy/Take Classic deal on Vanns.

Thx!
The new Pioneer models skimp big time in their power supply.
The new Yamaha models do the same.
The HK are not very reliable.

The Onkyo TX-SR606 at only $300 or so, is the best receiver of the bunch, definitely and period! And the 607 is also fine, just pick the less expensive one between these two.

Patrick_Wolf

Patrick_Wolf

Audioholic

The Onkyo TX-SR606 at only $300 or so, is the best receiver of the bunch, definitely and period! And the 607 is also fine, just pick the less expensive one between these two.
I haven't seen any complaints about the newer Pioneers or Yammies providing inadequate power. They're still relatively new, but I think most people who buy these aren't using some monster, power-hungry setup and even if they skimp on the amps, so what? They're cutting costs on power most people won't ever use/need. If people require more power, they gotta pay for it.

The 606 on the other hand is very popular and plenty people have complained about heat, popping, buzzing, ect. Course other people have reported no problems so who knows.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord

I have to agree that at that price the 606 would be a "no-brainer" for me. But, hey that is for MY needs not the op's. ;););) After all, we all have different needs/expectations. :cool::cool::cool:

Cheers,

Phil

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis