R

Rembrandt12

Audiophyte
Hello,

I purchased a Onkyo HT-S5700 HTIB unit last year. It has been doing decent well but I feel it is time to start upgrading as the speakers are starting to get a little crackly and I've had a lot of issues with receiver as well. Main complaint on the receiver is that it periodically loses HDMI signal but mostly is the lack of HDR.

I have a Sony X850C and a PS4 Pro. I've noticed in comparisons that by hooking up my TV directly to my PS4 the readings on my PS4 Pro changes and so does picture quality. When hooked up directly to my PS4 Pro non-4k content is immediately better and significantly less "gritty" in picture quality. Displaying 4k content in HDR looks amazing as well significantly better anything so far I've seen on my TV. Also the PS4 video output information reads HDR 2k/4k and color format RGB. When hooked into my Receiver my PS4 output information reads HDR on your TV not supported and color format YUV420. The picture quality reduces on non-4k, 4k, and in HDR mode it just doesn't look good. I am a little disappointed as I picked up this unit because it said it supported 4k and had a 2.2 input but it's time to upgrade.

I basically have it narrowed down to The Yamaha Aventage RX-A660/760 and Onkyo TX-NR757. Any input would be appreciated.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hello,

I purchased a Onkyo HT-S5700 HTIB unit last year. It has been doing decent well but I feel it is time to start upgrading as the speakers are starting to get a little crackly and I've had a lot of issues with receiver as well. Main complaint on the receiver is that it periodically loses HDMI signal but mostly is the lack of HDR.

I have a Sony X850C and a PS4 Pro. I've noticed in comparisons that by hooking up my TV directly to my PS4 the readings on my PS4 Pro changes and so does picture quality. When hooked up directly to my PS4 Pro non-4k content is immediately better and significantly less "gritty" in picture quality. Displaying 4k content in HDR looks amazing as well significantly better anything so far I've seen on my TV. Also the PS4 video output information reads HDR 2k/4k and color format RGB. When hooked into my Receiver my PS4 output information reads HDR on your TV not supported and color format YUV420. The picture quality reduces on non-4k, 4k, and in HDR mode it just doesn't look good. I am a little disappointed as I picked up this unit because it said it supported 4k and had a 2.2 input but it's time to upgrade.

I basically have it narrowed down to The Yamaha Aventage RX-A660/760 and Onkyo TX-NR757. Any input would be appreciated.
Get the Yamaha.

Just a word of warning. Most HTIB speakers are not suitable for proper receivers. You likely looking at starting from scratch. Any speaker that comes with an HTIB is junk anyway.

R

Rembrandt12

Audiophyte
Get the Yamaha.

Just a word of warning. Most HTIB speakers are not suitable for proper receivers. You likely looking at starting from scratch. Any speaker that comes with an HTIB is junk anyway.

Didn't mean to delete my post I wanted to edit it. I appreciate your response though. Your set up looks intense I like it. Any reason in particular you would prefer the Yamaha over the Onkyo? I have read that while the Onkyo produces more power the Yamaha is clearer. Power is not much of factor though as my room is only 12'x15'. What speakers would you suggest?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Didn't mean to delete my post I wanted to edit it. I appreciate your response though. Your set up looks intense I like it. Any reason in particular you would prefer the Yamaha over the Onkyo? I have read that while the Onkyo produces more power the Yamaha is clearer. Power is not much of factor though as my room is only 12'x15'. What speakers would you suggest?
Onkyo/Pioneer are both junk nowadays (same company now) . Yamaha and Denon/Marantz are ones to get and I prefer D&M products personally, but yammi will last very long time and will take the abuse.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Buy Onkyblow of you want. It is your choice.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
I would also look for either Denon, Marantz or Yamaha receiver. What is your budget for speakers? And are you going for 5.1 setup or something else?

Power doesnt mean much in receivers, any of them will have enough power in your room.

R

Rembrandt12

Audiophyte
I would also look for either Denon, Marantz or Yamaha receiver. What is your budget for speakers? And are you going for 5.1 setup or something else?

Power doesnt mean much in receivers, any of them will have enough power in your room.
Well speakers would be down the line. I am still focusing on the receiver right now. I am down to the Yamaha RX-A760 or the Denon X2300W. I generally did not want to go above 800 on a receiver. Any suggestions?

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Well speakers would be down the line. I am still focusing on the receiver right now. I am down to the Yamaha RX-A760 or the Denon X2300W. I generally did not want to go above 800 on a receiver. Any suggestions?
Out of those options I would go for Denon to get Aydussey, other than that they should be pretty close to each other if they have all features you need. If you are fine with factory refurbished units you could get higher model for same price: http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/avreceiver/home-audio/receivers-amps/home-theater-receivers/1.html?brand_f[]=YAMAHA&brand_f[]=MARANTZ&brand_f[]=DENON

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
For Yamaha, from RX-A1030 up are great but below that point I think Denon is better.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis