Receiver vs. preamp/amp combo

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Ehem, when I was refering to power consumption I wasn't looking at manuals. I was looking at the rear photos of the receivers.

The Outlaw receiver says "Power consumption 1000 watts". Higher priced receivers from Onkyo, Denon, and Yamaha fall short on the power consumption and in weight.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Seth=L said:
Ehem, when I was refering to power consumption I wasn't looking at manuals. I was looking at the rear photos of the receivers.

The Outlaw receiver says "Power consumption 1000 watts". Higher priced receivers from Onkyo, Denon, and Yamaha fall short on the power consumption and in weight.
As Gene pointed out more than once, those numbers on the back plane are not necessarily the maximum power consumption. There isn't really a standard for the manufacturers to follow. I go by bench test results, there are plenty of published test data on the web if you care to read up on them. Yes, weight could be used as a rough rule of thumb but not much more that just that, rule of thumb. As an example, you cited Outlaw, they are not that heavy. Arcam, Bryston, Carver/Sunfire and Parasound products are not that heavy neither.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
They are heavy in comparison to Denon, Onkyo, and Yamaha, which was the the receivers being discussed.

Why is it we are looking for Maximum input, aren't maximum inputs usually unrealistic.

The Outlaw has a larger power supply than the other receivers discussed (Yamaha, Denon...ect.) I would think that it would likely have a larger maximum input power anyway.

wire

wire

Senior Audioholic
emorphien said:
The manual specifies for "2 channels driven" it consumes 540 watts maximum.

The back says 320 watts.

So you can use that to continue your argument. I don't care what it actually ends up meaning, I just know it is enough for my small living room for the time being while I focus on my 2 channel setup.

Whatever the case is, I recall the measurements for a similar H/K showing it was putting out a fair bit more power than spec. So... add that to your discussion I'll have no further part in :D

My Bryston4b got benched when i had a new power switch put in it , and it tested at 260/258w per channel . Shouldbe 250x2 w per channel .

Last edited:
Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Here is a picture of the inside of the Outlaw 1070 from someone's system on the Polk audio forum. You can see some decent size capacitors and a large toroid, evidence of a powerful amplifier.

wire

wire

Senior Audioholic
Seth=L said:
Here is a picture of the inside of the Outlaw 1070 from someone's system on the Polk audio forum. You can see some decent size capacitors and a large toroid, evidence of a powerful amplifier.

That thing is a frikkin monster :eek: .
Compare that to the mass production receivers :D .

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Seth=L said:
They are heavy in comparison to Denon, Onkyo, and Yamaha, which was the the receivers being discussed.

Why is it we are looking for Maximum input, aren't maximum inputs usually unrealistic.

The Outlaw has a larger power supply than the other receivers discussed (Yamaha, Denon...ect.) I would think that it would likely have a larger maximum input power anyway.
Let me try to answer your question as follow:

1) The 1000W for the Outlaw 1070 you yourself quoted appeared to be the maximum input. So you should ask yourself the question.:)

Please also follow this link http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/1070.html and see it for yourself, but let me quote:

"Power Consumption
Standby Power Off : 1.9W
Standby Power On : 37W
7 CH Load @ 65W Output Power : 855W
Trigger Output Sequential Delay 50 mA @ 12 VDC
Dimensions
(HxWxD) 5.9”x17.2”x15.5”
Weight 40 lbs."

2) I never said Outlaw products are not heavier than Denon, Yamaha etc., I simply said they were not that heavy neither. The 1070 weighs 40 lbs, that is in the same ball park (yes, heavier, consider it is rated lower) as a Yamaha RX-V2700 or Denon AVR3806. The 1070 is rated 7X65W but that must be ACD so for 1,2, or 3 channel I would think they could put out much more. As others have cited before, and marketing hype aside, a 7.1 amp that is capable of producing 2, or 3X100W but only 7X55W, is dynamically more powerful than an amp that can do, say 65W ACD (7X85) but only 80X2 or 80X3. I am sure Gene can, and has explained this before time and again. By the way Denon/Yamaha 3806/2700 actually does quite well in ACD output.

3) I agree with you that people should not just look at the maximum power consumption, but looking at the so call "input power" or "power consumption" at the back plane as you apparently did, is no better. You asked why, ok let me stick to your example and use Outlaw as reference for the moment. Check the following out yourself at their site.

4) 1070 manual page 24, on the picture of the back plane it says power consumption 1000W but on page 51, its says Power Consumption @ Full Load 855W maximum.

5) 7125 manual page 6 on the picture of the back plane it just says 1440W (with no reference as to whether it is input, consumption, maximum or whatever), but on page 10 it says Power requirement 1200W maximum.

6) 7075 manual page 4, on the back plane it just say 1200W (again with no qualifications) and on page 10 it say Power Requirement 1200W. (Same as back plane in this case)

So having seen the above Outlaw numbers, one may conclude that the number on the back plane are in fact "maximum", so I am afraid you actually quoted the maximum power consumption yourself.

Now let's throw in the HK example I quoted before:

7) HKAVR245 (7.1 receiver):
Power Consumption: 540W maximum (5 channels driven)
AC Input: 390W
Weight: 30 lbs

8) HKAVR240 (7.1 receiver):
Power Consumption: 540W maximum (6 channels driven)
AC Input: 350W
Weight: 34.5 lbs

9) HKAVR340
P.64 - Power Consumption:890W maximum,
P.8 - AC Input: 370W
Weight: 30.6 lbs

So Seth, can you see what I mean, that there isn't much consistency in how they convey their power consumption/input (I consider power consumption and power input are the same thing, just different names) specifications??

Denon and Yamaha, especially Denon, do seem to be a little more consistent (but not clearly defined neither, just consistent across their model line up) in how they present their power consumption specifications but they do tend to be more aggressive with their power output numbers. One more point, when comparing weight, it can be tricky too because the product weight and the ship weight difference could be anywhere between 5 to 8 lbs. HK does specify both, but their product weight may include the remote and the batteries. Most others do not so you can't be sure whether their numbers are for the receiver itself only.

Last edited:
Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I understand they do that. I guess the best way is to bench test, unfortunetly we don't have resources to do so most times.:D

What I like about the Outlaw, it uses the same pre/pro as the bottom line pre/pro they have, and it has large parts I.E. Caps, and power transformer.

Thank you for clearing some things up, it is difficult to follow corporate jargon.:D

wire

wire

Senior Audioholic
Seth=L said:

You must admit Peng , this amp is a piece of work .

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
They used some higher than average gauge wire, that is good. The heatsink is quite strange. It has a seperate power supply for the pre/pro....I think that is what the other transformer is for anyway, so someone correct me if I am mistaken.

That Toroid is freiken huge!!!

I wish I knew the cap values, this is the best picture I could find of the inside and I can't read the values. I can't find the values elsewhere. I suppose I could ask on Outlaw's forum.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
ha, found the cap values in a news letter from Outlaw when the thing came out. The press release said this- "total of 90,000 ųF of filter caps"

I would guess it has two 45,000 uF Capacitors, don't think they would do four 22,500 uF, but they could have. As far as I can see there are only two large caps though.

no. 5

no. 5

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'd like to see a real bench test of that Outlaw, with that kind of power supply it seems like it could do well in a one and two channel driven test (and a ACD :D ).

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
no. 5 said:
I'd like to see a real bench test of that Outlaw, with that kind of power supply it seems like it could do well in a one and two channel driven test (and a ACD :D ).
That would be nice.:D

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
MARANTZ SR7200 105w x 6 0.05% 29 (27 x6)

Yucky.:(

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis