B

bmurphy2121

Audioholic
Hi guys its been awhile since I have posted on here due to an unexpected death of my father. Anyways like the title says Im looking to upgrade my receiver in the near future. I think Im leaning towards Denon but not sure how the quality is anymore, I use to use Denon several yrs ago and then upgraded to a Pioneer Elite VSX-81TXV. Since the Pioneer I have upgraded speakers and also TV that has 3D. Im really just wanting to get the most bang for my buck. Im not sure what to look for now days in receivers Im open to any brands. Im hoping that you guys could help me out once again. If you need more info from me just ask cause Im not sure what you guys will want to know. Thanks in advance.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Budget? If money is tight I'd look at a factory re-certified Onkyo TX-NR709 from A4L. I've bought re-certified Onkyo receivers from them twice and both times have been pleased with my purchase. If you want to spend a tad more they also have re-certified TX-NR809s for a good price. The only thing with Onkyos is they need room for air to circulate.

I'm hoping that Denon quality hasn't dropped too far because I have one on order for my home-office :D. Newegg bought up a bunch a while back and have been blowing them out 1-2 models at a time for cheap. I posted a Newegg coupon code for a brand new AVR-4311 in the deal section but it may have expired by now. I'd just avoid refurbished Denons.

Last edited:
B

bmurphy2121

Audioholic
I would prob guess that I would like to stay under 1k or lower if possible. But that being said I just want to get something that I will be happy with for several yrs to come. I hope that helps out? Does the kind of speakers matter in picking out a receiver?

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Does the kind of speakers matter in picking out a receiver?
Yes but only if you have low impedance (4ohm or lower) or low sensitivity speakers. Realistically any of the above receivers will drive most speakers just fine. The Onkyos are even certified for use with 4ohm speakers.

B

bmurphy2121

Audioholic
I have all Def Tech bp7002 front, clr 2002 center, bpx rear, super cube I. Im not sure the ratings of them.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I have all Def Tech bp7002 front, clr 2002 center, bpx rear, super cube I. Im not sure the ratings of them.
Just looking at the specs (sensitivity rated at 92db) they seem super easy to drive but I'll leave the final say to our Def Tech expert and I'm sure he'll be along soon. ;)

B

bmurphy2121

Audioholic
Those two that you mentioned above are well with in my range. Why are they so cheap? What kind of options do most ppl look for in a new receiver? I really only use my receiver to watch TV, 3D Blu-ray's, and for my HTPC thats it.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
That definitely looks 4 ohm receiver worthy to me. Quite a speaker from what I can tell.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Those speakers are super easy to drive, they are all 8 ohm nominal, and any moder receiver will have no problems driving them at all.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Those two that you mentioned above are well with in my range. Why are they so cheap? What kind of options do most ppl look for in a new receiver? I really only use my receiver to watch TV, 3D Blu-ray's, and for my HTPC thats it.
I own three older Onkyos (606, 707, & 906 - two of them from A4L) and Onkyo's thing is to pack in beefy amplifiers and a ton of features at a bargain price. Where they cut corners is technical support which I've found to be pretty bad, and looks. But performance wise they rock! Their 70x and up lines are really nice receivers with all the features you could ask for. The trade-off for those big beefy amplifiers and power supplies is Onkyos generate a lot of heat and they need room to breath.

The prices at A4L are low because they sell factory refurbished electronics. But they're a factory authorized Onkyo dealer and the receivers include a 1 year factory warranty. You'll spend about $1000 for a brand new TX-NR809 from authorized dealer with a two year warranty. That's probably the one I'd go with even though it's possibly a bit of overkill :D. The Denon equivalent is the AVR-3312ci but I would not buy a refurbished Denon - new only.

Last edited:
sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I see that Newegg (an authorized dealer) has brand new TX-NR809s on sale for $650. You have to add it to your cart to see the price.

B

bmurphy2121

Audioholic
Sounds like this is a very good receiver. I'm not to concerned about the looks of it as long as it preforms great. How hard is the setup on this receiver? I know on the Pioneer it's very difficult to set it up to get great sound preformance out of it. Is this one a lot easier to set up? Would it be better if I got it from Amazon or the site u gave me? I'm also no to concerned about all the bells and whistles with it as long as I have a couplr of features like the 3D pass through and its able to play all different kinds audio formats. Thank you for all the input.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Sounds like this is a very good receiver. I'm not to concerned about the looks of it as long as it preforms great. How hard is the setup on this receiver? I know on the Pioneer it's very difficult to set it up to get great sound preformance out of it. Is this one a lot easier to set up? Would it be better if I got it from Amazon or the site u gave me? I'm also no to concerned about all the bells and whistles with it as long as I have a couplr of features like the 3D pass through and its able to play all different kinds audio formats. Thank you for all the input.
Your speakers are easy to power. I would just find the best deal on a brand new AVR from Amazon or Newegg. Personally, I would get Denon, Pioneer, or Yamaha.

Based on some friends' experience, I would stay away from the lower price Onkyo, but I think their $2K AVR should be OK. :D

Last edited:
B

bmurphy2121

Audioholic
Why do you not like Onkyo and suggest other brands? Ive heard very mixed opinions on Onkyo too but Im just curious. Im not what so ever brand loyal Im just look to get the best value for my dollar. Im really looking for ease of hook up and set up as I said in my post #12. I have the Pioneer Elite VSX-81TXV now an every so often the the sound goes out and the screen turns off then turns on, kinda like its not getting the feed right, so Im becoming a little concerned about it going out on me thats why Im trying to get info on a new receiver. Im not wanting to spend over 1k for a new one if I can help it but I also dont like to buy cheap stuff that will not last. I felt with my Pioneer it was a real mess to really get the best performance out of it and had trouble setting up my speakers. If you like those 3 brands what model # of them would you feel would do me best for what Im looking for?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Why do you not like Onkyo and suggest other brands? Ive heard very mixed opinions on Onkyo too but Im just curious. Im not what so ever brand loyal Im just look to get the best value for my dollar. Im really looking for ease of hook up and set up as I said in my post #12. I have the Pioneer Elite VSX-81TXV now an every so often the the sound goes out and the screen turns off then turns on, kinda like its not getting the feed right, so Im becoming a little concerned about it going out on me thats why Im trying to get info on a new receiver. Im not wanting to spend over 1k for a new one if I can help it but I also dont like to buy cheap stuff that will not last. I felt with my Pioneer it was a real mess to really get the best performance out of it and had trouble setting up my speakers. If you like those 3 brands what model # of them would you feel would do me best for what Im looking for?
InTheIndustry told us one time that he had installed 3 Onkyo AVR for a client, and all 3 were bad. However, I think they were probably the $500 variety. Still, that makes me nervous. And I'm sure a lot of us have heard stories about Onkyo burning up really hot.

I think that is why a lot of People recommend Denon, Pioneer Elite, and Yamaha.

Something like these:

Amazon.com: Yamaha RX-A1000 7.1-Channel Home Theater Receiver (Black): Electronics

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=denon+3311&x=0&y=0

Amazon.com: Pioneer Elite Sc-55 Sc55 9.1-channel 3d Ready A/v Receiver: Electronics

Last edited:
sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
There were some problems reported with the low-end TX-SR509 dieing an early death but I've heard nothing bad with anything above that in recent models. Still it's always a good idea to research the models that you're considering and AVS has a thread dedicated to the 809. I hope the 809 is trouble free because mine will be here tomorrow. :D

Setup is easy because they come with an Audyssey MultiEQ and a setup mic but plan to spend a bit of time. You basically (in a quiet room) set the mic at ear level, camera tripods work great, and run the automated setup at each of your regular listening spots. That's take you at least a good half hour or more depending on how many spots you have it test. Once that's done you'll go into setup to fine tune the crossover point and set the listening mode presets for each attached device. Be sure that you store the mic someplace safe because replacements aren't cheap.

Last edited:
B

bmurphy2121

Audioholic
Oh I see about the Onkyo. I would rather get a receiver from Best Buy Magnolia if possible so that I can get their warranty and the points if possible. Would this be a smart idea to do so? If so is there any other models to also consider besides the ones that you mentioned? What receiver do you hear a lot of great feed back from?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Oh I see about the Onkyo. I would rather get a receiver from Best Buy Magnolia if possible so that I can get their warranty and the points if possible. Would this be a smart idea to do so? If so is there any other models to also consider besides the ones that you mentioned? What receiver do you hear a lot of great feed back from?
Purchasing from Best Buy gives you more peace of mind.

I haven't bought anything from Best Buy in about 2 years. :D

Just browse online and see what kind of models interest you. Then we can give some feedback.

Denon - 875W 7.2-Ch. 3D Pass Through A/V Home Theater Receiver - AVR3312CI - Best Buy

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I avoid Best Buy whenever possible. Their sales people seem to always have a brand that they want to push which makes me think they push the ones with the highest spiff and not what's best for the customer. I've had to practically drag them away from what they were pushing to what I wanted to listen to.

I also hate BB's non-sale prices. My first choice is always Amazon because I have Amazon Prime and because they pay return shipping on defective items. But I also shop at B&H Photo, Vanns, and Newegg. I had a very pleasant experience with Newegg last night when working with them to return a Denon that I ordered earlier in the week. They even waved the restocking fee.

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
I would not hesitate to own an Onkyo....I have had no issues with my refurbished 805 Onkyo and I just purchased a refurbished 708 from accessories4less at $350....can't beat it, you could add a 3 channel separate amp if you wanted more powere and still shake out under a $1000......

You can also buy direct refurbished from onkyo and Club Onkyo that is where I bought my 805 from.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis