Receiver upgrade Questions

T

tony tipton

Audiophyte
I am looking to upgrade my old Kenwood VR-309 receiver with the Denon AVR-4310CI. Speakers are Bose Acoustimass 10 Series II. I really don't want to add 2 more speakers for 7.1 as wiring/placement will be an issue. Will this receiver be way overkill for these speakers? Also, will a 7.1 receiver work with a 5.1 speaer arangement?

T

tony tipton

Audiophyte
Room size is 20' x 50' (listening area is 20' x 35'). Acoustics are terrible, polished concrete floor lots of glass and no curtians.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I am looking to upgrade my old Kenwood VR-309 receiver with the Denon AVR-4310CI. Speakers are Bose Acoustimass 10 Series II. I really don't want to add 2 more speakers for 7.1 as wiring/placement will be an issue. Will this receiver be way overkill for these speakers? Also, will a 7.1 receiver work with a 5.1 speaer arangement?
that's serious overkill for those speakers. All 7.1 receivers can work perfectly fine with 5.1 speakers.

To be totally honest, I'd be lookig to upgrade those speakers and perhaps some modest room treatments to break up the glare.

T

tony tipton

Audiophyte
I really hate to block our view with drapes. I'm also concerned about the new Sharp Aquos 60". Our old 52" is matte finish and works well with the glare. Sharp does not offer matte anymore

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
To be totally honest, I'd be lookig to upgrade those speakers and perhaps some modest room treatments to break up the glare.
+1 The receiver isn't the weak link in your setup.

T

tony tipton

Audiophyte
The old receiver doesn't have HDMI ports, the main reason for the upgrade.

T

tony tipton

Audiophyte
No space limitations, although I would prefer to stay with wall hung, nothing too big. I was preferring to stay with the Bose, but if I could get seriously better performance by replacing (there goes another 1,000), I would definately consider

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
If you’re a movie watcher, you’re missing quite bit of the impactful HT experience with the Bose bass module. A “real” sub could be added to the system as a starting point.

As an example, the SVS SBS-02 5.0 Set w/ a PB10-NSD sub for about $1200 + shipping would put the Bose system to shame.

T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic
A PB10 would be a good start and a big upgrade over a Bose bass module, but it's going to be a huge uphill battle in a room that's 8000 cubic feet, even if your "listening area" is 5600 cubic feet (both totals assuming 8 ft tall celings). You're going to want near field placement with whatever subwoofer you have to get the most out of it with that big of a room.

T

tony tipton

Audiophyte
Thanks. I can see where that would help. My room is actually around 10,000 cubic feet. maybe I should see if JBL also has some moderately sized wall mount speakers to match?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
You have huge space. None of sat type speaker will work (fill it with sound) in it. Bookshelfs will be strangling as well. Your are fighting with laws of physics and are loosing.
I guess you could go 7.1 with DiPole/Bipole surrounds but I'd strongly suggest towers for fronts and at-least two subwoofers.

IMO Your plan of attack (Upgrade) should be:
Decent Refub AVR from AC4L.com for about $400-500
Pair of Energy RC-30 for $199 Each - $400 this is a steal
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/542220550/energy-rc30?ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=542220550&v_c=GoogleBase
Energy RC-LCR - thats still a bit pricey $422 :
http://www.amazon.com/Energy-RC-LCR-BLK-Center-Channel-Speaker/dp/B001C3GQNE

Add subs, keep Bose for now for surrounds

Last edited:
GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
if money is tight then five behringer 2030ps and a quality sub like an epik legemd should give a huge upgrade. it should smooth out response as well as blend together ao that sub bass isnt localizable and speaker bass is full and meaningful. make sure to use 14 or 16 awg copper wire and finally add a refurb reciever like a marantz sr 5003 from accessories4less for hdmi 1.3.

the issue with the bose stuff is that it is designed to impress with specific bose demo material in a specific bose demo booth. when you bring it home many issues end up really degrading your experience, althoigh luckily as a brand name the resale value means it won,t hurt too much.

check out www.intellexual.net/bose.html to get a feel for qhy we think you cpuld make a notble upgrade.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
if money is tight then five behringer 2030ps and a quality sub like an epik legemd should give a huge upgrade. it should smooth out response as well as blend together ao that sub bass isnt localizable and speaker bass is full and meaningful. make sure to use 14 or 16 awg copper wire and finally add a refurb reciever like a marantz sr 5003 from accessories4less for hdmi 1.3.

the issue with the bose stuff is that it is designed to impress with specific bose demo material in a specific bose demo booth. when you bring it home many issues end up really degrading your experience, althoigh luckily as a brand name the resale value means it won,t hurt too much.

check out www.intellexual.net/bose.html to get a feel for qhy we think you cpuld make a notble upgrade.
GranteedEV is 100% right.
Just FYI couple of points:
Behringer 2030p sold in pairs and you'll need 3 of them. Last one could be used for rear center :D
This speaker is designed to be used in studio and while it's excellent performer especially for it's price, it's severally lacks in design as it's lacks covers.
Third and last: If you'll be using 2030p for center - it must be positioned vertically just like rest of speakers - potential problem for most home arrangements...

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
This speaker is designed to be used in studio and while it's excellent performer especially for it's price, it's severally lacks in design as it's lacks covers.
Yes the 2030P is not the most attractive speaker. The 2031P is even worse... with that 8" driver you'll get total wife dissaproval. The Ascend 170 is a better looking option near that price range BTW.

I also agree with dual subs.

. maybe I should see if JBL also has some moderately sized wall mount speakers to match?
JBL is a rather hit-or-miss brand IMO. Some of their higher end stuff, especially the stuff under the JBL Pro moniker, is just wicked and makes me drool, while some of their other speakers... you have to wonder what they were thinking.

If you're looking for something that'll really fill a large room with sound pressure, definitely consider the JTR Quintuple and Triple 8s. These are Hi Fi speakers using Pro-Audio drivers, so while they're voiced for accuracy and with high sound quality, they are made to be effortless to drive (98db sensitivity) with limitless dynamics. That would mean spending about $2000 on a pair of mains however. lol. But considering what you're coming from, I think even the Behringers might be plenty for you. :)

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
Man, this thread is all over the place. To the original poster. Our general site belief is money should be spent on speakers first and foremost. You do need an hdmi receiver, they are all pretty good, and Denon is not a bad way to go. Get that receiver and just know that you need new speakers. In a room that big, you need some umph. A 12" sub and a pair of weighty towers. What is your budget, and if you can't afford it all at once buy it in stages.

T

tony tipton

Audiophyte
I'm now thinking of around $1,000 for 5 speakers and another 200 for a sub. How about Pro Cinema 800's?

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
I'm now thinking of around $1,000 for 5 speakers and another 200 for a sub. How about Pro Cinema 800's?
Def Tech has some nice speakers although you should really look around and make this decision with some patience :)

You definitely need a bigger sub budget though. at least 4-700 if you want a good one and 1-2k if you want a great one.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis