Receiver & speaker questions

W

WillC

Audiophyte
Hi everyone!

I'm a complete noob in a/v, so please bear with me. I have some questions about receivers and speakers, and was hoping people could provide some input or point me in the direction of some good resources. I'm in the process of starting to piece together an entry-level system that I can slowly add to over the years as I get both more experience and more money. :)

1) Receiver:

I'm trying to decide between the Pioneer VSX-823-K and the Denon AVR-E300. I actually have enough airmiles points to get the Pioneer with airmiles (so free!), and it has more HDMI inputs than the Denon which was something that was important for me. I'm just wondering if there is anything that anyone with more experience (who isn't a salesperson) knows that I don't and should be aware of.

Also, do I need/should I be looking at getting an amp as well as the receiver?

2) Speakers:

I currently have a Yamaha 2.0 stereo system that has speakers that I think would work for this system. The speakers are the Yamaha NS-BP100's, @ 6ohm with 30w nominal and 90w max power specs (from back of speakers). I'm still researching speakers for the home theatre system, but would these Yamaha speakers work in the interim? The Pioneer pumps 100w/channel and the Denon 80/channel.

Also, I've been reading lots about Polk speakers, and am liking what I'm learning about their stuff (like the look of the TSi and RTiA series). I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about other brands (Boston Acoustics?) that I should check out. I listen to a WIDE variety of music and watch a fairly wide array of movies/shows, so I assume versatility is important (if that's even an issue with speakers). Hoping to drop maybe $600 on either 2 bookshelf or 2 bookshelf + sub to start the system.

Sorry for the long post. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated! You can always pm me off-board if you'd prefer to contact me that way. Thanks in advance!

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Re: Receiver & speaker questions

The two receivers are very comparable in features. The power difference looks big on paper, but real world usage will make it insignificant. The Denon has Audyssey Dynamic Eq, which keeps the bass full sounding even at lower listening levels. If you don't mind refurb, the E300 can be had for $240 shipped, and that frees up cash for the speakers. http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVRE300/DENON-AVR-E300-5.1-3D-Networking-Receiver-AirPlay/1.html

Speakers are where you want to spend a majority of your budget. If you can swing floor standing speakers, the EmpTek E55Ti for $580/pair are going to be hard to best on sound quality. http://emptek.com/HolidaySale.php

For subwoofer, I recommend the SVS PB-1000. http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/ported-box/pb-1000#.UozodYXnYm8

Since this brings the total slightly over the budget, I suggest you get the towers with a receiver and save until you can pick up the sub.

W

WillC

Audiophyte
Thanks for the suggestions and advice! I've never heard of EmpTek but will definitely check them out. I currently have a fairly small apartment, so I'm not sure floorstanding will work (but it would be my first choice if I can work it).

Would my current Yamaha's work for a bit while I continued to research, do you think?

N

n0rth

Audioholic Intern
I have the VSX 823k - I like it but believe its rated only 80 watts per channel @ 8ohms. Perfect for my 10X10 office with vaulted ceilings but too small for my living room which is 17x17x9

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Re: Receiver & speaker questions

I have the VSX 823k - I like it but believe its rated only 80 watts per channel @ 8ohms. Perfect for my 10X10 office with vaulted ceilings but too small for my living room which is 17x17x9
Power rating alone is not sufficient to make that determination.

For example, if one had the JTR Triple 12, they'd need only 15W to get 105 dB SPL when sitting 10ft away.

N

n0rth

Audioholic Intern
Power rating alone is not sufficient to make that determination.

For example, if one had the JTR Triple 12, they'd need only 15W to get 105 dB SPL when sitting 10ft away.
wasn't powerful enough in my living room running bowers and wilkins cm5's - replaced with a pioneer elite 65c and move the vsx into my office where it runs a pair of HTD lvl2 bookshelf speakers quite nicely.

W

WillC

Audiophyte
@n0rth, you are correct re the power. I must have confused it with another (I've been looking at many recently :D )

If the Pioneer wasn't powerful enough for your living room, which is bigger than my living room here (not sure about exact specs, but probably around 10x18x8), would it be too small for that size? I was thinking not, and doubt I'll be moving anywhere bigger anytime soon lol. Just not sure about room size and power ratings.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis