Receiver settings... Large or Small speakers?

<font color='#000000'>I have to admit, I switched over my Yamaha system this past weekend to small all around, and it really did seem to make a difference. I had liked the smoothing-out effect that running my sub output through my mains and my sub produced, but accuracy was improved considerably when I reliquished all low frequency to my sub...

Good article, Gene!</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Hi, I'm the guy with the def techs and the Yamaha that you responded to. Thank you very much for your time and answering my question. &nbsp;New question- How do I disable the crossover on the def techs. Theres only a level gain on the rear of speaker.</font>

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
<font color='#000000'>Joe;

If you dont have a defeat on the def tech crossovers, set the frequency to the highest position. &nbsp;This will usually be about 120-150Hz. &nbsp;That should keep you well out of the crossover frequency of your receiver.</font>

T

The Nerdly Guy

Banned
I found a helpful article about bass management, and setting a receiver for large or small at (url removed). Here's a link to it: url removed

[Edit: Those who love to post nothing but links to their sites get banned... Smell you later - Admin]

A

AN2849

Audiophyte
Large speaker setting -> Small?

I'm now wondering: with my RTI-10's in the front, RT800's for the rears, and CSI5 as the center, should I set my HK AVR300 to small speakers all around? If so, then I assume I'd have to do the same thing with my DENON DVD-2910. Am I correct? Right now I got the source direct enabled, got a lot more bass from my sub that way when playing SACDs and DVD-Audio. But I can't keep this setting if I change any of the speaker sizes to small. I'd appreciate your inputs on this.

H

Half Fast

Enthusiast
I tried this last weekend by resetting my receiver speaker settings to small all around, subwoofer plus and 80Hz crossover. I am running a Pioneer 1014 driving Def Tech BP2000TL fronts, CLR 2500 center, and BPVX surrounds. Previously I had the fronts and center set to large as all have powered subs built in. I removed the jumpers on the fronts from the low input and feed the subs through a Y splitter from the sub out of the receiver now.

What a nice improvement! Everything I have listened to since the change sounds more lifelike! It was like a thin veil was removed from around the speakers. I really did not expect any difference but fortunately it is much better. I don't know the proper jargon to use but the instruments now sound like they are in the room rather than playing through a speaker. I have not yet re-run the MCACC with these settings but I will try it soon to see if that offers any additional improvement.

Next thing I might dig out some more speaker wire and try a passive bi-amp experiment. Not really expecting an improvement with bi-amping but I have two unused channels on the receiver and some wire out in the garage. If I don't see any more improvement nothing lost but a little time. Thanks for the recommendations.

AN2849 said:
I'm now wondering: with my RTI-10's in the front, RT800's for the rears, and CSI5 as the center, should I set my HK AVR300 to small speakers all around? If so, then I assume I'd have to do the same thing with my DENON DVD-2910. Am I correct?
You should match your DVD settings as closely as possible, unless you purposely want them to be different. Remember that the DVD settings only affect analogue output.

A

AN2849

Audiophyte
Thanks Clint. I find SACDs and DVD-Audio sound better with the DVD player speaker settings are set to 'large'. As for digital outputs I set the receiver to 'Small', I like this setup for movies. Does that make any sense? :confused:

M

mitch57

Audioholic
Okay! I'm confused. I have Def Techs also. I have the BP 7002s for fronts and CLR 2500 for the center. All three have built in subs. I set the fronts and center to large on my Denon 3805 and set my crossover to 60 Hz. and I have my sub out split with a "Y" adapter going to my left and right front speaker. I also have the denon set to LFE + Main. I only have a level gain on the back of the left, right and center speakers which is set at 12:00 o'clock. My surrounds are BP2Xs and they don't have any built in Subs.

Are you saying it will sound better to set all speakers to small and the receiver crossover to 80? Also, I listen to DVD-A and SACDs almost exclusively. Does that come into play as well?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis