Receiver Recommendations

• Thread starter CarolinaPanther
  • Start date
C

CarolinaPanther

Audiophyte
Hey,
My receiver of 6 years finally died so I am looking for something new and just wanted to make sure I don't get something that will not give great sound. I will be using it for my home theater setup and will probably just get new speakers so if there is a good packaged deal someone can recommend that would help a lot. I would like to be able to connect my Sat., PS3, and iPad when I want to use that.

Any advice/recommendations would be appreciated. :)

Thanks!

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
What is your budget? and what was your last setup?

C

CarolinaPanther

Audiophyte
I was thinking maybe 5 or 6 hundred, nothing super fancy. I have recently moved to a new place and have only been running my sound through a center speaker. The room is set it so the tv is against the wall but there is walking room behind the couch so I'm hoping for freestanding speakers. Otherwise I would have to do things in the ceiling and not sure if I want to go that route or not.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Lots of different options, any idea on what kind of connectivity you need? (Hdmi, network, connecting a cable/sat box, dvd/blu-ray, CD player) Is internet radio or streaming content important to you? How about video/audio processing?

Yamaha is a good brand, but their audio calibration isn't as good as audyessey.

Onkyo packs in a lot of features, but unless you want to invest in some fans to sit on top, or maybe raise your budget a touch I wouldn't necessarily push you in that direction.

Pioneer's are good, but known to be less user friendly than other brands and their audio calibration software is also not as good as audyssey.

Denon makes pretty good stuff, fairly user friendly as well.

Marantz makes rock solid stuff, I really like their gear, but you lose some brand name features (not that you don't necessarily get the same features but they won't have the big name stickers)

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
C

CarolinaPanther

Audiophyte
For my new one I am hoping for at least 3 HDMI inputs so when I want to connect my iPad I don't have to switch one out. My last receiver was a Yamaha HTR-6130 and I never even took the subwoofer out of the box because I went from an apartment to a townhouse and didn't want to annoy the neighbors. Would I be able to use that subwoofer with a different brand? I never cared for my Yamaha several times I had problems with errors and sound cutting out that would magically fix themselves.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
You can use the Yamaha(?) sub in the meantime and then upgrade later. Most 5.1 have 4 HDMI input. I would recomm. the Onkyo 608 for your needs just keep it in a ventilated area. What Is your center Yamaha model number(?). Whatever It Is you can use it In the meantime and upgrade it later to the same brand as your front speakers. They just sync better with the same brand speakers. The sub does not have to be the same brand though. Since your are on a budget I'd say go with the 3.1 setup for now. Get the Receiver and speakers first then add the rear speakers, center and sub later.

Actually one of the member here recomm. these as rears and are dirt cheap:
x2: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0044UHVOK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&m=A29PHU0KPCGV8S

or maybe these: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002HLY8S/ref=pe_54710_23891930_pe_vfe_dt4

Last edited:
fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
MARANTZ SR5005 100w X 7ch 3-D Home Theater Surround Receiver | Accessories4less

The onkyo is OK, but I just hate to recommend anything that has even a slight chance of going bad. Granted, I'm unaware of any major problems in the 608 version. The thing with onkyo is that you really should have fans on top of them, even if they are well ventilated sometimes you can get other issues with them. These issues won't necessarily affect performance but can be annoying. I know if I let mine get too warm it starts to make a clicking noise, which is just the unit adjusting itself to the heat. Anyways, it annoys me so I went all out and not it has 3 fans sitting on top with a fan controller, all for a lot less than so called "component fans"

In any case, the Marantz above would serve you well and it has a full set of pre-outs, unlike the newer 5006 version. Either would probably be a good fit for you, but for that price range I'd rather go with a Marantz.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
So far I'm enjoying my onkyo as well, so fingers crossed. Also I had a.......pleasurable? experience with onkyo customer service :eek: so I'm not sure what to make of that :p

The only issue I would have with that notebook fan is that A) it probably wouldn't move enough air for my liking (they look like 80mm fans) and B) they aren't cooling where, at least my onkyo gets the hottest. Right now I have two 200mm fans over the rear section right on top of the HDMI board and another 120 mm fan closer to the front left with the fan controller sitting on the front right. Before all of those shenanigans the receiver was getting up over 120 during heavy use when I was really pushing it and about 94ish during normal use. Now it is barely ever over room temperature and the fans are inaudible from the listening position (for the most part).

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah Customer service Is great. I only called them once for setting up some features. They know their stuff. What model number do you have? I have the 707. I hear the newer models have less heat issues. I mean most receivers run hot anyway. I have an old Kenwood that heated up and I never had problems with it and I've had it for the 20 yrs! I'm glad I got the fan though pre-caution first.:) I have the fan on for at least 10 more min. after I turn off the receiver. I take care of my kids.:D I wonder why they don't Install fans inside them anyways or a least an option to have it.

CDogg

CDogg

Junior Audioholic
On weekends, we listen to music all day without any heat issues. Maybe there were heat issues with the older models, but our 509 has not had any issue regards to heat. With that said, I would definitely recommend anyone to consider Onkyo.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I have a 3009, and before I got the fans there were no heat related issues it just ran hot, but better safe than sorry I always say. I figure if my computer needs to be cooled, and they have similar components then it needs to be cooled, at least a little.

I'm guessing they don't put fans in there just because of space and configuring everything. Fans = a huge space requirement. It would increase the height by no less than half an inch in most cases, and they would increase overall cost as well. Heatsinking probably does an adequate job, as shown by many other brands. I also think part of the problem is/was that onkyo used cheaper parts than they should have in order to pack in all the features.

That being said, the majority of manufacturers outsource production of their lower and mid line receivers to another company who then badges it with the appropriate name. Only the "flagship" models are actually made by the company anymore in most cases.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis