Receiver Recommendations

K

kaducii

Enthusiast
Hi everyone, I've been trying to follow along some threads about receivers but I'm completely lost so I'd like to get some opinions from you knowledgeable folks. My budget is about $500 for a receiver with a set of 2.0 monitors.

The reason this is all so confusing is because my klipsch 5.1s have served me faithfully for 5 years until it just decided to die. After reason some opinions, it seems that receivers are the way to go for even entry level sound.

I mainly use the speakers for games and blurays via PS3 and movies and music via computer. I listen to a bit of everything, but quality-wise I definitely want to focus on better classical music performance. I've also been looking at powered monitors like the Audioengine A2 and A5 and the M-Audio BK5a and Swan M200s, or are receivers + passive still the way to go for my needs?

For my needs and my budget, I think I need (correct me if I'm wrong b/c I really am new at this) a 5.1 to 7.1 receiver that has HDMI and about 50W+ per channel. I was thinking about hooking up my klipsch speakers to the receiver for surround sound but get new left and right speakers, then I can upgrade one piece at a time.

From what I've gathered, the Yamaha RX-V663, the Onkyo TX-SR606 and the Harman Kardon AVR-147 are all good deals, but can I get away with less? (Like what features drive up the price but not the sound performance). The main focus is sound quality. I don't mind getting a used, refurb or older model if it saves me money. Can I get by comfortably with something less than those? Also feel free to throw out names =).

For bookshelf speakers I was thinking PSB Alpha B1 or Infinity Primus P162s, so I'd need something that can adequately power those.

Thanks for the long read!

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
The 663 and 606 are commonly recommended here and generally considered good value. You could get away with less, but do you want to? If you decide you want to upgrade the speakers with powered studio monitors, you will need a receiver with preouts and an LFE channel to run a sub, so make sure that you choose a receiver with preouts to at least give you that option. If you decide to go with traditional passive speakers, at least you will have a solid receiver that will drive most consumer brand speakers and still have preouts to hook up an external amp if necessary.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Yamaha 663, Onkyo 606, Pioneer 1018, and HK 254. Buy the one with the features you want.

C

CAVU

Audioholic Intern
The 663 is $349 delivered with a coupon from authorized dealer 6ave.com !! Google for the coupon or PM me.

K

kaducii

Enthusiast
Thanks for all the reply and help! So I'm debating between the Onkyo 606 and the Yamaha 663. Both don't have anything pre-outs other than for the sub right? Also the preout is only for active speakers or if I want to insert an amp to the passive ones?
So 90W per channel should be sufficient to power most basic speakers? What I'm concerned with is that if I use my old multimedia Klipsch speakers which are 8 ohms at 45W I think, will they get popped from getting 90W of power instead or does it feed only as much power as the speakers can draw?

If there's nothing else I think I will get the Yamaha 663 (Thanks for the great deal CAVU!) because reviews and feedback seem to say that Yamaha has the better quality, doesn't overheat like the 606 and has more features.

K

kaducii

Enthusiast
Also I saw in the deals section that the Onkyo 705 is on sale for $399, worth considering? or is the 663 comparable enough. Also is the only big difference between Onkyo X05 and X06 extra HDMI and a fix of this heat problem everyone talks about? Thanks for your input again!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Both don't have anything pre-outs other than for the sub right? Also the preout is only for active speakers or if I want to insert an amp to the passive ones?
Wrong, the 663 has preouts and the 606 has not. Preouts allow you to use the receiver's preamp and processor to control and power one or more external power amplifiers.

K

kaducii

Enthusiast
Thanks everyone for all your help. From the looks of it I feel very confident getting the Yamaha 663, I don't think I'll be disappointed. If anyone is curious, it came down to the preouts which sounded really appealing and from reviews and commentaries, Yamaha seems to make really good products and the Onkyo had a possible heat problem.

T

Treozen

Enthusiast
Count me as a 663 vote - I just got mine and I researched for - honestly...days on end...before taking the plunge. So far its every bit as good as I've read. Only thing I can't figure out is coding the remote to operate other devices.....but thats probably user error on my part ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis