Receiver recommendation

F

fbcaldeira

Audiophyte
I am looking for new HT system. First step will be the receiver; I'll use it for a while with my old speakers (AR HC5 and 2 x infinity SAT1100). My primary use is to watch movies. Witch one of the 3 receivers below is the best choice?

Harman/Kardon AVR 435
Yamaha RX-V1500
Pioneer VSX-52TX

Thanks

Doug917

Doug917

Full Audioholic
I'd go for the Yammi if your going to watch a lot of movies. Its DSP modes are unbeatable.

WooHoo

WooHoo

Audioholic
Yup. Gotta agree. Go with the Yammi! Easy set up and best for movies. I don't know what you have now for a receiver, but if you are looking for advice I'd suggest you start with the speakers. They are ultimately going to be more critical to your system. IMO. ;)

D

DISCMAN

Audioholic Intern
For what it's worth, My Ultimate Electronics salesman says:
Yamaha is best for music
Sony is best for movies
Denon is the better choice if you want both equally good music & movies
Granted I don't know what his basis was & he probably was ignoring >$1k.

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
DISCMAN said:
Sony is best for movies
ummmm no.

I tried two mid-line Sony receivers and both had major issues with the center channel on DTS tracks. :(

Yamaha or Denon would be a more solid pick.

Doug917

Doug917

Full Audioholic
DISCMAN,

I've owned Sony receivers and pre/pros before and they come nowhere close to the Yammi's performance on movies at any price level. The sales guy must get a better spiff on Sony. Sony's receivers have also never been able to drive my stereo speakers (Cerwin Vega AT-15) without shutting down their internal amps. I wouldn't even consider buying sony again. Denon makes a good product and is probably better for stereo ( I used to own their AVR-5800), but Yamaha still puts them to shame on movies.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Yamaha and Denon are the gold standard for mid-priced receivers by which all others seem to be measured. You can go Marantz, Harmon-Kardon, Rotel (pricier), Onkyo, etc., but really, they all end up being compared and, at best, coming up as equals to Yamaha and Denon.

So, just pick a Yamaha or Denon to begin with and know that you will get the most technolgically advanced system in your price range.

W

WilliO

Enthusiast
Yamaha may have slightly better sound, but user-friendly? It sucks!

Speaking from a Sony STR-DE995's and Yamaha RX-V2500's owner.

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
WilliO said:
Yamaha may have slightly better sound, but user-friendly? It sucks!

Speaking from a Sony STR-DE995's and Yamaha RX-V2500's owner.
I had the first for about five months. It became a Christmas present for a girl in my carpool. I now have the second (which was a Christmas present I gave to me ;) ).

I would much rather deal with a little more set-up effort once than bad sound forever....

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis