Receiver Recommendation

T

Taylormade

Audiophyte
I currently am using a Naim Nait 2 and Spendor S5es for the front 2 channels. I'll be using the Spendor C5e for the center and in-ceilings for the rear.

I plan on keeping Naim for my 2 channel listening and to power the 2 front channels in the setup. The receiver will power the center and 2 rears.

I am having difficulty deciding on which receiver to pick. The Sherwood Newcastle R-963 and the Yamaha RX-V657 are two possibilities. The problem with the Newcastle is the model seems to be 4 years old and I assume it will be replaced sometime in the near future. From searching this forum, it sounds as if the Outlaw receiver may be the way to go as well. Their new 1070 looks like a great product but there aren't any reviews yet on it. I'd consider the Arcam AVR300 but that doesn't seem necessary to spend that amount considering 2 channel is most important to me and will be powered by Naim.

I'd greatly appreciate some advice for this setup.

Last edited:
Thunder18

Thunder18

Senior Audioholic
Sherwood is continually creating updates to their Newcastle line of receivers rather than letting them become obsolete. The R-963 is a very nice receiver and it's got some very good reviews.

B

buckyg4

Junior Audioholic
Are you sure that the Nait 2 would sound better than the AVR300 or the Newcastle? The Nait 2 is a little old for a solid state amp. If you're happy with the 2 channel audio from the Naim receiver I would go with the cheaper receiver out of the bunch because in a HT application there probably wont be that much difference among the receivers you listed.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis