Receiver recommendation for Klipsch RF-82 II

D

dirtyswap

Audiophyte
Hi all,
Newbie here (well I have owned several HTIABs) over the last 20 years. This is my first time buying high-end equipment. I've been reading posts for several days looking for answers but decided to post and see if some seasoned readers could offer some suggestions.

I just purchased 2 RF-82's yesterday from an online store that had a 35% sale (not sure if I am allowed to mention retailers on this forum), and I bought the RC-62 center channel as well.

Now I need a receiver, and am willing to spend between $500-1000 on a good 7.2 receiver. My media room is about 20x20, and will soon pick up a good sub (looking at HSU, SVS, PA, and BIC currently) and surrounds (Klipsch most likely)

I have seen a few Marantz's that are interesting, as well as a few Denons. My only real need is for 3 optical ports (PS3, Xbox, Cable) and 7.2, since eventually I will want 2 subs and 7 channels. I would like a Zone 2 offering but it is not a requirement

I am trying to stay from Onkyo, Pioneer, etc since I've had them in the past and not sure how decent they are if our favorite brick and mortar store sells them. I like Marantz's design but not sure exactly which one to get. They have one for $1500 (SR7005) but probably don't need the features that one offers. I don't need HDMI passthrough since I prefer to hook up the devices directly to the HDTV and utilize the optical ports on the receiver for when I want surround.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I should also mention that I will primarily be using this for home theatre, not as much for music. Maybe 80% tv, 20% music.

Thanks!

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Don't let .2 force you to choose one AVR over other... simple and cheap Y splitter will fix .1 to .2 :D
Audioholics not huge fans of None-Elite Pioneer models, but Elite one are actually very good and offer good bang for buck...

What's wrong with Onkyo? Yea, some older model x05 and x07 series has issues with high heat output, but other than that - Onkyo has been offering really market disrupting models in terms of both quality and features.

But, biggest bang for a buck goes to Denon 3310CI - Sold refub on amazon for $450 w/ Shipping.

not sure if I am allowed to mention retailers on this forum
Not only it's allowed - good deals sharing is encouraged :)

Last edited:
GoFastr

GoFastr

Full Audioholic
From what I could see on the Marantz SR7005 (and Denon 3311/4311) it only has 2 optical inputs and 1 out. I do see 3 optical inputs on the Marantz SR8002 though.

You might think you wouldn't need all of the features on these units but they will sure make those nice Klipsch sound even greater. Hell, later on you may even hook up all your HDMI equipment directky to it and utilize the nice switching too.

D

dirtyswap

Audiophyte
Thank you to both of you for replying, much appreciated.

Onkyo has been offering really market disrupting models in terms of both quality and features.
What do you think of the TX-NR609? It's the #1 AVR on bestcovery.com (not sure how unbiased they are)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Thank you to both of you for replying, much appreciated.

What do you think of the TX-NR609? It's the #1 AVR on bestcovery.com (not sure how unbiased they are)
http://www.audioholics.com/buying-guides/how-to-shop/2011-600-a-v-receiver-comparison-guide

All reviewed receivers about in $600 have unique features, you need to pick the ones YOU need.
Some people (very few) would kill to have $600 AVR to support 4k resolution instead of very expensive video processors, however I appreciate more FLAC HD support on Denon.

D

dirtyswap

Audiophyte
Thanks. I appreciate it. The TX-NR809 is $699 on Amazon. I think I am going to jump on that one.

All reviewed receivers about in $600 have unique features, you need to pick the ones YOU need.
Some people (very few) would kill to have $600 AVR to support 4k resolution instead of very expensive video processors, however I appreciate more FLAC HD support on Denon.

LAB3

LAB3

Senior Audioholic
Thanks. I appreciate it. The TX-NR809 is $699 on Amazon. I think I am going to jump on that one.
Vanns has them too for the same price and 2 year warranty. I too had bad luck with a Onkyo TX-SR805 and wish I had purchased the Retail stores extended warranty. Onkyo has moved the mfg. plant so try to find this AVR where you can purchase a longer warranty. Onkyo AVR sound great I just worry about their poor customer service I went thru while my 805 (about the same spec as 809) was in warranty as I had to pay to ship it to them.The kept it over 8 weeks and did not extend my warranty as 2 months after the factory warranty ran out it fried the HDMI board. I know any brand can have a problem just giving you my advise from my dealings with Onkyo Customer Service.

The reason I would purchase from a Retail Store local so if it fails they send it out not you. If it cant be repaired you get full purchase price in store credit to pick out another different AVR or what ever. Good luck hope you don't need it. Amazon had some good deals on a Denon with the same spec but again........look for a extended warranty. I hate paying retail but sometimes you can find a last year model that Best Buy etc is discounting to make room for new model. They deal with the Factory Customer Service not you. What ever AVR you purchase install a fan and don't stack on it and have plenty of open venting space if you are going to use it hard every day like I do (retired)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis