Receiver Pre Out To Tube Amp Question

Allen Powers

Allen Powers

Audiophyte
Can I run pre out from a 9.2 receiver to a tube amp and hear only the qualities from the tube amp in 2 floor standing speakers? I'd like to do 4 in-ceiling speakers (11.2.4) but also have some different audio qualities for just music. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm sort of new to this and I apologize if there's a thread for this, there's so many threads but I couldn't find a similar question. Thank you!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yes you can do that, but the reality is the majority of the sound signature comes from the speaker itself not the amp. A tube amp will color the sound and deliver a slightly softer presentation, however I'd prefer to recommend just finding a speaker you like the sound of first and worry less about the amplification so long as you have enough power for your listening needs.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
I wouldn't try to watch movies with a tube amp. For music, a tube amps coloration and quality of sound will depend on the speakers in question and the music being played.

Personally I'd rather just have accurate speakers and enough power to avoid clipping. Uncolored sound sounds the best to my ears.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I agree with post #1 and post #2.

To add a little more--these "tube sonic qualities" that you mention--basically what you are saying (whether you realize it or not) is that you want to use a tube amp as an fixed-curve equalizer, or as a signal processor. That is NOT the job of the amplifier!

The job of the amplifier is to receive an input signal, and produce an accurate copy of the input signal, but with larger magnitude at the output stage.

If you want to alter that signal, the tool for that job is an equalizer or a processor.

Allen Powers

Allen Powers

Audiophyte
Fascinating! The input from all of you is awesome! There's so much to take in and I really appreciate your help!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis