Receiver or Pre-pro for a small all self powered speaker 3.1/5.1 setup

Alexandre

Alexandre

Audioholic
Hello,

I am considering setting up a small (12x12) TV room with a 2.1/3.1 or maybe possibly 5.1 system. This probably is a bit of a departure from the usual dedicated HT room discussions but, for mostly aesthetic reasons (this is a living area, definitely not dedicated solely to HT), I'd like to go with wireless speakers along the lines of Dynaudio Xeo2 and REL Habitat1 type of speakers/sub.

For this, I'm wondering if I could find a small receiver or pre-processor/pre-amp that would have the following connectivity:
- 4 or 5 HDMI inputs (I use 3 today but I could see myself getting 1 or maybe 2 more devices)
- 1 HDMI output
- 1 USB input (that's optional, I could go through the HDMI port from the Mac Mini with Kodi/Roon but USB would be neat)
- 5.1 line output (since the speakers will all be self powered)
- not super deep so that if fits inside a piece of furniture, meaning 14-15" deep max

I don't really care about:
- analog inputs
- volume control

Any thoughts on what hardware would fit those criteria? I'm also curious to hear if people have alternative recommendations for speakers/sub (and no, while that would be fun, an SVS PB13 Ultra will not fit in the room).

Thank you all and I'm looking forward to seeing what comes out of this conversation!
Alex.

Edit: maybe something along the lines of the outlaw model 975… http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/975.html

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
We all know PB13 won't fit but SB13 will, and even the tiny SB1000 should help a lot in a small room, though a perfectly square room could be a challenge.

Alexandre

Alexandre

Audioholic
We all know PB13 won't fit but SB13 will, and even the tiny SB1000 should help a lot in a small room, though a perfectly square room could be a challenge.
The room is definitely challenging, it's all glass windows on one side, large opening on the other and the tv/speakers would be occupying 2/3rd of a wall in a corner... maybe I should make a little drawing.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis