Receiver is out of date, what to upgrade to?

M

Movielover95

Audiophyte
So I recently decided to build a home theater. My issue is that i have an old Denon avr-483 that I got second hand because I was only going to do stereo. But due to circumstances in shipping delays and order problems I ended up with buying more and now have a full 5.2 setup (potentially going to 7.2). The receiver is out dated to the point of not hdmi,. Everywhere I read says hdmi is a must. It sounds fine the way I have it, but I would like hdmi for connecting all my devices.

My question is, I am on a budget (around $500) and I don't have the room for any height channels so should I buy a newer dtsx/atmos capable receiver or try to find a higher end previous gen without those capabilities?

Thanks.

Setup:
F/L : JBL ES90
SR/SL: JBL ES30
Center: JBL ES25C
Subs: 2 Sony wa2500
Using a projector and tv.
Main source will be xbox, bluray, cablebox, music

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You might be able to save on a slightly older/closeout model, might want to take a look around at accessories4less.com for a refurb/closeout unit to save some $. Most of the new ones are going to have the 4k/ceiling stuff going on, though and it doesn't hurt not to have to use such features if you don't have the gear to utilize. This one for $500 is pretty good

T

ThunderClap

Audioholic
I have heard a number of denon avrs and they always sound muted ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

ThunderClap

Audioholic
I was in magnolia room last week - deon v Yamaha v marantz v pioneer - denon everyone of them sounded weak - less powerful

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I was in magnolia room last week - deon v Yamaha v marantz v pioneer - denon everyone of them sounded weak - less powerful

Wow well that seals the deal with such a comprehensive test. :rolleyes: What were the parameters used in your comparo?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

What HD is getting at, is there are too many variables for you to be able to judge the difference unless they were level matched with no eq on and with the same speakers. Tweaking the volume on one, even just a little, can make a difference in the way it sounds. Otherwise it's not a real comparison. Amplifiers should all sound the same, at the same db within their capabilities.

*Edit: I actually prefer Denon for its room correction software, not because of the way it "sounds".

Last edited:
MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
If you are happy with the current brand check out the newer models.

T

ThunderClap

Audioholic
What HD is getting at, is there are too many variables for you to be able to judge the difference unless they were level matched with no eq on and with the same speakers. Tweaking the volume on one, even just a little, can make a difference in the way it sounds. Otherwise it's not a real comparison. Amplifiers should all sound the same, at the same db within their capabilities.

*Edit: I actually prefer Denon for its room correction software, not because of the way it "sounds".
That makes 0 sense

Sound is everything

T

ThunderClap

Audioholic
We used David Bowie songs & Fast & furious same DB level all across same def tech speakers - pioneer the lowest end sounded better than the high end Denon.
I don't get the Denon hype at all.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
That makes 0 sense

Sound is everything

Yes, and you will get that from your speakers. If an amp is coloring the sound, there's probably something wrong with it.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
We used David Bowie songs & Fast & furious same DB level all across same def tech speakers - pioneer the lowest end sounded better than the high end Denon.
I don't get the Denon hype at all.

So they were level matched? How do you know? Did you use an spl meter? Did you swap out amps from the same spot and use the same source? Did he defeat the eq and room correction software by running in pure or direct modes? Lots of variables to consider.

Hope that makes sense.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That makes 0 sense

Sound is everything

Sound is everything doesn't make sense. That you make no sense in the value of an actual comparison rather than some vague shopping experience you had....oh well.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja

I went to Denon from older legacy equipment that is still formidable even at today's standards and there is nothing muted about it.

I'd be more inclined to believe whoever is controlling the demos at the "Magnolia Room" is muted. I'd even go as far as to say they were told to push more of a certain brand due to overstock, for the Denon's outselling them, leaving them with overstock of everything else.

T

ThunderClap

Audioholic
Sound is everything - it's that simple.
Don't tell me about how you like a measuring device , your ears are the ultimate decider.

You're in a Best Buy sound room it's 100xs better than anywhere else you can test without buying 5 avrs to bring home.

The Denon was Dull - not just to me but others.
Denon isn't Denon anymore- they are marantz lite.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Sound is everything - it's that simple.
Don't tell me about how you like a measuring device , your ears are the ultimate decider.

You're in a Best Buy sound room it's 100xs better than anywhere else you can test without buying 5 avrs to bring home.

The Denon was Dull - not just to me but others.
Denon isn't Denon anymore- they are marantz lite.
I think you came to the wrong forum. The folks here take a no nonsense scientific approach that involves data, measurements and double blind testing. Do you know what that is? Of course your ears are the final judge, but there are plenty of correlations in proper objective measurements that coincides with subjective perception.

The differences you're hearing could be a number of reasons. Number 1 is your listening space is the best place to demo something. BB rooms are a mess for acoustics. Also, if a salesman is trying to push certain products, it would be easy to make one 'sound' better by using eq or room correction software, while turning it off on the Denon. Or he just flat out might be too stupid to understand how it works.

Also, level matching is very important when you're evaluating equipment like this. And I'm not talking about matching the numbers on the dial, true level matching with a spl meter. Even a 1 or 2 db bump in volume can make one amp 'sound' better because of the way our brains process and perceive sound.

The point is, unless you know for a fact they were truly on a level playing field, with all things equal, then it wasn't a real comparison.

Last edited:
T

ThunderClap

Audioholic
I was surely on a level field

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I was surely on a level field
And you know this how...? Did the salesperson use a spl (sound pressure level) meter for proper level matching and defeat all eq and room correction software for every amp you listened to? Were the same speakers used in the same place from the listening position for each amp? If not, all things weren't equal and it wasn't a true comparison.

Btw, I'm only in this conversation because I think everyone here is tired of replying to statements like yours and I'm still new enough and not too jaded yet to entertain this type of discussion. A lot of this stuff I've recently learned and have a little real world experience with different brands of amplifiers. They all sound the same unless you engage some sort of eq, which would make a huge difference in any brand. Speaker position, different areas of the room... all this is relevant and more.

T

ThunderClap

Audioholic
My ears are better than an spl meter

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis