Receiver for Polk Monitor 70s

M

markloika

Audiophyte
Hi,

I recently ordered 2 Polk Monitor 70 Series II tower speakers, and I need advice for a good receiver to power them. I will be running a 2.0 setup to start, and possibly upgrading to full surround sound in the future (so a 5.x or 7.x receiver is needed). I would also like the receiver to upscale SD inputs and output them (along with all other inputs) via a single HDMI cable to the TV. I have a 47" Vizio LCD.

My budget is $300-$500. I've looked at the following receivers:

Pioneer VSX-920, VSX-1020
Yamaha 1065
Onkyo SR-608

I've spent hours reading various reviews and it seems there is no clear 'best' receiver, which is why I'm posting here for help.

Thanks!
Mark

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I think you answered your own question. At the $500 price point, there ISN'T a clear winner, since that is probably the most competetive segment of the market. They will all have similar power, similar features, etc... So you are going to have to take a look at what differentiates them and decied if those are the features you need.

I would probably also include Marantz and Denon in your search, though $500 is going to get you entry level from them.

If you don't mind refurb, you can take a look at www.ac4l.com for refurbed Marantz and Onkyos that should still have the features you need.

M

markloika

Audiophyte
I decided to up the budget to $700, and I bought the recertified Yamaha RX-V3900. I'm looking forward to when it arrives!

Thanks for the suggestion on that, it's a great deal.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
I decided to up the budget to $700, and I bought the recertified Yamaha RX-V3900. I'm looking forward to when it arrives!

Thanks for the suggestion on that, it's a great deal.
Take your time to read the manual. If you have any questions during set-up, the folks at the Audioholic Store are top notch in helping. Don't hesitate to post your questions here as well.

I own a Z7, which is very similar to the unit you purchased. If there is anything I can help with, don't hesitate to PM me. I will be glad to help.

I think you did the right thing, and hope you have many years of great service from the unit.;)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis