j_davis_1980

Audiophyte
Hi All,
I am planning to get the following:
B&W CM8 - 2 Front speakers
B&W CM5 or B&W CM1 - 2 Rear speakers
B&W CM Centre 2 or B&W CM Centre - Centre Speaker
B&W ASW10CM - Sub woofer.

I have decided to go with the B&W speakers after many demonstrations. but mostly they were on Marantz, Integra, Yamaha, Etc. The demonstration on yamaha was on the RXA 3030 and to me the speakers sounded the worst with yamaha. I actually like the speakers best on marantz.Also in many forums there has been a mention that BW CM speakers can sound different when they are paired with different receiver.

I am not able to listen to the combination of Denon + BW since there are not dealers who deal in both the brands.

I am currently looking at Yamaha RXA 1030 or Denon AVR X3000.
Does any one have experienced the same (BW CM speakers sounding considerably different on different receiver)? Also I would like some advice selecting a receiver for the B&W CM speakers. Mostly i would be listing to pop, country, blues (Easy listening) etc. I am just trying to find a good match for the speakers.

Thanks in advance.
J.Davis.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Denon & Marantz are basically the same (same parent company D&M), with some minor differences.

Power Output @ 1% THD 2CH 8 ohms/ 2CH 4 ohms/ 5CH 8 ohms:
$1200 Marantz 6006: 153.2/195.8/92.0
$1200 Denon 3312: 143.3/225.5/103.0
$1200 Yamaha 1020: 129.2/173.0/73.2
$1100 Pioneer SC61: 150.3/247.5/127.7

I do like the Audyssey-XT, so I would recommend the X4000, which has the Audyssey-XT32. Call Electronics Expo and see if they can sell for $850.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I understand that you like B&W sound, but I highly recommend to swap out the sub to SVS, HSU or similar level ID brand sub\
Sub and speakers don't have to be brand/timbre matched

A

avengineer

Banned
Denon & Marantz are basically the same (same parent company D&M), with some minor differences.

Hi-lo:
Except for the 5 ch/8 ohms rating, everything shown is within 1dB. For 8 ohm/5 ch, the difference between the Yamaha 1020 and the Pioneer SC61 is 2.4dB.

I do like the Audyssey-XT, so I would recommend the X4000, which has the Audyssey-XT32.
Yeah, me to!

Last edited:
J

j_davis_1980

Audiophyte

I do like the Audyssey-XT, so I would recommend the X4000, which has the Audyssey-XT32. Call Electronics Expo and see if they can sell for $850.
Thanks for the info.
I am in Melbourne, Australia.
I am now trying to find out stores who deal with both BW & Denon so that I will be actually be able to listen to BW speakers powered by Denon.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I second the not getting bw sub, and the Denon units sound good every time I hear them... I am a little confused how the Yamaha sounded the worse? What was different? Output, clarity, balance/EQ, distortion, or was it the soundstage, and the actual reproduction??? Curious...

J

j_davis_1980

Audiophyte
I second the not getting bw sub, and the Denon units sound good every time I hear them... I am a little confused how the Yamaha sounded the worse? What was different? Output, clarity, balance/EQ, distortion, or was it the soundstage, and the actual reproduction??? Curious...
The Yamaha RXA 3030 + BW CM8 primarily lacked the clarity. I am not a audio expert. So i might not be able to explain this accurately but will try to do my best.
The Yamaha was set to 2 channel mode. So while just listening to the CM8's i felt the depth of sound (clarity) was simply not present (specially on the higher frequencies). Again the same music was played in the same setup with JBL speakers and they actually were better. One explanation the sales person gave me was that CM8 do sound soft naturally and it is better for listning music for longer periods. But in the same place I could not get the sales person to pair the BW with another receiver to determine if the receiver was at fault or not. Also I am not sure if there was some DSP programs turned on the yamaha.

Then again when I was listening to BW + Marantz in another store, The quality of sound was really good. Here also I tried switching the speakers (Polk audio & KEF i think). I felt that the CM8 sounded the best. This demonstration was the primary reason I decided to go with BW CM series speakers.

Also I came across this article "http://www.whathifi.com/review/bw-cm8" which actually states "requires careful partnering with electronics".
So that's the reason that I started this thread to get some advice from the experts on weather its really a fact that B&W CM speakers could possibly sound differently on different receivers?

My understanding till now was that (Feel free to correct me) :
-> Receivers possibly cannot enhance the quality of sound. they can only amplify it with or without any further degradation of the source. This may be not true in case of DSP programs.
-> Speakers have specific characters like (Good bass or midrange or treble etc) which is consistent regardless of the amp powering it. This was the reason I first started looking for a speaker and then just getting a receiver to match it.
-> Quality of music is dependent on the source. ie cd/dvd/blue ray/turn table/ipod etc.

Maybe it was just my perception that the BW was not sounding good with yamaha.
I will the rechecking this possibly this week or next and post the updates.

-J.Davis.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis