Receiver Choosing Help...

S

shockemags

Junior Audioholic
For my apartment, I am going to purchase a 50+" rear projection tv with a Toshiba HD-A2, Xbox 360 via HD component. My speakers are the Fluance AV-F3 towers and AV-SC center to start (I will add the Fluance AV-BP2 satellites in a few months) and a AV123 X-Sub. I am running the HD-A2 to the received by HDMI and will be hooking the Xbox audio by TOSLINK optical. I am looking to get a solid HDMI receiver that will give me good power and device options. I have been suggested the Onkyo 604 and 605. I am leaning towards the 604 bc of price and the 605 is a nice system but a little more than I need. I can get the 604 for $375 shipped. So my question is... Does any one have any suggestions other than the 604 and 605 that will meet my needs in the sub $400 price range.

Thanks.

P.S. I am trying to save as much money as possible.

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
I think the rank and file big time posters here get tired of answering the same question over and over. You usually get a better response if you list all the options available. Like all the receivers you've looked at for $400 and under, with links to the actual receiver descriptions. As well as taking the time to read the threads on this message board that have covered this topic ad infinitum. I have owned a Pioneer Elite receiver and currently have a Denon AVR 1801 in my bedroom system. Both performed equally well, imo.

senna1a

senna1a

Enthusiast
New or used

Hi,

If your looking new only, the Onk 604 will work.... If your willing to buy used / ebay here's a couple more that can be found for under $400:

HK AVR247
Yamaha RX-V661
Yamaha RX-V1700
Denon 2307ci

Hope this helps...

S

shockemags

Junior Audioholic
Thanks everyone. I have stumbled across the 661 in my shopping but being new to the Home Audio & Video scene I can't tell the difference between the Yam 661, Onkyo 604, and Onkyo 605 respectively :( and more importantly which receiver would be better for my system. Is a refurb a good route to go in order to get into a higher level receiver? Any suggestions/knowledge?

P.S. I won't be making any major purchases until early August so I am hoping for a few price drops on various products. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis