Receiver and 2 channel amp with different watt ratings

S

spdluck

Audiophyte
My main receiver is a Marantz SR-6008 rated at 120watts per channel. I recently purchased a Rotel 2 channel amp RB-1582 MKII rated at 200watts. The reason for purchasing the Rotel was for higher quality 2 channel sound. I am running a NAD CD player and everything sounds great with pure Analog audio. My main speakers are Bowers and Wilkens 703 with all Transparent Audio cables.
I have 7 speakers in my setup.
I have the fronts set to large and the rest of the speakers set to small. Cross over for mains is set to 40hz.
I realize that the receiver volume goes all the way to 100 and when we are watching a movie we usually listen between 60-70 on the volume nob.

My main concern is when watching movies since there is a difference in power output won't the 2 main speakers scale up at a different rate then the rest of the system?
I would imagine if i was pushing the receiver closer to max volume i might be able to tell better if there was a different but oh boy is that really loud and was hoping a more technical explanation might be explained. thanks for the input on this matter. just been bothering me for the last week.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
My main receiver is a Marantz SR-6008 rated at 120watts per channel. I recently purchased a Rotel 2 channel amp RB-1582 MKII rated at 200watts. The reason for purchasing the Rotel was for higher quality 2 channel sound. I am running a NAD CD player and everything sounds great with pure Analog audio. My main speakers are Bowers and Wilkens 703 with all Transparent Audio cables.
I have the fronts set to large and the rest of the speakers set to small. Cross over for mains is set to 40hz.
I realize that the receiver volume goes all the way to 100 and when we are watching a movie we usually listen between 60-70 on the volume nob.

My main concern is when watching movies since there is a difference in power output won't the 2 main speakers scale up at a different rate then the rest of the system?
I would imagine if i was pushing the receiver closer to max volume i might be able to tell better if there was a different but oh boy is that really loud and was hoping a more technical explanation might be explained. thanks for the input on this matter. just been bothering me for the last week.
No, the watts available is an irrelevant factor relative to your question. It is the sensitivity that is the issue and Rotel has standard line level sensitivity, so you are fine.

Even if your sensitivity was adrift, the auto set up will sort it out.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.

With full signal levels, setting the volume control is a bit like flooring your gas pedal and waiting for parts to fly through the hood of your car. Rated output and raising the VC to 100 are two different things and if you need to operate at full output as an average level, you A) need a more powerful receiver or amp and B) will damage your hearing.

Controls allow signal level to increase according to a graphical representation, called the 'taper' (not far off of a physical taper, if you think about it)- one is called 'Audio Taper' and another is called 'Linear Taper'. One of them will increase the level slowly, at first, then the increase will seem to rise more quickly, according to the curve on the graph (Audio Taper) and the Linear Taper is just a straight line on the graph. There are others too, and which is used depends on the wants of the designer and/or the needs of the circuit. They're not all the same, even from one manufacturer, so don't set the volume controls the same and expect the pieces to be at the same volume level.

Find a comfortable level, regardless of what you use to amplify the audio- if you ever need to go WOT, it means the equipment isn't matched/set up properly or you need more power (or more sensitive speakers).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis