Received my Onkyo RC180, questions

J

jakebake

Audioholic Intern
I received my onkyo rc180 from accessories4less yesterday. It is refurbished for 349.99. This thing looks absolutely perfect. If no one ever told me it was refurbished you would never know. The receiver I was using before this one was the one from this HTIB: http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-YHT-393BL-Channel-System-Black/dp/B003CP0KAA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1310743977&sr=8-1

I didn't think it would be THAT much of a difference when hooking this one up, but the difference was HUGE. Way clearer and more detailed.
So far I am very happy with this purchase. I feel like for this price it was a steal.

I am using different fronts than the HTIB but I am still using the center, sub, and surrounds from it :)()
I have never used Audyssey or anything like it before. When going through it it says to put the mic at listening position at ear height. How do you guys do this? I just put it on top of a box on my couch? Everything seems to work fine except it was really hard for me to get it to pick up my center channel. During the process if I didn't move the mic closer when it went to the center channel it would not pick it up. Any tips?
Also for 5.1 the surrounds need to be in SR and SL and NOT SBR and SBL?

When I went to listen to music (two fronts and sub) I thought it sounded pretty weird and sterile. Not sure if this was because Audyssey was still on?
When I hooked up my tube poweramp for the fronts music sounded much better.

All in all I am very impressed so far.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Congrats on the new receiver! It's always nice to experience a step up.

When going through it it says to put the mic at listening position at ear height. How do you guys do this? I just put it on top of a box on my couch?
I used to put the mic on a box on my couch, exactly like you did. I also tried putting it on a stack of pillows. Just whatever was convenient. Then I read that it might distort the sound going to the mic. I don't own a tripod (which would be ideal), so I prop up a pole (part of the handle from a Swiffer Sweeper) and put the mic on top of it. I don't know if that works any better, though.

Everything seems to work fine except it was really hard for me to get it to pick up my center channel. During the process if I didn't move the mic closer when it went to the center channel it would not pick it up. Any tips?
Hmmm. I'll think about this and get back to you unless someone else answers first.

Also for 5.1 the surrounds need to be in SR and SL and NOT SBR and SBL?
That is correct.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Regarding detection of the center channel, it might be that the impedance is high and causing the speaker volume to be lower.
  • Double check your wiring from the receiver to the center channel and make sure it's a good connection. Also, to troubleshoot, I'd suggest swapping the speaker wire from one of the speakers that does work with the center channel to see if it's the wire.
  • Check the impedance of your center channel (although, I'm guessing that's not it). It's likely listed in your owner's manual if it's not on the speaker. If you have trouble finding it, just let me know which HTIB you have, and I'll see if I can find that info.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Radio Shack sells inexpensive tripods for about $15. That's where I got mine.

Using a tripod makes it simple and you can stand behind it so your body doesn't interfere with the sound.

J

jakebake

Audioholic Intern
Regarding detection of the center channel, it might be that the impedance is high and causing the speaker volume to be lower.
  • Double check your wiring from the receiver to the center channel and make sure it's a good connection. Also, to troubleshoot, I'd suggest swapping the speaker wire from one of the speakers that does work with the center channel to see if it's the wire.
  • Check the impedance of your center channel (although, I'm guessing that's not it). It's likely listed in your owner's manual if it's not on the speaker. If you have trouble finding it, just let me know which HTIB you have, and I'll see if I can find that info.

the HTIB I have isin the link on the first post. Thanks I will this when I get home.

On a different note....when using just the SR and SL should I have my surrounds in he back or on the left and right sides

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
the HTIB I have isin the link on the first post.
Oops...duh. :eek:

On a different note....when using just the SR and SL should I have my surrounds in he back or on the left and right sides
Here's one of the guide articles here at AH that discusses speaker placement for surround sound. I actually don't follow their 5.1 set up, and instead I have them placed near the back wall inline with the front speakers.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
According to the owner's manual, the center channel speaker is nominally 6 Ohms and has a sensitivity of 85 dB. Those seem well within the ranges that should work with your new receiver.

If you don't run Audyssey, can you hear the center channel okay?

J

jakebake

Audioholic Intern
According to the owner's manual, the center channel speaker is nominally 6 Ohms and has a sensitivity of 85 dB. Those seem well within the ranges that should work with your new receiver.

If you don't run Audyssey, can you hear the center channel okay?
Yeah i can hear it fine. Where I had the mic I moved it about 1.5-2feet closer in order to get it to pick up the center and then moved the mic back. When auddyssey was dont the center channel is pretty balanced however it is annoying have to do that. I will probably get a tripod and see if that helps at all

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis