Rebuilding Reaction Audio CX-12t Speakers

S

Sig716DMR

Audiophyte
I had purchased my RA CX-12t speakers close to two years ago and they received minimal use and always sounded decent to me in my HT room for HT duty. When I moved them to another room for strictly music duties, I started to notice the speakers sounding worse and worse the more I turned them up. I went back to another forum that had a large thread about RA speakers and started catching up. Lo and behold, I read that some of these earlier speakers had poorly designed crossovers. I had to know, so I removed the driver and I definitely had one of these poorly constructed crossovers (pic below). Then RA went out of business and I'm more or less stuck with these large speakers that sounds 'OK'. So now I'm wondering if I could put in new drivers and crossovers and make them serious speakers... Only problem is I am super new to speaker/xover design and theory. Hoping you guys could help if I provided a bunch of info:

Cabinet:
14"x14"x39.25"
1" MDF (I think)
12" woofer (was a Radian 5212B-8 2-way coaxial)
5" dia lower front port

Thoughts:
- Radian has prefabbed crossovers for their other similar coaxial speakers, but I don't know if they'd work in the cabinets I have. Examples: 5312, 5312Be, 5312Neo
- If I could use the prefabbed crossovers, would I benefit from going with a newer model ?(ie http://www.usspeaker.com/radian 5312-1.htm)
- What other 12" coaxial speakers should I be looking at that could work with these cabinets?
- I really, really am not interested in making my own crossover. I don't have the tools or experience.

I inevitably must've left out important info, so please let me know what other info is needed to help me with this project.

BSflMKx.jpg image_1426460294794.jpg Radian 5208C-e-.jpg

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If you go to avsforum.com and find tuxedocivic (Ryan) I believe he designed and built crossovers for Jeremy/RA for those speakers (and got stiffed by Jeremy IIRC). Here's his website http://impulseaudio.ca/
Member mtg90 over there may have also been involved but its been a while....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis