Rear surround speaker placement

Q

quantum1976

Audiophyte
I'm looking for some opinions on where to place two rear surround speakers. I want to setup a 5.1 surround sound system for a small 12x12 room. Based on the ceiling layout and attic access, I can think of three locations I can install in-ceiling/in-wall speakers. I've marked the accessible locations A, B, and C in the image.

Can any one give me any suggestions?

Thanks,
Rich

http://imageshack.us/a/img843/8206/photoxbi.jpg

hyghwayman

hyghwayman

Audioholic
Hard to tell from the picture but can you put the surrounds to the sides of the seating area instead of behind?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Hard to tell from the picture but can you put the surrounds to the sides of the seating area instead of behind?

If they are rear surrounds, they belong behind the seating area. If they are side surrounds, they should be slightly behind the seating area anyways, within 15-20 degrees of the main LP if I remember correctly.

It's hard to tell exactly what the best place would without a shot from the front of the room looking towards the back of the room where you can also see the LP. However, but from picture I would go with the in wall, rather than the in ceiling. That would just be my personal preference though.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I'd say B or C depending on where you sit. Try to "dry" test placement based on your listening position to get an idea of how they sound first, because just picking a spot based on what looks good or is the easiest doesn't always yield ideal sound.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis