Rear Speakers for Existing Home Theater

B

bpatters69

Audiophyte
Hello All,
I want to complete my home theater set-up and all I need are two rear speakers. I would prefer to install the speakers in the ceiling vs on the wall. I have answered the questions to provide informatoin on my set up.

1) Your budget.
$500 for a pair. I can go higher if $500 is not reasonable

2) Your listening interests: movies/gaming/music--and whether or not any of those are your primary concern.
I primarily watch movies and listen to movies. I do not have a game hooked up to my home stereo.

3) Your existing audio equipment (make/models) if any. Include comments about what you hope to improve upon.
I have the following components:
Yamaha Aventage Receiver A-730
Two B&W 685 Front Speakers
One B&W HTM62 Center Speaker

4) The size of your room. Please also mention if there are adjacent open areas and how big they are (important for subwoofer choice).
TV Room is 11' x 21'. The kitchen borders one of the long side as does the dining room. The other long side is a window.

5) Any placement restrictions.
I would prefer to have the speakers placed in the ceiling

6) Any aesthetic or size concerns.
Speakers whould be white if placed in the ceiling.

7) Any equipment you are already considering (or would not consider).
Open to any suggestions.

8) Any particular audio sonic signatures you know you prefer (e.g., you are a basshead, you have a preference for bright treble, etc.)
None

Thanks, Bill

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Hello All,
I want to complete my home theater set-up and all I need are two rear speakers.

I have the following components:
Yamaha Aventage Receiver A-730
Two B&W 685 Front Speakers
One B&W HTM62 Center Speaker
So you're really looking to add 2 side speakers, not 2 rear. Right?
It looks like you currently have a 3.0 system, (Left/Center/Right). You want to add a Surround Left and a Surround Right for 5.0 system. If you already had 5.0, you could add a Surround Left Rear and a Surround Right Rear for a 7.0 system. Just FYI.

Others here have knowledge of ceiling speakers that I do not, so I'll let them recommend. I do have one question. If your main interest is movies, have you considered a subwoofer? While you will enjoy the surrounds, you would be stunned by the addition of a good sub. You cannot "complete" your home theater without one or two. Can't put it in the ceiling, though. :eek:

R

Roger Ewing

Audioholic Intern
I agree with the need for a sub.

One question I have, if a person is NOT doing 7 speakers, would side or rear be best to finish out the 5.1 system?

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
I agree with the need for a sub.

One question I have, if a person is NOT doing 7 speakers, would side or rear be best to finish out the 5.1 system?
Side. The fronts get way more sound than the sides, and the sides get way more sound than the rears. Besides, the vast majority of movies/TV are in 5.1. Movies mastered in 7.1 are much less common than those in 5.1.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis