just-some-guy

just-some-guy

Audioholic Field Marshall
i am going to hook up my "first ever" rear speakers. they are my current surrounds. should i mount them under the corner thingy(what are those called ?) with the vents in it. or should i mount them up close to the ceiling, angled down some ? i am figuring about 4' apart, is that optimal ? 12' wide room. seating is about 4' away going straight horizontal.

thanx

btw. "seems" i have more attachment space. does that go up for a member like me ?

Last edited:
M

m_vanmeter

Full Audioholic
for your room, I would suggest you follow the DD 5.1 layout suggestions. You will not gain much from attempting 7.1

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
ok, i just now saw this link. seems my current surrounds are kinda close to what they say are good. maybe i should leave em ?
i have never heard 7.1, so i don't know what is best.
http://www.dolby.com/consumer/home_entertainment/roomlayout2.html
Follow that guideline. You do have the space for it, but you will need to angle the driver towards the listening position. And you may want to hand them lower than the door frame to get a decent angle. But I think it will work. You can also use stands, just be prepared to adjust a lot if you do.

Shock

Shock

Audioholic General
I'm going to skip the entire first posts and just say, "In the rear! Duh!"

the grunt

the grunt

Audioholic
m vanmeter said:
for your room, I would suggest you follow the DD 5.1 layout suggestions. You will not gain much from attempting 7.1
I agree that you won’t gain much by going to 7.1. But heck it's worth a try.

just-some-guy said:
ok, i just now saw this link. seems my current surrounds are kinda close to what they say are good. maybe i should leave em ?
i have never heard 7.1, so i don't know what is best.
If you want to try 7.1 I think your idea of putting them about 4’ apart is good. If you have the time and can find some stands, preferably ladders or something closer to your planned placement height do some experimenting to find the best location. If you try 7.1 you might want to move your surround speakers a little farther forward.

I’m glad I experimented because I found that placing my 5.1 surrounds farther back than the current Dolby recommendations I got much better sound. (I’ve seen Dolby recommendations to put 5.1 surrounds further back to make up for not having “rears” but can’t find the link). With my 5.1 setup I ended up with my speakers in the corners where yours are in the pictures. Generally people say not to put speakers in the corners because it can result in boomy bass and color their tone, but I found that this wasn’t an issue for me.

The thing that might improve your surround sound the most would be to move the couch off the wall and center it between the speakers. That’s assuming you can based on other considerations.

Cheers,
Dean

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

Follow that guideline. You do have the space for it, but you will need to angle the driver towards the listening position. And you may want to hand them lower than the door frame to get a decent angle. But I think it will work. You can also use stands, just be prepared to adjust a lot if you do.
ok, thats what i will do. right now, i have them rigged up, boxs and a board. they are about 4' apart, and very near the overhang thing. i just have some wires run across the floor. i did this so i could hurry up and try em out. running hidden wires is going to be a chore.

professional installation :D

Last edited:
just-some-guy

just-some-guy

I agree that you won’t gain much by going to 7.1. But heck it's worth a try.

If you want to try 7.1 I think your idea of putting them about 4’ apart is good. If you have the time and can find some stands, preferably ladders or something closer to your planned placement height do some experimenting to find the best location. If you try 7.1 you might want to move your surround speakers a little farther forward.

I’m glad I experimented because I found that placing my 5.1 surrounds farther back than the current Dolby recommendations I got much better sound. (I’ve seen Dolby recommendations to put 5.1 surrounds further back to make up for not having “rears” but can’t find the link). With my 5.1 setup I ended up with my speakers in the corners where yours are in the pictures. Generally people say not to put speakers in the corners because it can result in boomy bass and color their tone, but I found that this wasn’t an issue for me.

The thing that might improve your surround sound the most would be to move the couch off the wall and center it between the speakers. That’s assuming you can based on other considerations.

Cheers,
Dean
yep, worth a try. i have never heard it before. i have it, and extra speakers. and there really seems to be a hole in the back sound stage. so, what the hey, i'm going to try it.

yeah, the surrounds are not staying there. i just have yet to move em forward.

the couch, well, at least MY seat on the couch, is dead center. in the sweat spot. wife sits on the end. she doesn't mind, or doesn't say she minds. she is much less critical than i am. but that couch is going to be replaced by 2 recliners.

CraigV

CraigV

Audioholic General
Take note of the white arrows. This is a typical location for a rear:

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

lol. that is my prefered location for something else :D

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

ummm. oh-yeah. i tried em out today. but the movie didn't have much of anything for the rears. Pride and Glory, pretty good movie, none the less.

someone care to recommend a GOOD 7.1 movie ?

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

i found out that movie was only 5.1. i just now watched BANGKOK DANGEROUS, full DTS 7.1.
i did notice a difference, but it wasn't much. but my back setup isn't good, yet.

no doubt, i am going to fully install and use 7.1.

the grunt

the grunt

Audioholic
I imagine that as more movies make better use out of 7.1 you will start to notice a little more. One thing I’ve noticed that sometimes helps on 5.1 movies when using Dolby PLIIx is to run the rear channels a little hot. In my setup it seems to help them better complement the surround channels. Just something to try if you’re experimenting.

Cheers,
Dean

CraigV

CraigV

Audioholic General
“Forbidden Kingdom” and “The Orphanage” are two BD titles that come to mind for 7.1

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

I imagine that as more movies make better use out of 7.1 you will start to notice a little more.

One thing I’ve noticed that sometimes helps on 5.1 movies when using Dolby PLIIx is to run the rear channels a little hot. In my setup it seems to help them better complement the surround channels. Just something to try if you’re experimenting.
true, i'm sure it will get better.

yeah, i've done that with my surrounds before. seems sometimes the directors don't care about the surrounds. so i kick em up to balance what is there.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
i found out that movie was only 5.1. i just now watched BANGKOK DANGEROUS, full DTS 7.1.
i did notice a difference, but it wasn't much. but my back setup isn't good, yet.

no doubt, i am going to fully install and use 7.1.
Transformers has one of the best surround tracks I've heard so far. There are a couple of Jet Li movies with very good tracks as well. Forbidden Kingdom is good, and there are several others out there. Ladder 49 was good, but I don't think it was 7.1. Still a good movie though.

WAR is a true 7.1 LPCM movie. Worth a look IMO.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis