Really confused and need advice

D

Djeayzonne

Junior Audioholic
Hello,

I will just totally honest here, I have Asperger's Syndrome, which normally requires me to obsessively research things and uncover every detail about everything, up to the point I feel comfortable before I can make decisions and start a project. I just moved into my newly built house, and coming from a one-bed apartment, I have a lot of rooms to buy furniture for, and so on. Of course for me, the thing I really care about is my media room. Unfortunately I just don't have the time to do the research I normally do. So please help me out on everything as much as you can.

I don't know what screen size or type to get. Room is 17'6" by 12'2", pre-set for easy ceiling installation of projector. Viewing distance will be 12-13 feet or so, haven't made my final decision on that. Closed-room, no-window type of room with french door entrance. Carpeted with upgraded pad, paid for sound deadening in walls and floor (however, once I realized this was just the exterior wall insulation, I figure this is next to worthless).

I don't want to pay the extra money for a motorized screen unless there is some compelling reason to do so other than it being cool.

I did try to do some pre-research on projectors, and seemed like the Epson 8350 was the way to go, at least for a few years until I had more disposable income after paying off some of the initial furniture, and having some experience. The A/V place I went to to purchase my Paradigm 5.0 speaker set had this and some other projectors set up. Maybe it is the way they have it set up or the fact that it was some TV football game, but I did not like it. I felt blacks and overall color saturation was very weak. I am coming from a Viera 50 inch plasma, and I never liked LCD TVs for the same reason.

I looked at their JVC X30. I am also very confused about JVC naming conventions. Some seem to have completely different names but are being referenced as though they are the same. I like this one much better, but all they had left was a demo with 350 hours on the bulb for 3200. I thought that was too high. Although still, compared to my plasma, I honestly don't understand how anyone can say any projector has good black levels. Please educate me if that is a very freshman reaction.

I have another local guy offering the new X3 for 3100 including the ceiling mount, install/calibration for another 150.

What would you suggest on this? I plan to watch movies and play PS3 games mostly. Not really into TV except for live tennis matches. For the gaming and tennis, I want something with smooth movement obviously.

Is the JVC worth the extra money over the Epson 8350? Are there better products at this 3000 price point? Is the 3100 the local guy offered a good deal on this particular product?

Any and all help appreciated. Fellow detail freaks most definitely welcome!

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
JVC: X3, X7, X9 - 2011 models
JVC: RS40, RS60, RS70 - 2011 models - equivalents to X3, X7, and X9

JVC: X30, X70, X90 - 2012 models
JVC: RS45, RS55, RS65 - 2012 models - I believe they are equivalents to the ones listed above.

So, the X3 at $3,100 is a good price, but not great. I know I could get you the RS45 for about $2,900 shipped, then you could get a brand new Chief RMPA-U mount for about $150. So, that would be the newer and most current comparible model for a bit less cash.

You would still need to install it and get a basic calibration.

For your viewing distance of 12' I would recommend a 110" diagonal fixed frame screen like the Carada Criterion in Brilliant White material.

Projection Screens - Home Theater Projector Screens by Carada - 110 Inch Diagonal Criterion Series Projection Screen - 1.78 to 1 - Home Theater Screen Theater Projection Screens Front

Just under $900

The JVC is significantly better than almost anything else I've seen.

Your MEDIA ROOM - is by far - the biggest factor in your image quality. You must have it painted dark with dark walls and dark ceiling and if at all possible, dark carpet. Add lots of lighting to make it 'bright' upon entry, but turning out lights doesn't make a room dark when you turn on a 1,500 lumen flashlight and bounce if off a reflective screen onto white walls.

I consider a good dark room to be what makes a projector into a more plasma-like display.

PM me if you have any pricing questions.

D

Djeayzonne

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for the quick response!

Sorry, it is the new one, so the X30, not the X3 for 3100 with the mount (model unknown).

As I still no nothing about the world of projectors, I must say my initial reaction to a 900 dollar screen is 'It's just a screen, why 900?'.

Is such an expenditure really necessary? And why?

Yes, I definitely plan to paint the walls. I was thinking a real dark blue. Carpet is not dark, not bright I would say.

Thanks!

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
When painting, be sure to use flat paint. Not eggshell! FLAT.

The screen is all about the material and the frame. If you think about how a projector works, it is creating the light, but the screen is the other half of the equation. If the screen doesn't provide a perfectly flat surface with accurate color, then the end result will be a poor quality image, always. Likewise, a good screen will last 10-20 years, while a projector may be replaced after 7-10 years. So, a screen is a long term purchase, while the projector is not as long term.

Finally, a good quality screen will not just have a good surface, but will have a frame which is wide and supports the screen material fully. It will provide a beveled edge which eliminates any chance for shadowing, and will provide a deep black surround material which will soak up any overscan light. It will also have a mounting bracket which supports the top and bottom in a manner which prvents any screen sagging.

Manual screens do not offer this at all ($100-$250). Electric non-tensioned screens do not offer this ($200-$1,000+). Cheap tensioned electric screens may offer this ($700+). Cheap fixed frame screens are not nearly as robust and are not as accurate ($300-$600). Boutique and higher end fixed frame screens tend to be overkill for a proper theater environment ($1,200-$2,500+). So, the $900 Carada is not an expensive screen by any means when you consider that you are looking to achieve a bright, high quality image with a wide viewing angle that faithfully delivers excellent black levels and great performance.

I have used Draper, DaLite, Stewart - and the Carada is virtually identical in quality.

I've also used Elite, Focupix, and a couple other cheaper brands, and Carada exceeds them in quality.

So, for getting a top notch screen, for a fair price, I recommend them over others first.

If you want a good image, then a good viewing surface is a must, and you are free to get Draper, DaLite, or Stewart if you want that same level of quality, but you will then realize that $900 is not a lot to spend on a quality screen.

A GOOD in-ceiling tab-tensioned motorized screen typically starts at about $2,000.
Thanks for the quick response!

Sorry, it is the new one, so the X30, not the X3 for 3100 with the mount (model unknown).

As I still no nothing about the world of projectors, I must say my initial reaction to a 900 dollar screen is 'It's just a screen, why 900?'.

Is such an expenditure really necessary? And why?

Yes, I definitely plan to paint the walls. I was thinking a real dark blue. Carpet is not dark, not bright I would say.

Thanks!

goodman

goodman

Full Audioholic
BMXTRX, why do you recommend the brilliant white? What is the gain of such a screen material?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
The Brilliant White material is rated as a minimal gain (1.4) screen. This adds a bit of punch to images and is exceptional with projectors that have good black levels because it can increase the perceived overall contrast delivered. You still maintain a very wide viewing angle, but for viewing things where you might want the lights on just a bit (zoned, dimmers, etc.) you can turn the back lights on, and still have a bit more punch from the projected image while viewing sports.

For an example of the difference in how movies vs. sports appear when lights are on/off within a room take a look at this:
AV Integrated - Custom Audio Visual Integration In Washington DC Metropolitan Area

So, a bit of positive gain adds to the potential light output of a projector and can brighten the image. To much gain and you lose viewing angle and get hot-spotting. Lower gain screens, or negative gain screens (.8 or lower) decrease brightness in an attempt to correct for poor black levels, but can make an image appear 'drab' if there are not enough lumens to work with, which is often the case.

A properly painted theater, like you are suggesting, gets the most benefit from a solid projector like the JVC models, and a good screen. There are more expensive screens, and more expensive projectors, but you start seeing very little gain in quality for the additional money which is spent from this level up. This is what I call the low end of the high end and what you would end up with is a system that looks phenomenal but didn't cost $20,000.

Of course, don't neglect the audio! But, I will leave the audio discussions to those who really know their stuff on that.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
BMXTRX, why do you recommend the brilliant white? What is the gain of such a screen material?
Besides what was responded back on this, not many projectors put the theater 16 footLamber light out so a gain over 1 is also a help there.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis