Really Boring Stuff Only III: Resurrection

Discussion in 'The Steam Vent' started by Adam, Sep 3, 2012.

1. rojo Audioholic Samurai

rojo
    My Amazon Echo I ordered on Prime Day finally arrived yesterday. I broke Amazon's chat support Indian this evening.

Phone support tech made more of an effort, but Amazon has no solution for people in my predicament. I resolved it myself by setting Pandora as my default station service, and setting my Pandora account not to allow explicit content.

Still, Gayathri provided ample amusement for the evening. I enjoy the sport of frustrating incompetent support techs.
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    rojo,
    • Funny Funny x 2
  2. NINaudio Audioholic

NINaudio
    Ahh, good old tech support: "did you restart?"

Yes, multiple times.
  3. Alex2507 Audioholic Slumlord

Alex2507
    Suddenly I want to listen to more Katie Perry.
  4. killdozzer Full Audioholic

killdozzer
    FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS

upload_2017-8-11_11-34-59.jpeg

Daaaaamn...
  5. Pogre Audioholic Ninja

Pogre
  6. killdozzer Full Audioholic

killdozzer
    Nope. According to the "Beef Made Easy" guide (which I use when I communicate with people from USA, because some names differ), this is a rib-eye steak (circled blue). But it hasn't been trimmed at all. Which I don't mind because several bits around the rib-eye are just as lovely in a different way. I removed the bone to avoid scratching my steak pan.
    upload_2017-8-11_15-42-53.jpeg

I did, eventually cram it in side. :) No choice. But it was one of the better red meat marendas I had in a long while.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. TheWarrior Audioholic Samurai

TheWarrior
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Pogre Audioholic Ninja

Pogre
    Whoever cut it left the cap on, which makes it look a little more like chuck. The chuck and ribeye are the same piece of meat. It goes from chuck to ribeye as you get deeper into the loin and gets more tender. Up until recently I was a butcher of 30 years. I've done it all my life. What you have there is a large end ribeye steak. My favorite cut.
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Pogre Audioholic Ninja

Pogre
    This is me a few years ago helping a buddy cut up his elk.

FB_IMG_1502461117176.jpg
    We just threw some plastic on his kitchen table, bought some beer and had at it! I got a couple of nice steaks for helping (I did most of the work, lol) out.

FB_IMG_1502461175234.jpg
    This was from my crew for my birthday. :p

FB_IMG_1502461421502.jpg
    That's me cutting. I'm pretty sure those are ribeyes. If not they're ny strip steaks.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. rojo Audioholic Samurai

rojo
    Just be glad they didn't label the penis.
    rojo,
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. TheWarrior Audioholic Samurai

TheWarrior
    NY strip is my favorite. I don't need the fat for flavor when I can deglaze the pan!
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Pogre Audioholic Ninja

Pogre
    Tube steak wrapped in underwear...
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. GO-NAD! Audioholic Ninja

GO-NAD!
    Looks like someone had already eaten it...
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. GO-NAD! Audioholic Ninja

GO-NAD!
    I have no trouble believing a diesel-powered vehicle never needing gas. ;)
    • Like Like x 2
  15. speakerman39 Audioholic Warlord

speakerman39
    Never tried any Elk. Is it more like beef or pork? Just grilled (3) T-bones and man were they ever tender. Never had any that tender before. Two are gone already. Not sure what happened to them......LOL???? Any ideas? ;););) BTW, those look more like strips than rib eyes to me in the bottom pic.

Cheers,

Phil
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Pogre Audioholic Ninja

Pogre
    Elk and venison are pretty much the same taste wise. If you've had neither it's like really lean beef. Sometimes it can have a gamey taste to it. I used to like to hunt close to cornfields because those deer would have a little more fat. I personally don't mind the gamey flavor. It can turn some folks off. As long as it's cooked right and seasoned properly with salt and pepper it's really pretty good.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. speakerman39 Audioholic Warlord

speakerman39
    Oh I love deer meat. It is very popular here in KY. Mutton is also another popular meat. Of the two, I much prefer mutton. I am just amazed as to how tender the T-bones I grilled today were. However, I prefer Rib-Eye/Chuck-Eye to all cuts of meat. Especially, when it comes to Prime Rib. Thanks for the info!

Cheers,

Phil
    • Like Like x 1
  18. killdozzer Full Audioholic

killdozzer
    One of my trades is Chef. Man, let's open up a place. It'll have the best sound of all restaurants.:):) Of course, you're right about the cut. Chuck leads to Loin, but since you have to decide where to separate them, most of the Rib-eye ends up under the ribs, hence the name.

BTW, congrats on placing it, you're 100% right. I also like these large cuts. They have several muscles in them so you can have different aromas all in one steak.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. killdozzer Full Audioholic

killdozzer
    if I may say so, you look too young to have 30 years of anything. In a good way.;)
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. Pogre Audioholic Ninja

Pogre
    I used to trim the cap off of that first cut on the chuck and sell it as a chuckeye steak. It's pretty much a ribeye tho. Looks like they left the cap and the tendon on yours. That's why I thought it might be off the chuck. When you break the rib from the cuck you count the vertebrae, leaving 7 ribs on the loin. That's how I was taught.

That pic is probably ten years old, but I still look the same, so thank you! :) I'm 47 years old now. My dad owned a slaughterhouse and a mom an pop store with 4 smokehouses. We cured and smoked all our own hams, bacon beef sticks, smoked cheese, garlic bologna, European bacon (sliced from a cured, boneless pork butt) and more that I'm sure I forgot.

I grew up in the sticks in farm country. A slaughterhouse does pretty well in farm country. My dad put me to work cleaning guts, shoveling poop and blood, salting hides, cleaning the pens... yeah. I got on the block too and made stew meat, trimmed bones, grind all the buger... Lots of fun stuff for a 12 year old. :rolleyes: I was a journeyman cutter before I was 18.

I'd give my guys crap every once in a while for taking to long to get things cut and I'd hear, "Not all of us were born with a knife in our hand like you were!" :p

*The cap I'm talking about are the pectoral muscles. We called it "pec meat". Nice and lean. Kinda part of the flat cut of a brisket,
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2017 at 5:21 PM
    • Like Like x 3