Really Boring Stuff Only III: Resurrection

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah, thinking switching 2tb drives to 8tb (like I said it's expensive idea), but now it got me thinking that I'd have 6x2tb drives lying around useless... Tis no good.
Recently saw bunch of very cheap ($200-300) old rack servers on ebay with lots of hd slots. They have everything but drives. Typical to have 2x CPUs, lots of ECC memory (32-48gb+), controllers, psus - the lot. Thinking some maybe a good fit for a replacement freenas box. The problem is old servers had old sas/sata backplane and they won't support 8tb drives well. One should treat carefully.

24x3.5" bay case??? Jeez.
Yeah, I know a lot of the unRAID guys have been grabbing those. I got a steal on 2x Xeon 2670 v1 with 64gig of ram and a motherboard for under $600. PSU and case weren't cheap, but I shouldn't need to upgrade for several years. Check here. Great customer service.

Runs all my dockers and VMs without breaking a sweat.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah, thinking switching 2tb drives to 8tb (like I said it's expensive idea), but now it got me thinking that I'd have 6x2tb drives lying around useless... Tis no good.
Recently saw bunch of very cheap ($200-300) old rack servers on ebay with lots of hd slots. They have everything but drives. Typical to have 2x CPUs, lots of ECC memory (32-48gb+), controllers, psus - the lot. Thinking some maybe a good fit for a replacement freenas box. The problem is old servers had old sas/sata backplane and they won't support 8tb drives well. One should treat carefully.

24x3.5" bay case??? Jeez.
Apparently there are 8tb red drives in this external drive.

Or this. Seems like a good deal to.

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
yeah I've seen this deal and it's crazy imo, but $180 is still not a pocket change and ordering is limited to 3. I need 6
Yeah, that's no pocket change for sure. I'd need at least 2 which is still more than I want to spend right now.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah, that's no pocket change for sure. I'd need at least 2 which is still more than I want to spend right now.
I think it's insane that the retail box, enclosure, usb3 to sata controller, power supply, cables, documentation, packing all could be discounted to be 30% less than just bare drive itself (which this product includes)
It's not the first time I see such crazy deal, I think than 2tb were novelty, I've seen similar deals.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Toggling back and forth between stereo and 5.1 demonstrated that for dialog, my towers worked better with Yammy's Auto YPAO settings than the GEQ settings that I came up with using the auto setting as a starting point for REW ... which I already don't know how to use again. I'm not sure if I should be happy that I'm going to enjoy better dialog capabilities going forward or if I need to take a cold hard look at where I am after 11 years of effing with this sh!t.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I wouldn't be surprised if this forum wasn't still around in 2021, or at least worth posting on anymore.
Adam's last post ... almost a year ago. That's how bored I am and I have things to do. I feel like I'm on the runners mark but the gun won't go off.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Toggling back and forth between stereo and 5.1 demonstrated that for dialog, my towers worked better with Yammy's Auto YPAO settings than the GEQ settings that I came up with using the auto setting as a starting point for REW ... which I already don't know how to use again. I'm not sure if I should be happy that I'm going to enjoy better dialog capabilities going forward or if I need to take a cold hard look at where I am after 11 years of effing with this sh!t.
Guess it's a good thing I unloaded that center on you when I did :D

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Adam's last post ... almost a year ago. That's how bored I am and I have things to do. I feel like I'm on the runners mark but the gun won't go off.
Maybe he doesn't feel the need to come around anymore due to all the nudes you and Doug and Rick post on FB.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Guess it's a good thing I unloaded that center on you when I did :D
Not at all. I still prefer the center for dialog above the towers but having auto eq applied doesn't allow the towers to muddy up the center ... but GEQ is still best for music.

Hey, GG/Pee-Dawg made my day. Toys from Texas made me way happier than I would have expected. Thanks, man. @ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Not at all. I still prefer the center for dialog above the towers but having auto eq applied doesn't allow the towers to muddy up the center ... but GEQ is still best for music.

Hey, GG/Pee-Dawg made my day. Toys from Texas made me way happier than I would have expected. Thanks, man. @ParadigmDawg
We had a box marked "Alex" and just threw random items in there. The box became crazy big and I didn't want to pay for shipping so I just dumped part of it in the smaller box. I am not even sure what you got but I made sure the bananas where there.

We are missing a mostly used bottle of lube...true story....:D

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Last week I was watching something recently produced by amazon, Bosch I think and I sometimes press "O" on Kodi to see tech specs on audio/video codecs. Audio coded eac3 caught my eye. I knew right away it was code for Dolby Digital Plus. In my boredom I looked up pdf manual for my avr and lo and behold - DD+ is supported. I changed Kodi config to pass-thru DD+ to AVR and now I actually got to see DD+ letters on my AVR display first time since I bought it almost 8 years ago.

tl;dr: Native DD+ does sound more clear I guess

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
We had a box marked "Alex" and just threw random items in there. The box became crazy big and I didn't want to pay for shipping so I just dumped part of it in the smaller box.
No kidding. I see what you mean about being happy getting stuff out of the blue like that. I was in a rush before so I didn't have time for a more thought out response. I wasn't really expecting a package like I would be if I had ordered it. Shaking the box rattled the sh!t out of the now loose bananas. Whatever it was could only be some completely shattered shards of anybodie's guess. I saw it was from TX and then knew it was the bananas but why was the box so big? I had been on my way out but these questions demanded immediate answers.

I am not even sure what you got but I made sure the bananas where there.
7 red/5 black loose bananas (note: tape the zip-lock to prevent loss of set screws)
4' 10 ga spearker wire terminated with bananas. (nice)
2 6' HDMI cables. Fatties with that mesh outer jacket.
Roku stick (HDMI)
Harmony H659 remote

At first it didn't register that the Roku had its own remote. I thought I was going to have to figure out how to use the Harmony with the Roku. I know, TSTOG but I did hook up the ROKU and got Amazon Prime Video through it. That only took me half a day. :rolleyes:

We are missing a mostly used bottle of lube...true story....:D
Wrong forum ...

Last week I was watching something recently produced by amazon, Bosch I think and I sometimes press "O" on Kodi to see tech specs on audio/video codecs. Audio coded eac3 caught my eye. I knew right away it was code for Dolby Digital Plus. In my boredom I looked up pdf manual for my avr and lo and behold - DD+ is supported. I changed Kodi config to pass-thru DD+ to AVR and now I actually got to see DD+ letters on my AVR display first time since I bought it almost 8 years ago.

tl;dr: Native DD+ does sound more clear I guess
I'll try it again while paying attention to see if MC audio disappears again. The "O" as in the enter button? I would just go check it out but the girl is watching something and I'm afraid of her.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
No kidding. I see what you mean about being happy getting stuff out of the blue like that. I was in a rush before so I didn't have time for a more thought out response. I wasn't really expecting a package like I would be if I had ordered it. Shaking the box rattled the sh!t out of the now loose bananas. Whatever it was could only be some completely shattered shards of anybodie's guess. I saw it was from TX and then knew it was the bananas but why was the box so big? I had been on my way out but these questions demanded immediate answers.

7 red/5 black loose bananas (note: tape the zip-lock to prevent loss of set screws)
4' 10 ga spearker wire terminated with bananas. (nice)
2 6' HDMI cables. Fatties with that mesh outer jacket.
Roku stick (HDMI)
Harmony H659 remote

At first it didn't register that the Roku had its own remote. I thought I was going to have to figure out how to use the Harmony with the Roku. I know, TSTOG but I did hook up the ROKU and got Amazon Prime Video through it. That only took me half a day. :rolleyes:

Wrong forum ...

I'll try it again while paying attention to see if MC audio disappears again. The "O" as in the enter button? I would just go check it out but the girl is watching something and I'm afraid of her.
I will see if I can find the two missing black ones. If I find them, I am sure I have extra set screws too. Are you saying that some were missing?

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I will see if I can find the two missing black ones. If I find them, I am sure I have extra set screws too. Are you saying that some were missing?
I'm sorry. It was 5.5 pairs (an extra black) and then one of the blacks fell off the terminated speaker wire so I counted that too. Amazingly enough the set screws that rattled loose stayed in the bag but a few whole bananas broke the zip lock and sounded like crazy broken stuff in the sealed box. Nothing is missing, I just have an extra black, right? I've got more stuff to play with than I have time for ATM. No need to send anything else my way. That was already a pretty generous care package you sent up here. I'm thinking of something I might like to get for you as a thank you and I swear, all I can think of is good booze. Maybe an autographed picture of me shirtless.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I don't get hung up on being an Amazon Prime member. I honestly order a lot of stuff from them and never have had an issue as far as I know. There have been times that I think a package is coming and it doesn't and then it comes the next day. Maybe these are actually a day late and I could get a free month of Prime by going through the process(?).

So yesterday I decided I need a new Kreepy Krauly pool vacuum. I am in no hurry but they offered free same day shipping so I figured "why not"? For some reason I got excited when the tracking showed I would receive it by 8 pm yesterday. We got home from dinner at 8 pm so I made myself a Manhattan and turned on some music and was awaiting my package. Nothing came at 8, nothing came at 9, nothing came at 10 and at 10:46 I get an email that states "your package is still on it's way but may arrive later than expected. We're sorry for the inconvenience and we will deliver as soon as possible". Now when you click on "track" it states "if it hasn't arrived by Saturday, May 13, please come back for more options".

Now I am upset. What's the point in offering same day shipping when it may or may not come in 2-3 days?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I don't get hung up on being an Amazon Prime member. I honestly order a lot of stuff from them and never have had an issue as far as I know. There have been times that I think a package is coming and it doesn't and then it comes the next day. Maybe these are actually a day late and I could get a free month of Prime by going through the process(?).

So yesterday I decided I need a new Kreepy Krauly pool vacuum. I am in no hurry but they offered free same day shipping so I figured "why not"? For some reason I got excited when the tracking showed I would receive it by 8 pm yesterday. We got home from dinner at 8 pm so I made myself a Manhattan and turned on some music and was awaiting my package. Nothing came at 8, nothing came at 9, nothing came at 10 and at 10:46 I get an email that states "your package is still on it's way but may arrive later than expected. We're sorry for the inconvenience and we will deliver as soon as possible". Now when you click on "track" it states "if it hasn't arrived by Saturday, May 13, please come back for more options".

Now I am upset. What's the point in offering same day shipping when it may or may not come in 2-3 days?
The only time I've ever had this problem is because USPS in my area (Allen, TX at the time) was so inept it was impossible to find out when I was going to get things. They would scan packages when they loaded the truck as "delivered" when they clearly were not.

I actually had USPS as a customer at the time and told their top management what was happening. Never found out if they did anything. Don't live there anymore so I don't really care.

The worst thing they did was leave outgoing mail in the mailbox and put the incoming mail on top. Apparently my carrier missed the "little red flag" class. :mad:

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
This is what I did this morning.

That's me shooting. We went way out in the desert. Still a state range. As always, we leave with more than we came with. Some folks just don't give a poop and trash the place.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis