Really Boring Stuff Only III: Resurrection

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
@Pogre Why funny tag? This is my actual family room photographed today. at 8 months they still crawl.
Wait till they start running between 1 to 1.5 years. We'll see who's laughing then :) but then again you probably went thru this but forgot.
Yeah, mine's 18. It's been a while. I will for sure be vigilant. I wasn't kidding about the gate. I do have one and will use it if my hand is forced.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
@Pogre Why funny tag? This is my actual family room photographed today. at 8 months they still crawl.
Wait till they start running between 1 to 1.5 years. We'll see who's laughing then :) but then again you probably went thru this but forgot.
It's still funny. ;) I considered doing the same thing before we moved. We'll see how the littlest one does once he starts moving around. The middle child was the worst one. She still won't stop picking up things she shouldn't, but she's two and doesn't really care what anyone says.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
So I'm buying a house tomorrow. Looks like I'll be able to fire up the saw again for projects and do up a home theater room. Not sure I'll have a lot of time for these tasks early on, but we'll see.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
So I'm buying a house tomorrow. Looks like I'll be able to fire up the saw again for projects and do up a home theater room. Not sure I'll have a lot of time for these tasks early on, but we'll see.
I'll be looking for it in the "What new stuff have you bought" thread.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Congrats, Eugene. How's the garage situation? You got room to work?

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Congrats, Eugene. How's the garage situation? You got room to work?
It's a typical two car garage so I'll have one half to work with. At some point I plan some builds. I'd love to try my hands at a TL, but those type of drivers aren't cheap.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
I went to the dump today -- well, not the landfill, but my community waste management facility. After I disposed of my stuff, I went to check out the electronics area. It looked like someone had taken pretty much an entire office to the dump. So I went dumpster diving and came away with treasures:
  • iPod 5th gen 30gb
  • power inverter
  • electric pencil sharpener
  • a mouse ball
  • a few various cables
All for free, and they all work. The iPod has a bunch of Latino songs loaded. I've been pretending I'm Antonio Banderas this evening.

I would've stayed longer and found more treasures, but my wife promised to go get barbecue with me when I finished at the dump.

Today was a great day!

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
So my wife and I were car shopping yesterday, and took a look at the Mazda CX-9 among other things. One of the things she wants is a viable third row without going the minivan route. Her comment about the CX-9 (with a pretty good Forrest Gump impression) was that it would be perfect for carting Lieutenant Dan around. Thanks to this article, now I know how insecure she is, what with making fun of the mentally and physically handicapped, and veterans to boot :eek::confused::D

I guess I'm not any better since I got a pretty good chuckle out of it.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I guess I'm insecure as well since I'll make fun of just about anyone. Even myself. I cry sometimes...:oops:

In all honest though (not that most of the above isn't) articles like that just make people feel bad when they are doing/saying something harmless. Science thought the world was flat and that leeches were good at curing diseases. o_O

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
precarious manhood beliefs: had to be googled after starting to actually read the actual study

I still didn't read the study; probably not gonna. I already know too much.

Edit: I found another phrase: gender-role discrepancy strain.

So my niece is becoming a boy ... seriously. I tell my male relatives that if they ever take a date out in a limo to be sure to get action twice: once on the way there and once on the way back. I'll never say that to ... him.

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
My movie/tv file storage "thingy" (hello Alex :p) is running out of space yet again :(. Every single time I have to clean it becomes a bigger and more boring chore.
Solution is go with bigger drives, but problem is cost. Drives I want cost $260 each and I'd need 6 of these :( :oops: hoping for nice bonus this year

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
My movie/tv file storage "thingy" (hello Alex :p) is running out of space yet again :(. Every single time I have to clean it becomes a bigger and more boring chore.
Solution is go with bigger drives, but problem is cost. Drives I want cost $260 each and I'd need 6 of these :( :oops: hoping for nice bonus this year
You use FreeNAS right? I'm guessing expanding your array isn't all that easy with the way ZFS works.

I'm in a similar boat with unRAID. Every time I get a new drive the space goes away so fast I don't even realize it until I get disk full errors when unpacking movies.

I'd like to move to larger drives, but the expense isn't something I want to mess with. I guess I'll just keep adding 2TB drives until I run out of drive slots.

I don't even want to think about an offsite backup...

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes, freenas with zfs. My plan is to replace each drive, one by one, resilver the volume. Rinse/repeat.
In the end I should have no data loss or need for migration and much more space free.
It's not ideal, but I prefer it to addition drives. Already have 6 of them in the nas.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Yes, freenas with zfs. My plan is to replace each drive, one by one, resilver the volume. Rinse/repeat.
In the end I should have no data loss or need for migration and much more space free.
It's not ideal, but I prefer it to addition drives. Already have 6 of them in the nas.
Yeah, if you want to keep the drive count down then that's the way to go. I'm guessing you're moving to 8tb drives?

Right now I've got a 24 bay case full of 2tb/1tb drives. Well, not full. I've got 7 slots left.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah, if you want to keep the drive count down then that's the way to go. I'm guessing you're moving to 8tb drives?

Right now I've got a 24 bay case full of 2tb/1tb drives. Well, not full. I've got 7 slots left.
Yeah, thinking switching 2tb drives to 8tb (like I said it's expensive idea), but now it got me thinking that I'd have 6x2tb drives lying around useless... Tis no good.
Recently saw bunch of very cheap ($200-300) old rack servers on ebay with lots of hd slots. They have everything but drives. Typical to have 2x CPUs, lots of ECC memory (32-48gb+), controllers, psus - the lot. Thinking some maybe a good fit for a replacement freenas box. The problem is old servers had old sas/sata backplane and they won't support 8tb drives well. One should treat carefully.

24x3.5" bay case??? Jeez.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis