Really Boring Stuff Only III: Resurrection

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I smoked a cigar today, a Padron. I was told that after about an inch of it burned up, the real flavor of the smoke was there. Well, right up to that point I had inhaled lightly of the up until then, light tasting tobacco. After that point I mistakenly inhaled deeply of a not so light flavored tobacco and almost died or at least wanted to die. The smoke exploded in my lungs, making me want to cough like crazy but I suppressed that to not have the smoke tear me a new one on the way out. After I exhaled my lungs felt hurt and my stomach was coming up. I was out on the balcony and didn't want to Ralph over the railing and was relieved to see a flower pot from something we killed years ago. That was going to have to do because it sure seemed like I was going to have to puke before I died from the shear agony of that mistake.

The feeling of dread and doom slowly passed. I took a couple of smallish puffs as the cigar died out of natural causes about half way down. It was pretty nice though until I went too far. It really f^%&ed up what should have been a beautiful 30 minutes. Damn.
I was a prolific cigar aficionado for 15 years, and got up to smoking 4 to 6 a DAY. It was a very expensive habit because I liked the more rare ones, more expensive ones.

Do NOT inhale cigars! What you do is "mouth" the smoke to enjoy its taste, and expel it. It should never go into your lungs. Ever. You have much to learn, and it can be an immensely enjoyable pastime when done right.

I had to quit because I was just out of control and it was not something I could afford at that sustained level. I had quit for over 16 months when I decided I could have ONE on a Friday afternoon when work was done, at the cigar shop with the other guys. Within 3 months I was right back to where I left off, so I now know I cannot enjoy even one toke. I envy those who can have one every couple of weeks while out on the golf course and not worry about it all winter. I am clearly NOT "that guy." Sucks because with the influx of good, genuine Cuban vitolas now abundant, I'm missing out on some great smokes. It's been over 3 years now.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
You only get the full flavor by inhaling the smoke down to your toes.

Everybody knows that.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Seriously bored over here but my cable pants came in. Things are about to get real interesting. There might even be some pic's. Oh yeah ...

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Please don't ever again mention words cable pants and photos in same sentence. I value my sanity

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Please don't ever again mention words cable pants and photos in same sentence. I value my sanity
Unlike most times when I say, "I know you want it", I happen to know you want it. :D

Obviously I did one first and now am more or less happily listening to Pandora in the background on a couple of Infinity 140's or whatever they're called, until I get the other cable squared away.

Now this may be too much for this thread but ... due to my Franken-amp set up, I can power up Dennis's bass cabinets and my DIY subs in conjunction with the 140's from the other side of the room. I may as well get the FL speaker from the living room outfitted with cable pants too but the more I think about it the more it starts seeming like work and I already got sh!t to do ... this place is nothin' but trouble.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Those look good! Are those Sewell Deadbolt banana plugs? I used Blue Jeans Cable locking banana plugs on mine, and "dressed 'em up" with TechFlex sheathing, but I assure you they sound the same as good quality zip cord. Impressive to look at just the same, and isn't that what counts? :D

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Those look good! Are those Sewell Deadbolt banana plugs? I used Blue Jeans Cable locking banana plugs on mine, and "dressed 'em up" with TechFlex sheathing, but I assure you they sound the same as good quality zip cord. Impressive to look at just the same, and isn't that what counts? :D
No, mine sound better !!! :)

These are Sewell something, of that there is no question. Rich got me the 20 pack a few years ago. They work great for when the doubled up bananas won't fit oddly spaced jacks. I've also got some BJC locking bananas in use around here somewhere. Those are my favorite.

The TechFlex is the next level, for sure. I haven't ordered any yet and I'm in no hurry to re-do my connections.

I think I'm going to tell the uninitiated that my speaker cables are water cooled for that hot, hot sound.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
April the giraffe is about to give birth at any moment.

I find it grotesquely amusing that there's a Toys R Us logo on the video stream with a cartoon giraffe sticking its head out of the R. I can't wait for the first Photochop meme of someone putting the real baby giraffe's birth onto the Toys R Us logo. Childhoods will be ruined.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I think they were these Deadbolt Banana Plugs by Sewell Direct.

Was it really a 20 pack? Amazon doesn't seem to have more than a 12 pack now.

Why tell a small lie? Go big or go home. Tell them they're liquid nitrogen cooled, for that hot sound you only get with superconductive speaker cables.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Was it really a 20 pack?
At least a 20 pack, might have been 24, probably was. Good thing too: threading bare copper into binding posts is for the birds.

Crap, now I ought to take my cable pants show out to the living room. I've got all the tools out ... so ... pfff ...

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Cable pants pro tip: buy the right f^%&ing size. Squeezing wires into tight spots is brutally thankless ... but done and all for vanity. Oh wait, there is one more to go ... argh. Maybe in the Fall.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I think they were these Deadbolt Banana Plugs by Sewell Direct.

Was it really a 20 pack? Amazon doesn't seem to have more than a 12 pack now.

Why tell a small lie? Go big or go home. Tell them they're liquid nitrogen cooled, for that hot sound you only get with superconductive speaker cables.

That's them, I used them for my new AVR and I really like them.

Alex, I have a bunch of BJC locking bananas If you want them just let me know.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Cable pants pro tip: buy the right f^%&ing size. Squeezing wires into tight spots is brutally thankless ... but done and all for vanity. Oh wait, there is one more to go ... argh. Maybe in the Fall.
I am really good at sticking big things in tiny holes....

Oh...eff...who am I kidding, I haven't even tried in ages.....

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Alex, I have a bunch of BJC locking bananas If you want them just let me know.
I thought your bananas were the same thing as BJC but rebadged with a 'G' in the name, maybe GLS or something. Anyways, yes please. I could always put them to good use. I wonder if you still have my address. I PM'ed it to you. Thank you.

This reminds me that I need to give Mark Carter a 'thank you' for sending me a head shell for my AR turntable. That's a different thread though with pic's and such. Maybe I'll resurrect an old TT thread I might have had. Maybe not ... but thanks to Mark all the same.

Regarding the Sewells, 24 plugs or 12 pairs is the pack I think I had, not 24 pairs ... but you can never have too many.

I've been thinking about reconfiguring my systems with regard to amplification. I could end up with a couple of extra Marantz mono-blocks if I put a 7 channel amp back in the HT line up. But then laziness sets in and I remember what a pain it was to set things up the way they are.

EDIT: Extreme boredom set in ... enough to over ride the laziness. The FL speaker in the living room now has cable pants on the visible connection at the wall. I'm fresh out of 2 legged cable pants.

Last edited:
ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I thought your bananas were the same thing as BJC but rebadged with a 'G' in the name, maybe GLS or something. Anyways, yes please. I could always put them to good use. I wonder if you still have my address. I PM'ed it to you. Thank you.

This reminds me that I need to give Mark Carter a 'thank you' for sending me a head shell for my AR turntable. That's a different thread though with pic's and such. Maybe I'll resurrect an old TT thread I might have had. Maybe not ... but thanks to Mark all the same.

Regarding the Sewells, 24 plugs or 12 pairs is the pack I think I had, not 24 pairs ... but you can never have too many.

I've been thinking about reconfiguring my systems with regard to amplification. I could end up with a couple of extra Marantz mono-blocks if I put a 7 channel amp back in the HT line up. But then laziness sets in and I remember what a pain it was to set things up the way they are.

EDIT: Extreme boredom set in ... enough to over ride the laziness. The FL speaker in the living room now has cable pants on the visible connection at the wall. I'm fresh out of 2 legged cable pants.
I think mine are GLS, heck, I can't remember. As soon as they are done with the house I will send them to you as I can't get to them right now.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Use lube to help slide on those tight pants.

Southern European Audiophiles insist on extra virgin olive oil. True AudioHolics know that any lube, including mineral oil or vaseline, will do.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis