Really Boring Stuff Only III: Resurrection

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
More expensive fiber filter claim to capture pollen and some other smaller particles
http://www.mechreps.com/PDF/Merv_Rating_Chart.pdf
Yes, they can trap small particles for a short while, and then they clog quickly (after about 1 week), blocking air flow. All home central fans that I know of are not nearly powerful enough to move air through a clogged micro particle filter. People who use them will eventually burn out their fan motor. More than one heat/ac guy have warned me away from using them.

In a past job, I had to validate the performance of the HEPA air filtration systems needed for a Class 100 clean room. It had enormous electric motors to drive the fans.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
By knowing the weather report, and by the user selecting hourly temps, the system will anticipate significant outdoor temp changes, and by knowing the rate of heat loss is able to far more efficiently maintain temps inside the house.
... because we all know that BSA's 1 year old would turn into a nondescript gelatinous blob if the temperature varied by more than 0.25° C!:eek:

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Yes, they can trap small particles for a short while, and then they clog quickly (after about 1 week), blocking air flow. All home central fans that I know of are not nearly powerful enough to move air through a clogged micro particle filter. People who use them will eventually burn out their fan motor. More than one heat/ac guy have warned me away from using them.
^+1
Every HVAC guy I know recommends either the blue fiberglass filters or the most porous pleated type.
The micro particle filters restrict too much air even when brand new.
What ends up happening, the A-coil freezes, with the loss of adequate warm return airflow.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
They can't be that bad! I've been using 3M Filtrete filters for 16 years! Haven't had to replace a unit yet!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
You see my location being past Hurt? That's Hurt, Virginia. Go ahead, look it up. The roads getting there from I-81 look like this:

The fofo tears that sh!t UP !!! (sarcasm) ...

I've been on a lot of road trips but this is the only time I ever stopped to take pictures of the road. I got lucky and found a spot to pull over close to that 3-D hairpin turn in the first pic.
Looks like a fun road (for a motorcycle)!
I always had a blast riding roads like this, I came to the realization that my attention was simply focused on a 6" patch of asphalt about 50' in front of me where I planned my front wheel to be about 1 second later! That 6" patch controlled everything I did, but without any conscious effort/thought. It was a fantastic experience and I was just along to enjoy the ride!
At the time I was using the bike almost exclusively - rain, shine, or snow (rain suit, electric vest, etc). I don't know how long it would take to get back to that level of proficiency.
Did you (or anyone else) ever get that? Before that, I have only had a similar experience when playing music and I give my reflexes over to the music.

BTW, I used to have a 2000 ZX3 fofo. It was weak on power, but was one of the better handling cars I have driven. That was when the fofo's were designed by Ford Works in Germany:
from Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Focus_(first_generation)
Where many competitors in the compact class, or small family car (European) class, used the less expensive non-independent twist beam suspension, Control Blade offered enhanced elasto-kinematic performance, i.e., strong body control, sharp and accurate steering regardless of the car's attitude, and an absorbent and quiet ride over bumps.

Unlike conventional multi-link suspension, Control Blade features a wide, simple, uniform thickness, pressed steel trailing arm with hub carrier – taking the place of two longitudinal locating rods, eliminating an expensive cast knuckle, and offering the same level of body control – with a lower center of gravity, reduced road noise, and at lower production cost. The long rear lateral arm controls toe, a pair of shorter front lateral arms, vertically above each other, control the camber, and the Control Blade reacts to brake and traction loads.

In testing the suspension in 2000, Motor Trend writer Jack Keebler noted "The Focus' average speed of 62.6 mph through our slalom makes it faster around the cones than a $62,000 Jaguar XJ8L and a $300,000 Bentley Continental. The impression is of having plenty of wheel travel for gobbling the larger stuff and big-car, full-frame isolation when encountering expansion joints and smaller road imperfections."[9]

Following the 1998 introduction of Control Blade suspension and popularization by the Focus, other manufacturers (e.g., Volkswagen with the Golf V) began offering multi-link design rear suspensions in the compact class, or small family car (European) class.[8][10]
Later models (and I presume yours) went with a Japanese (Mazda) design that was like a basic Corolla.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Looks like a fun road (for a motorcycle)!
I always had a blast riding roads like this, I came to the realization that my attention was simply focused on a 6" patch of asphalt about 50' in front of me where I planned my front wheel to be about 1 second later! That 6" patch controlled everything I did, but without any conscious effort/thought. It was a fantastic experience and I was just along to enjoy the ride!
At the time I was using the bike almost exclusively - rain, shine, or snow (rain suit, electric vest, etc). I don't know how long it would take to get back to that level of proficiency.
Did you (or anyone else) ever get that? Before that, I have only had a similar experience when playing music and I give my reflexes over to the music.

BTW, I used to have a 2000 ZX3 fofo. It was weak on power, but was one of the better handling cars I have driven. That was when the fofo's were designed by Ford Works in Germany:
from Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Focus_(first_generation)

Later models (and I presume yours) went with a Japanese (Mazda) design that was like a basic Corolla.
I picked holes up ahead in traffic that I wanted to pass through. That kept me advancing on traffic and worrying less about the motorists around and behind me. Those reflexes and skills are long gone and never to return. I found motorcycling and skiing to be similar in the way you were out in the open while getting that rush from speed.

My fofo is a y2k with that Zetec 2.0L dual cam set up. 130bhp ZX4 power house. I have yet to get a speeding ticket in that car.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
They can't be that bad! I've been using 3M Filtrete filters for 16 years! Haven't had to replace a unit yet!
You're lucky. Still, if you go to a standard filter, you'll get noticeably better air flow. It'll make a difference in the room that is furthest from the furnace.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I picked holes up ahead in traffic that I wanted to pass through. That kept me advancing on traffic and worrying less about the motorists around and behind me. Those reflexes and skills are long gone and never to return. I found motorcycling and skiing to be similar in the way you were out in the open while getting that rush from speed.

My fofo is a y2k with that Zetec 2.0L dual cam set up. 130bhp ZX4 power house. I have yet to get a speeding ticket in that car.
I never had that great experience with traffic around. My commute to work was usually wide open until I reached the highway. Most people would get on the highway as quickly as possible which left the secondary roads pleasantly traffic free.

I could see skiing being similar with the sense of swoop and glide and how after awhile the "right way" becomes automatic.

So, sounds like you had a fofo from the German era? Definitely short on power, but mine with manual tranny would accelerate from 15-35 pretty quick going downhill:) and you didn't have to brake as much as many cars!

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
You're lucky. Still, if you go to a standard filter, you'll get noticeably better air flow. It'll make a difference in the room that is furthest from the furnace.
At this point, it is my ex who is lucky!
As long as our daughter who had asthma is staying with us both, we will keep the micro-allergen filters in place.

The home I moved into came with these - 9 years and counting:

http://www.carrier.com/residential/en/us/products/indoor-air-quality/air-cleaners/gapa/

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
When older thermostats get the job done and have been shown over the years to work reliably, why are software-based, internet-based thermostats considered progress?
Because I can sit in my chair in the living room and change the temperature with my phone without having to move much. Sadly, I'm not even remotely joking.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
... because we all know that BSA's 1 year old would turn into a nondescript gelatinous blob if the temperature varied by more than 0.25° C!:eek:
No, see above. Husband! I'm too cold!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
No, see above. Husband! I'm too cold!
I was thinking she now presents it as the baby that is too cold, and she had assumed the lethal role of protective mother to insure her delicate baby does not incur said gelatinous blob condition!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I was thinking she now presents it as the baby that is too cold, and she had assumed the lethal role of protective mother to insure her delicate baby does not incur said gelatinous blob condition!
Ah yes. You're 100% correct. Sorry, I'm slow sometimes :)

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I have known that with skiing :).

When I dream about skiing, I go back to this place
https://skimap.org/data/552/7/1220707568.pdf
The Double Black Diamond, Triple Chicken Sh!t, You Gonna Die run ... :D ... because I wanted to go down that side of the mountain on my face.

So, sounds like you had a fofo from the German era?
I think so. They call it Euro-styling, meaning the battery is twice as expensive as it needs to be. As far as speed and power go, once I got a taste of 0-60 in 3 seconds on a bike, going fast in cars felt like I was making the car go fast as opposed to feeling like the bike was making me go fast. Oh yeah, balls ... that also went the way of my reflexes and riding skills.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
As far as speed and power go, once I got a taste of 0-60 in 3 seconds on a bike, going fast in cars felt like I was making the car go fast as opposed to feeling like the bike was making me go fast.
True. Once I started riding, cars (that I would be willing to pay for) just didn't do it any more...and if I could afford them, I would have reached some combination of lost license/dead (since you have to go twice as fast to feel the same thrill in a car). Maybe a go kart like the Ariel Atom would be close to a bike, but it would probably be suicidal to drive in any traffic.

Oh, and don't count your balls out just yet! As you get older those balls that fell into atrophy go through a metamorphosis and come back with a "don't give a $hit, arshole" vibe (which is why teenagers usually get along with their grandparents)! It's not as fun as the "screw anything that moves" balls, but more fun that atrophied balls.:)

Last edited:
Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
3M makes at least six different filter types, I don't think anyone said they were "Bad."
In fact they filter very well. It's just the other problems that the reduced airflow causes.
I use their most basic 3M filter. It filters better than the blue fiberglass and not as restrictive as the micro filters.
There are always some variables, but generally speaking that's the cause and effect.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
It was at least consistent doing that 10 degree swing...
That's the problem using "Auto" on our Honeywells. It can swap from heat to cool, but has a stated and actual swing of +/- 3deg. That's a 6deg window within which it operates. Too much for us.

So though it has all the programmable function, we keep it on "Permanent Hold", and bump the temp up/down as desired.

The air circulating feature mentioned by TheWarrior is real nice. When turned on, ours cycles the fan on 30% of the time. It's helpful for filtering the air, "cleaning" odors w/ the ultraviolet filter, and especially in distributing some heat when we have a fire in the fireplace. The thermostat is in the same room as the fireplace, so the heater never comes on. The kitchen and bathroom can get pretty chilly.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis