Realistic Bookshelf

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
<font color='#000000'>I had this little pair of speakers on my previous H/T. They were used as my rear surround on a Onkyo Pro-Logic receiver. They only got 25W per channel from this receiver. The output for the front was 60W per channel. I had my old Cerwin Vega D7's on that end.

Well, I moved these little gems, receiver, eq, &amp; tape deck to the shop today. I hooked it all up, with the little gems on the main output this time, and figured I would get a plain ole radio sound that would work for the shop. Well what I got was a shocking BIG sound!

So now I am wondering what a satellite system with these and a sub would sound like. Anyway, the point is, these would be great speakers to use in the garage or apartment at a very low cost!

They have changed the name, but these are the same speakers I have! check em out!</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
zipper

zipper

Full Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>If these are the old Radio shack jobs you're right. They sound pretty good.But they won't last long in a garage or a place where they will be exposed to any moisture. I had 4 of them,with 2 of them being mounted in my Camaro. They started getting noisy so I replaced them with the others.They went bad after a while too.</font>

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
<font color='#000000'>I thought about that, but I believe they would still be great for a small room. They are old now, so I guess they will ruin soon.
I just could not believe the sound coming out of these little speakers!
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
U

Unregistered

If they were real old, they aren't the same speaker. I bought the "optimus" version about 17 years after buying the original R.S. model and the components were completely different. Biggest difference the original's soft dome tweeter. It was very open.

U

Unregistered

These little guys are scary aren't they. I first heard about them in Glass Audio Magazine many a year ago in which they talked about a small modification done to a pair of Minimus 7's (which is what they use to be) driven by a modified Dynaco Stereo 70 amplifier. I bought a pair to use in a surround system (then a Fosgate DSM 3608). I still have them in use with the small surround system portion of my TV for general televion viewing.

They still scare me the way they sound to this day. One of those rare little nuggets that you occasionally find in the world of audio.

P

Polkfan

Audioholic
I agree whole heartedly! I have the 40-5003s as my surrounds in my HT set, those are great sounding speakers. :D

D

dontsleep

Enthusiast
Yep,Great speakers.I got them for $10 each on clearence a few years ago when they were optimus.I,m using them right now for my pc with a
GLI PRO GA-70 2ch power amp.

Karp

Karp

Audioholic
I am currently using the Optimus Pro LX 5's as my surrounds. They have the dipole Linaeum ribbon tweeters mounted on the top. Great highs and mids, and the bass isn't too bad for the size of the speaker. Gonna put them in bedroom when I upgrade.

The tweeter really kicks a**. If you could order them seperately, I would recommend them for anyone building dyi speakers.

burningrooster

Audiophyte
you are using an amp with your computer i currently output my soundblaster live through a Yamaha RXV 2300 and recieve quite a bit of feed back from it. I did not notice any comming from my luxman prior to the Yammy but am experiencing it now. I am certain it is not the input as i have connected other sources to it and its fine. I was wondering if you may have any ideas.

JoeE SP9

JoeE SP9

Senior Audioholic
Minimus 7's

I have a pair of the original Minimus 7's in my bedroom. Hooked up with a small sub they sound great. They put many of the current mini-monitors to shame. They were $50 each when new and well worth the price. :cool:

zipper

zipper

Full Audioholic
The Min. 7's are what I had.Thanks for jogging my memory Joe.Solid,heavy little guys with nice bass,great overall sound.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis