Ready to buy a Subwoofer. Suggestions please?

A

audioholic212

Audioholic
Hi,

Please bear with me and the loaded (and a little confused) questions. I am ready for a subwoofer (or two).

I am probably on the final phase of my HT setup.

Here is the layout of my living room.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showpost.php?p=517359&postcount=7

So, now that you have an idea of the size of the room (the ceiling is 10 feet high if I am not wrong).

Here is my HT setup until now.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showpost.php?p=635064&postcount=63

My signature will give you an idea of my whole HT.

Budget is not really open but, wide. Anywhere from 500 to 1500.

I am thinking of buying a SVS PB12-NSD off Craigslist for now.

I know one PB12-NSD is definitely an upgrade but, two might be better for the reasons mentioned in an Audioholics article.

Also, I have a one year old so, I may hold off (or maybe not - if getting a good deal) on buying the second one due to the fact that the second sub will have to be placed diagonally across from the first one, and hence will be out of the huge baby gate that I have in the front of the room.

I have a couple of questions at least.

1). While one PB12-NSD won't fill (or will it) the whole room (open plan, of course), will two PB12-NSD's fill the room fine?

2). Would you suggest a better sub setup?

3). SVS is coming up with the new PB12-NSD with DSP amp. Now, if I were to buy a second sub from SVS, would that be advisable since eventhough they are technically similar models, they are different subs?

4). Or would you suggest the best and the new PB12-Plus with DSP (I know I am waiting for the subwoofer shootout too, since it's the POY award winner this year) and be happy with the one sub. Or to put it differently, will two PB12-NSD's beat one PB12-Plus with DSP Sledge AMP anytime?

I really appreciate any suggestions and answers you have.

Last edited:
A

audioholic212

Audioholic
Wow, 50 views and still no inputs. I wonder if I asked the question the wrong way or is it just not my day today...

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
If you can afford $1,500, spend $1,500. A couple of Epik Empires would do nice in that space if you can fit them. SVS, HSU, and eD are excellent options as well.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I would contact SVS and Hsu and Elemental Designs have them size you a solution. With it that open it's probably a two sub room.

C

ChunkyDark

Full Audioholic
I agree with the others, split your money between 2 subs instead of one. Better volume and less localization.
All the brand recommendations are very solid, but you might want to wait and see what the results of the sub shoot out that audioholics is conducting. Honestly though, between those recommended here none are going to suck :D so don't sweat it too much.

A

audioholic212

Audioholic
Thank you people.

Really appreciate your input. I emailed SVS, HSU and eD for their suggestions on my setup and gave my budget.

Let's see what they come up with.

Anybody else I should consider? I know Epic, but, I am biased towards ported subs and Epik doesn't seem to have any right now.

Anybody else I should be considering?

THank you.

A

audioholic212

Audioholic
Now that Audioholics came up with the Emotiva review, I am leaning towards buying a pair of Emotiva's Ultra 12s.

Would anybody have a first hand knowledge about these subs compared to Hsu, SVS or eD?

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Now that Audioholics came up with the Emotiva review, I am leaning towards buying a pair of Emotiva's Ultra 12s.

Would anybody have a first hand knowledge about these subs compared to Hsu, SVS or eD?
They're sealed, so in a decent sized room you can't expect too much low end. They will give you lots of mid bass output and good sound quality though.

Your choice has to be based on your room!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
With a kid around, I would take a hard look at down-firing subwoofers, so the kid doesn't get curious and puncture the woofer. Believe me, he/she will once you have your back turned. Look at LFM subs from Outlaw Audio, or the down-firing subs available from Rythmik, or the Hsu VTF2. Alternatively you could get a sub with a metal grill. I don't know too many of those except the SVS PB13 Ultra. I'd also be worried about the cylinder subs from SVS, those woofers are pretty exposed for down-firing subs, not much to protect them from children.

A

audioholic212

Audioholic
With a kid around, I would take a hard look at down-firing subwoofers, so the kid doesn't get curious and puncture the woofer. Believe me, he/she will once you have your back turned. Look at LFM subs from Outlaw Audio, or the down-firing subs available from Rythmik, or the Hsu VTF2. Alternatively you could get a sub with a metal grill. I don't know too many of those except the SVS PB13 Ultra. I'd also be worried about the cylinder subs from SVS, those woofers are pretty exposed for down-firing subs, not much to protect them from children.
Wow, I never thought of that. I guess I would by needing the metal grille for atleast ONE sub which will be exposed out of the huge baby gate...Hmm, thank you for the heads up...

A

audioholic212

Audioholic
They're sealed, so in a decent sized room you can't expect too much low end. They will give you lots of mid bass output and good sound quality though.

Your choice has to be based on your room!
You know, you are right. I have to stop digressing from the subs mentioned here (HSU, SVS and eD). I already decided that I didn't want sealed subs anyway and I seem to be going back...

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Consider the JBL 4641. It's an 18 inch passive sub which can be handled by any amp with bass management. Cost is about $800.00 on the street. It will get the job done.

A

audioholic212

Audioholic
Hi,

Can anybody please comment on TWO HSU STF-2's in my setup?

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
I built an 18" down firing sub that rocks our house big time. Including a BFD and a 2000 watt amp, it all came to about $1100. If you can work with your hands, it can be a very worthwhile project.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I built an 18" down firing sub that rocks our house big time. Including a BFD and a 2000 watt amp, it all came to about $1100. If you can work with your hands, it can be a very worthwhile project.
Or 2x TubaHT. Very large, even with the smaller version. Will easily fit into budget, and with the savings, I might add to the home insurance coverage.

You could get a Crown XTi amp for $500 (I got the 2000w version for that price). Use one channel per each sub. The subs are silly efficient. Download BandManager from Crown (aka JBL/Infinity) for free to your computer, connect USB to your amp, and now have 20 presets to play with in terms of input setting, PEQ with wide ranging Q selectivity, shelf filters, and more. You can try your hand at REW for free, or perhaps lean towards an OmniMic system at $300 like I may do in the future.

So, $1500 for two THTs, a solid amp w/ free software, and an easy to use measuring system. Can't beat it.

Hire any woodworker, cabinet maker, carpenter, worth half his salt, pay him a decent wage to help you if need be for say a handful of hours, and you'll still probably come within budget.

No exposed woofer. Big though. Heck you could just start with one, and it'll still blow away anything you've heard before.

http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/THT.html

T

TheGovernment

Enthusiast
How bout a seaton submersive? or a JTR captivator? they would rockj the house.

A

audioholic212

Audioholic
Thank you for all the suggestions. I am not up to going the DIY way. So, would anybody know if two STF-2's be enough for this room?

A

audioholic212

Audioholic
Thank you guys. I finally decided to go with Dual HSU VTF-2 MK3 , instead of a single HSU VTF-15

S

Sounds Good

Senior Audioholic
Keep us posted, since Uncle Sam is sending me some money soon, i am in the same "i dunno which sub to buy" boat...

in the <$1000 range there are SOOOO many to pick from, and the feeling i get is that NONE of them would be a bad choice... BUT... being the person i am, i cant be the one to make that decision... lol...

Keep us posted.. :)

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Let us know how you like em. The VTF-2.3 is on my list of subs within financial reach :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis